Rules are not working

my email rule is not work

1,059 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

CeiWcJ@outlook.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you, everyone, for reporting this issue to us. We understand the frustration around this issue that has been ongoing for some time, and are working to track down issues.

In order to help us pinpoint issues, please be as descriptive as possible in highlighting what your specific issue is when posting a comment.

In the meanwhile, here are some instructions and help to attempt to mitigate issues with your Mailbox:

- In order to create rules: 1) Right-click on a specific email and select “Create rule”. 2) Select the overflow menu in the top menu bar and click “Create rule”. 3) Click “Settings” → “Mail” → “Rules” → “Add new rules”

- Rules run in order from top to bottom on your rules list in the rules settings page. If you have a rule created with the option “Stop processing more rules” (enabled by default), once that rule condition is met, no further rules will be applied in your list. In order to change the priority of rules running, click the up or down arrows on any rule on the rules settings page.

- In order to create rules looking for recurring keywords, under the “Add a condition” step, select one or more conditions under the “Keywords” header.

- To verify your rule is active and running, please ensure the toggle is set to the blue “On” position on the rules settings page.

- To block unwanted spam by a specific sender address, either 1) right-click on an email and click “Block” or 2) Select “Junk” → “Block”

- To block unwanted spam by an entire domain, select “Settings” → “Mail” → “Junk email”, and under the “Blocked senders and domains” section, select “Add”. Ensure the domain you wish to block only includes the address following the @ character in an email address. For example: “fourthcoffee.com“

Colin

262 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • justlyds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules in hotmail are not working and as a result I am unable to redirect the inexcusable amount of unwanted emails I receive each day to deleted items.

• Why do you hate us? commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have tried setting rules as per instructions, making sure it is set to on etc. I have tried the sweep function and included the option for future messages being swept into junk. I still have to go in each time and do this manually... I get that spammers buy a lot of email addresses so they can keep going with the spam and all, but come on; these rules and sweeping do not appear to do anything other than the one manual action each time, no change the next time I am in my email.

• DS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rule don't work... microsoft does NOTHING about it. Why bother including a feature that doesn't work at all !

• Bldr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not working. Very frustrating. How difficult could it be for Microsoft to set this up and test it properly? It's not you are a small company depending on volunteers or so. Come on!

• Brian Boulden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules for email are not working. I have multiple rules and none of them work, so I end up with tons of SPAM mail

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules only work half the time. I put several key words to delete the spam coming into my junk folder, I don't even want to see them, it is hit or miss whether or not they work.

Fix this issue, something so basic doesn't work? Come on!

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your suggestion does not make sense to me. First you say to right click and select Create rule, then hit the overflow and click on Create rule again. First of all, after you right click a box comes up and the overflow is not immediately available. You have to click on it twice and then the first box goes away. Then you say to Click on Settings... Where? All I see in the box is More Options. If you click on this it either does nothing or it's so slow as to be effectively useless. The bottom line is that if I right click on an email and select Create a Rule it will work the first time and then if you do it for a subsequent email it will tell you it can't do it at this time and to try again later. Then, for those that "worked" (really not), it doesn't put the email in the folder I selected but in the Junk Email folder. Another words Create a rule does not work... period. This is the worst version of Outlook I've ever used and if it isn't fixed soon I'm switching to gmail. This is just not worth the aggravation. I've spent a lot of time trying to Create rules and it just does not work, not if you define work as doing what you want it to do. Please fix this and don't just provide a solution that makes no sense and does not work anyway.

• brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

im looking fi
    or some pictures I stored in outlook about 4 1/2 years ago and cant find them where would I look

It's July and this issue is still happening. It has nothing to do with how we set up the rules. You guys need to fix this issue! We are seriously getting spammed!

• CARL MARSDEN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can add as many rules as you like and NOTHING will happen the spam messages will still get to your junk/inbox

We are told all the time that Outlook are looking at ways to sort this well two years after the problem first start they have done bugger all I would not hold my breath this matter is going away any time soon.

I live in the UK so why would I like any mail offering any service from the USA? Anything mail from the United nations or for that matter Trump care or any mail that ends with host.

Host - to access a computer from a remote location or to infect I have warned Outlook a number of times that if I can prove I have a virus on my computer that is sent via one of these spam emails I will take them to court and claim for the loss of work ect Outlook don't give a dam and are not listening well it's now about time they did and started acting. This problem only started when the new windows 10 software came out.I also believe that spammers are looking at these comments as when posts are made you can bet that spam emails double. And Outlook you do know that it's not legal to post someones email address you should only be posting a username so I will be letting the police here in the UK and internet crime team know that you are breaking these said rules.

• JamesPaulsen_1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules not working. Create rule for same e-mail several times a day. Mark as NOT JUNK gets put in junk mail...even though rule was created.

WHY do you POST our email address in these comments! SAD that you don't want to help us with issues without creating MORE issues to affect our email box!!!

I want to STOP all JUNK Subscriptions from being placed in my Subscriptions folder. I WOULD LIKE TO be able to CLEAN ALL listed subscriptions without having to Unsubscribe from each, which causes them to SEND more JUNK! YOU that have access to manage this OUTLOOK system, should be able to DELETE the Subscription folder and then ADD it back into the system. NOTE: NEED to remove ALL items in Subscription folder and start clean! Have hundreds that I NEVER accepted. WHY? I can trace them to be the HUNDREDS of unwanted Junk folder items each day in junk folder that takes up much of my time making sure GOOD emails are NOT in JUNK FOLDER. This all started in March 2019. WHY?

NOTE 2: Ben getting Flooded with newsletter@---emails since June 25th 2019...I have been getting these newsletter@---emails since March 2019 and they are closely related to NON requested Subscriptions.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suddenly getting FLOODED with newsletter@~~~ emails. For the last week. Dozens a day. I have tried to block them with a Rule looking for 'newsletter' in the sender's address, but it doesn't seem to stop them. They keep filling my junk folder and occasionally they slip into my Inbox.

I create rules all the time and they never work. Any help? I can't find Hotmail contact information anywhere.

Rules are not working, this has been going on for way too long.
    It's about time i give up on hotmail and move to Gmail including cloud services etc..

• Minda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have tried to "sweep" the same emails for months. I create the rule to delete them before they hit my email...HAS NOT WORKED ONCE!!!!!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base