Rules are not working

my email rule is not work

971 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

CeiWcJ@outlook.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you, everyone, for reporting this issue to us. We understand the frustration around this issue that has been ongoing for some time, and are working to track down issues.

In order to help us pinpoint issues, please be as descriptive as possible in highlighting what your specific issue is when posting a comment.

In the meanwhile, here are some instructions and help to attempt to mitigate issues with your Mailbox:

- In order to create rules: 1) Right-click on a specific email and select “Create rule”. 2) Select the overflow menu in the top menu bar and click “Create rule”. 3) Click “Settings” → “Mail” → “Rules” → “Add new rules”

- Rules run in order from top to bottom on your rules list in the rules settings page. If you have a rule created with the option “Stop processing more rules” (enabled by default), once that rule condition is met, no further rules will be applied in your list. In order to change the priority of rules running, click the up or down arrows on any rule on the rules settings page.

- In order to create rules looking for recurring keywords, under the “Add a condition” step, select one or more conditions under the “Keywords” header.

- To verify your rule is active and running, please ensure the toggle is set to the blue “On” position on the rules settings page.

- To block unwanted spam by a specific sender address, either 1) right-click on an email and click “Block” or 2) Select “Junk” → “Block”

- To block unwanted spam by an entire domain, select “Settings” → “Mail” → “Junk email”, and under the “Blocked senders and domains” section, select “Add”. Ensure the domain you wish to block only includes the address following the @ character in an email address. For example: “fourthcoffee.com”

For more help with spam, please visit: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/help-keep-spam-and-junk-email-out-of-your-inbox-in-outlook-com-a3ece97b-82f8-4a5e-9ac3-e92fa6427ae4

229 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • E.J. Plaisier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been trying for months to regulate my e-mail, and to make the rules work, but somehow some rules will just not work. What can I do? Can someone please help me?

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You used to have much more elaborate rules in the old version, now you have reverted to a set of primitive ones and even they do not work for so many people - and you call this improvement??? Shame on you!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Edit blocked senders does not work. If I delete the sender name (leaving only the domain), save, and reload, the change is not made. If I save the list once, and continue editing the list afterwards, the 'Save' button is never enabled again. I have to reload Outlook Live and go back to settings each time to enable Saving, but no changes are saved.

• T. B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules - THEY DO NOT WORK. (Period) I've created rules for the same email addresses over a dozen times stating to go into my inbox. They still arrive in Junk Mail.

• dawnknic@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please stop telling us how to create a rule. That's not the answer we need. The rules do not work! Why does it default to stop processing rules? Why create a rule if you don't want it to work more than once

• Fed up with Outlook rules that never work commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Inbox rules in outlook are ****. They don't work and they don't let you choose "stop processing rules" even if you go back a hundred times on the same rule and uncheck it - it always defaults to "stop processing rules" which means all all sorts of email ****, spam and phishing gets through. I receive thousands of spam emails in outlook and almost nothing in Gmail. Fix the rules!

• Glen de Marcos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules not working at all. The discussion is not whether Gmails functionality is better or not, is that you have the entire UI looking stunning but you can't get the underlying functionality to work. I am not blaming anyone (for what I know maybe a rogue Gmail lover Outlook employee messed this up) but It has been almost 2 months since you acknowledged the issue. Please resolve this.

• jon ward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why bother having the option of rules filter when it doesn't work? I have so many words included under 4 options, but what happens, yeap they are ignored. Luckily, perhaps not the right word, I use my laptop to block, it doesn't help but with phones, blocking is only for 200 addresses. About time that was massively increased.

i've created a rule that includes specific word in the subject "cbd" to delete the message. and what do i find in my junk mail folder, a CBD email with CBD in the subject.

• dawnknic@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to be able to create rules that work. Why does the default on a new rule say stop processing rule. When I try to uncheck that box to keep running the rules it goes back to stop processing. When I go into Sweep it says I have no rules when indeed if it worked I have at least 50 rules but none work

• Angela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules to filter and sort emails into folders do not work and refuse to run. Please fix ASAP!

There is a link under the Rules menu that states, “If your rules aren’t working, generate a report.” However, whenever I click on this it attempts to process for awhile and always inevitably responds, “We can’t send an email right now. Please try again later.” But it never works no matter what and the rules still are not functioning.

I only have one rule that clearly uses one keyword in the subject line or body or the sender address and have asked it to sort to a folder I created. The rule is set to On/Enabled but still never works.

When I reached out to the website who sends these emails I want to sort, they stated I had stopped receiving their emails because they were being rejected by my email server which typically happens when emails are directed to the spam or junk folder for an extended period of time. I always manually organized these into another folder from my Junk Email before I stopped receiving them. I don’t want these emails in my main Inbox, but I also don’t want Outlook to reject them if they’re going to my Junk Email and really need to be able to redirect these to the folder I created for them. Please help!

Rules not working & THEY are unable to generate their own feedback/email. I have several repetitive rules because I keep creating them BECAUSE your ******* buggy software only does one thing well; spy on users to produce adware & reports for NSA... Fix it or don't. I don't care. I am converting to all Linux when Win 7 is dropped. Running both now as I convert. Can't believe I didn't do this years ago.

• David Giebink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules don't work! I've pop linked another email account to outlook.com. I want to auto move incoming email from that account to an inbox subfolder 'other'. Rule should be if recipient address includes me@other.com move to other. It doesn't work. Please fix!
    p.s. outlook also needs a way to test a rule ... like run rule on all messages in inbox and/or current folder.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base