Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

CeiWcJ@outlook.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more details  ·  AdminOutlook.com Moderator (Admin, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Thank you, everyone, for reporting this issue to us. We understand the frustration around this issue that has been ongoing for some time, and are working to track down issues.

In order to help us pinpoint issues, please be as descriptive as possible in highlighting what your specific issue is when posting a comment.

In the meanwhile, here are some instructions and help to attempt to mitigate issues with your Mailbox:

- In order to create rules: 1) Right-click on a specific email and select “Create rule”. 2) Select the overflow menu in the top menu bar and click “Create rule”. 3) Click “Settings” → “Mail” → “Rules” → “Add new rules”

- Rules run in order from top to bottom on your rules list in the rules settings page. If you have a rule created with the option “Stop processing more rules” (enabled by default), once that rule condition is met, no further rules will be applied in your list. In order to change the priority of rules running, click the up or down arrows on any rule on the rules settings page.

- In order to create rules looking for recurring keywords, under the “Add a condition” step, select one or more conditions under the “Keywords” header.

- To verify your rule is active and running, please ensure the toggle is set to the blue “On” position on the rules settings page.

- To block unwanted spam by a specific sender address, either 1) right-click on an email and click “Block” or 2) Select “Junk” → “Block”

- To block unwanted spam by an entire domain, select “Settings” → “Mail” → “Junk email”, and under the “Blocked senders and domains” section, select “Add”. Ensure the domain you wish to block only includes the address following the @ character in an email address. For example: “fourthcoffee.com”

For more help with spam, please visit: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/help-keep-spam-and-junk-email-out-of-your-inbox-in-outlook-com-a3ece97b-82f8-4a5e-9ac3-e92fa6427ae4

216 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jon ward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why bother having the option of rules filter when it doesn't work? I have so many words included under 4 options, but what happens, yeap they are ignored. Luckily, perhaps not the right word, I use my laptop to block, it doesn't help but with phones, blocking is only for 200 addresses. About time that was massively increased.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i've created a rule that includes specific word in the subject "cbd" to delete the message. and what do i find in my junk mail folder, a CBD email with CBD in the subject.

• dawnknic@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to be able to create rules that work. Why does the default on a new rule say stop processing rule. When I try to uncheck that box to keep running the rules it goes back to stop processing. When I go into Sweep it says I have no rules when indeed if it worked I have at least 50 rules but none work

• Angela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules to filter and sort emails into folders do not work and refuse to run. Please fix ASAP!

There is a link under the Rules menu that states, “If your rules aren’t working, generate a report.” However, whenever I click on this it attempts to process for awhile and always inevitably responds, “We can’t send an email right now. Please try again later.” But it never works no matter what and the rules still are not functioning.

I only have one rule that clearly uses one keyword in the subject line or body or the sender address and have asked it to sort to a folder I created. The rule is set to On/Enabled but still never works.

When I reached out to the website who sends these emails I want to sort, they stated I had stopped receiving their emails because they were being rejected by my email server which typically happens when emails are directed to the spam or junk folder for an extended period of time. I always manually organized these into another folder from my Junk Email before I stopped receiving them. I don’t want these emails in my main Inbox, but I also don’t want Outlook to reject them if they’re going to my Junk Email and really need to be able to redirect these to the folder I created for them. Please help!

Rules not working & THEY are unable to generate their own feedback/email. I have several repetitive rules because I keep creating them BECAUSE your ******* buggy software only does one thing well; spy on users to produce adware & reports for NSA... Fix it or don't. I don't care. I am converting to all Linux when Win 7 is dropped. Running both now as I convert. Can't believe I didn't do this years ago.

• David Giebink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules don't work! I've pop linked another email account to outlook.com. I want to auto move incoming email from that account to an inbox subfolder 'other'. Rule should be if recipient address includes me@other.com move to other. It doesn't work. Please fix!
        p.s. outlook also needs a way to test a rule ... like run rule on all messages in inbox and/or current folder.

Microsoft is unwilling to expose MTA rejection via rules. Deleting is as useless as blackholing.

• dawnknic@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anyone else having trouble making rules tat don't work? I don't even have a button support says I need to push to run Rules. I have tons of rules but they don't work and when I try to do a sweep it says I have not made any rules! Maybe I'm just dub but I'm not sure what else to do

• Carlene Weiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some rules that I create don't work. When I click on the button to generate a report, it thinks for about 2 or 3 minutes then tells me that I can't send email right now and to try again later.....

• meghan.elizondo@511th.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Rules UI is buggy and the general interface is buggy. I tried outlook.live.com on Bing and Firefox. They have the same bugs. When the browser window gets resized, the Rules UI gets stuck. It won't let you go to any other sections in the Rule being worked on- not with arrows, scroll bars, or PgUp/PgDn keys. This is seriously subpar, especially for Microsoft and after this many years.

• imgrumpydave@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules do not work for connected accounts. I have my connected accounts set to deliver email to my main inbox, but the rules just don't seem to work. I have created them according to the instructions listed above but they just don't work period.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, let's see. I have the following rule set to "On":

Name: "BURN! (Address based)"
        Condition:
        Sender address includes: "--[my email]" (a worthless spoofed e-mail of my own address with "--" in front of it), ".xyz", (and a whole host of others, of which are finally are deleted, sending them in as the phishing scams they are has finally paid off, or they have merely stopped sending me anything because I don't seed responses)
        Action: "Delete"
        Stop processing more rules: "Check" (because apparently this and other "Delete" rules can't stay unchecked since the action is "Delete," which makes sense)

OH! And I *also* have "--[my email]" added to my blocked senders list. So, why do I still receive spam from this same spoofed address, as well as addresses that end in ".xyz" in the "Junk Email" folder? If it happens to be the case that the address your servers receive have non-printable characters in them, constituting a malformed address, and I can't successfully select and copy them for these rules or block lists for them to work, that might be something you might want to look into. I also used to be able to view e-mail headers in the previous version of outlook.live.com, but now I can't find that option. Blocking by IP would be ideal, though I imagine spammers use as many hijacked hosts as they can muster, and there's the problem of spoofed IPs.

I was getting about 50 a day, but it seems to have calmed down to about 7, so I suppose until things hopefully change for the better, I'll just keep reporting them.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/601444-new-experiences-in-outlook-com/suggestions/35256430-rules-are-not-working?tracking_code=c54fb0b2dd16a6ed1295df8caf6c7d40

Well, let's see. I have the following rule set to "On":

Name: "BURN! (Address based)"
        Condition:
        Sender address includes: "--[my email]" (a worthless spoofed e-mail of my own address with "--" in front of it), ".xyz", (and a whole host of others, of which are finally are deleted, sending them in as the phishing scams they are has finally paid off, or they have merely stopped sending me anything because I don't seed responses)
        Action: "Delete"
        Stop processing more rules: "Check" (because apparently this and other "Delete" rules can't stay unchecked since the action is "Delete," which makes sense)

OH! And I *also* have "--[my email]" added to my blocked senders list. So, why do I still receive spam from this same spoofed address, as well as addresses that end in ".xyz"? If it happens to be the case that the address your servers receive have non-printable characters in them, constituting a malformed address, and I can't successfully select and copy them for these rules or block lists for them to work, that might be something you might want to look into. I also used to be able to view e-mail headers in the previous version of outlook.live.com, but now I can't find that option. Blocking by IP would be ideal, though I imagine spammers use as many hijacked hosts as they can muster, and there's the problem of spoofed IPs.

I was getting about 50 a day, but it seems to have calmed down to about 7, so I suppose until things hopefully change for the better, I'll just keep reporting them.

• Ann Pettersson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The era when you could fight spam by blocking and reporting is long gone. I can get five identical junk e-mails in one day, but from five different addresses (and different domains as well). You need to find better ways to rid us from this pest! Make it possible to delete spam by using filters (I have tried and tried again to use filters, but they simply do not work on spam). I want to be able to use filters for specific key words or phrases and block those super annoying messages from entering any folder of mine! I can basically do that with any normal e-mail that mentions a specific word - say "cats" - and never see a single message sent from friends and family that mentions cats. But I can't do it to a message that comes out of the Spam Factory - if they mention cats; it will land in my junk folder instead. And that is just stupid.

Now I understand why for years and years Hotmail rules haven't been working, and I despair they ever will: all you do is tell users to do what they've been doing for years, i.e. set up filters correctly. We KNOW how to do that already. Now PLEASE go and actually FIX the filters so that they work!

• m w commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it simpler.Have it so you can block key words in subject line.Needs to be a lot better! Tired of spam and reporting it now.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

New experiences in Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base