OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

GET RID OF FOCUSED MAIL NOW!

Get rid of the focused mail!, just sort by date cause i have to go through extra steps to find mail thats not there cause it didnt meet the criteria of focused, whatever that may be.

332 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chiquita shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using outlook.com, and for providing such great actionable feedback!

I just wanted to let you all know that if you don’t like the Focused Inbox, you are able to easily disable it. When you disable it you will get all of your inbox items in a single view.

To do this, do the following:

1) Click on the Gear in the top right,
2) this opens the Quick Settings Pane, from here look for Focused Inbox. Turn it off.

Hope this helps!

190 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Focused messages is the most authoritarian decision of Microsoft. How would you people know what is important to us? Focused messages just because you decide so?
    The changes you have made over the last year are complex, and designed to satisfy the designers and tech egos supported by the suits who never have to deal with the web of inadequate changes,.
    It was fine before you decided to let one of your geniuses upset a good interface. Now you are trailing Yahoo. If Hotmail continues complicating unnecessarily sending and receiving messages, Yahoo and Gmail will be eager to get us. DROP BETA AND FOCUSED CATEGORY in messages. beta sucks big time.

• Leonard Reilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the slider for inbox/focused could be easier to read if the active button had a border that changed green instead of being a darker grey than the inactive button or if it was changed to have a tabbed style interface.

• L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I missed an important email in one of my outlook inboxes because of your system's logic.

• jc.2005@live.co.uk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still has focused and other. I'd rather see all my messages all in one page. Either this needs to go, or at least an 'all' option beside focused and other. I think an 'all' option beside focused and other would be better, instead of having to go to settings to turn it off. Incase some other people find focused and other useful, but still want an 'all' option.

I don't like having my inbox/messages all on one vertical page.
    It's much better to have your inbox on one page, then when you click on one of your messages, it goes to another page.

Just so you know, this ( http://i68.tinypic.com/2wd3msz.jpg ) was your best inbox layout so far. I miss the sweep option for junk.

can you not opt out of focused inbox, I only want 1 inbox. i keep losing my emails

• Sérgio Reis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really liked the idea of the focused emails (seperated the emails i actually wanted to read really good) and can't seem to find it :(

• Holly T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hate it. Hate the current version too with the focused & other tabs. But this Beta is even worse as I can't scan my 2 inboxes as easily due to chunky look. Please go back about 2-3 versions ago (pre focused/other). Also the Outlook app on my Android doesn't work. Hate that app too. Not sure why "improvements" end up being worse.

• Amanda Godfrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Leave the wider list of Inbox as it was, much harder to see what you have in the new format.
    The Focused/Other split is a waste of time and not visually pleasing IMO - if i want to split them then i'll put them in separate folders myself.
    I have resorted to reading most of my emails in the first instance on my phone as they all come into a single simple Inbox.

The focused/other email thing doesn't nothing for me as it is pretty much all junk (more in the focused than the other!). Either have them as separate inbox tabs at the side of juts have 'all, unread or mentions' tabs at the top as with outlook on office,.

• Jane Moorhead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get rid of the focused and other folders. I don't want you to decide what to focus on, that should be for me only, not you. It's very annoying to have 3 separate columns showing my folders, the email preview and then the email. There's not enough room on the screen for all this and it looks really bad. I'm constantly having to resize everything. Less is better. More is too busy. Keep it simple and let me think for myself. I hate having to undo what you think is "other" and sifting through all those email addresses is annoying. I'd much rather be able to decide for myself as I've not had a lobotomy.

hate it. to junky, too cluttered, too busy. i like a basic email list. in don't even like the "focused" and "other" groups. i am capable of separating my own email

There isn't an option to delete multiple e-mails at once in the new Beta, or if there is, it's not apparent how to do so. I'm also not a fan of the focused and other category in my inbox. I want just one inbox. If e-mails pile up, I want to be able to select all and delete (easier to do at the computer than on the go on my phone.

• no commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beta verion has terrible information density. All I want is my email listed in chronological order. No focused tabs, no fancy visuals. Hotmail has been getting worse with this.

My focused emails were loading perfectly and easy to navigate. With the new version when I went to click "Other" emails, that page was simply loading, however never actually finished loaded. I tried refreshing, trying different systems and computers but no luck.

• Fred Farias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Leave current viewing of emails the way it is. Also eliminate the "Focused & Other" categories as that is "ONE MORE" area to check (slowing folks down).

• Chrys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE MAKE THE FOCUSED GROUP ALL FLAGGED OR PINNED ITEMS, and all others in the other group!!! IT WOULD MAKE LIFE SOOO MUCH EASIER!!!

• CHAD KOTA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like to be able to view all of my mail without having to change locations junk mail is fine but focused and other too many times leaves me guessing where my mail is.

• Erin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like how the new version crams everything onto one screen. It makes the actual emails smaller and harder to read.
    I also prefer to have all my emails in one folder. Having to switch between focused and normal is irritating.

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base