OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

GET RID OF FOCUSED MAIL NOW!

Get rid of the focused mail!, just sort by date cause i have to go through extra steps to find mail thats not there cause it didnt meet the criteria of focused, whatever that may be.

332 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chiquita shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using outlook.com, and for providing such great actionable feedback!

I just wanted to let you all know that if you don’t like the Focused Inbox, you are able to easily disable it. When you disable it you will get all of your inbox items in a single view.

To do this, do the following:

1) Click on the Gear in the top right,
2) this opens the Quick Settings Pane, from here look for Focused Inbox. Turn it off.

Hope this helps!

191 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current Outlook.com is great. I didn't like the focused and other at first, but now everything is so manageable.

I don't need the website to look like my android mail or texting.

Allow for more user control of pane adjustment. You have it set so I am forced to watch ads no matter what and now I have to scroll back and forth to read the mail. If I could shrink the "From" section I could avoid scrolling. That one feature alone will cause me to use other mail providers. I use email for a quick glance and I do not want to fight to read the mail. Yes your advertisers are important as that is how you are paid but we are the ones reading so let us choose how wide we want sections.

• brandon.caldwell@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I HATE HATE HATE the Focused inbox - it keeps turning on; I have to turn it off several times a day. Please remove this feature, it doesn't work, nor does it even make sense.

Every since hotmail was turned into outlook the site has been terribly slow. Stop adding features and address performance. Yes, that does mean making the back end team bigger and focusing on performance instead of underutilized integrations like Skype.

• G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beta nothing new, drop the "focused/unfocused" distinction, it does not make sense and it is not smart enough to t put messages consistently in same place, it doesn't make sense and is annoying.

• Peter C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In a binary control - Focused/Other - PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THE VISUAL DIFFERENCE IS UN-AMBIGUOUS.
    The old way of making heavy grey versus pale grey WAS MUCH BETTER

Why are there ads mixed in with my email? Also, I can't move my mail from Other to Focused or vice versa.

• Vern Dant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the Focused/Other feature ...because I can view "Must See", then "Might see" ...and the also have Junk for "Never See"

• Shimal_1987@live.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Highlight the tab or bold the tab which receive a mail from "Focused" and "Other" in a way we can know where the mail received. Sometimes I get confused thinking the mail hasn't received yet...

In the beta version I received an email and it disappeared from my inbox folder. I turned the beta off and it appeared in my inbox. Turned the beta back on and it disappeared. Then, I went into settings and changed the Focused Inbox to On and the email appeared in the focused group. Turned Focused Inbox off and it disappeared again.

• jimwatson@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two poor UX decisions...

A) Focused vs Other toggle is bad UX...how do I know which is turned "on"??
    B) Having someone click the "Outlook beta" link from the top isn't clear that it would turn off the beta.

• No Thankyou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Focused" feature is un intuitive and seems random. I just want to see my emails in chronological order. Please do not attempt to prioritize my emails for me.
    Do allow better CATEGORIZATION functionality i.e. allow me easily to order my emails by sender or by date sent and when I do select order by sender, keep me on the email that I was on when I re-categorized so that I don't have to go looking for the sender again.

• madadd33@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

not sure if this is how it's supposed to work, but with the focused inbox, deleting messages just seems to put them in the Other inbox as unread messages...seems odd that this would be a feature.

• Andrea Telenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, The focused feature is TERRIBLE. It gives me phishing mails as focused, and most of my order/shipment confirmations come as "other".

• ask422a@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Frequently my e-mail under Focused will not open. Message states :Your message cannot be displayed, check internet connection or try later. My internet is working fine and other e-mail providers are opening fine. I often have to click some other message in Other and go back to Focused to open messages there. It is most irritating and time wasting.

• ElliotBowen@hotmail.co.uk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a focused inbox seems a good idea but in reality I never know which inbox emails are going to be sent to and I always find it hard to find old emails. This should perhaps be an 'opt in' focused inbox, where you can specify what goes there.

Further, having ads in your inbox is awful. Enough to make me stop using outlook. Yes I understand the importance of having ads, but not placed in your inbox, looking like an unopened email.

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base