OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

New experiences in Outlook.com

Please let us choose between Beta and Classic

If you continue to be as enthusiastic about Beta as you appear to be, and refuse to scrap it (something that many people would be extremely happy about) please let us CHOOSE between Beta and Classic Outlook. You don't seem to realize/understand that, what to you are improvements, are to many people quite the opposite. The Beta is so confusing and busy and, to me, very stressful and highly unpleasant. I find the changes not only unnecessary, but extremely negative. Don't you guys have anything better to do than to come up with such annoyances? I just read on my screen that I can restore Classic Outlook by means of the Outlook Toggle at the top right of my screen, but there IS no Outlook toggle!

3,851 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

marshagor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off the following: Conversation View, Reading Pane (set to Hide), Sender Image (these are the colored initial circles), Group by Date (these are the date headers in the message list), and finally Attachment Preview.

Once these are off, the view should look VERY similar to the old experience.

Again please keep the feedback coming, the entire team is reviewing every submission and we are working on bringing additional improvements.

Some of these include, Density settings (this will help those that want a more compact view), updated spam/junk settings, Chat improvements, and much much more.

Thanks again for using Outlook.com!

David Los

4966 comments

Comments are closed
    • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How on Earth do you keep making this worse? I've been using Hotmail since before MS owned it, and every time they "upgrade" it, it's somehow even worse. Every single time. I'm not against change, but as with your OS and Office, change for the sake of change is not always better. Even with all of the suggestions, it's still ugly. Clearly people are unhappy. Give us a condensed view or something. Let Dark Mode be actually dark instead of with that weird blue you can't change. Stop making it so busy looking. And fire whoever designed this and thinks it looks good.

How on Earth do you keep making this worse? I've been using Hotmail since before MS owned it, and every time they "upgrade" it, it's somehow even worse. Every single time. I'm not against change, but as with your OS and Office, change for the sake of change is not always better. Even with all of the suggestions, it's still ugly. Clearly people are unhappy. Give us a condensed view or something. Let Dark Mode be actually dark instead of with that weird blue you can't change. Stop making it so busy looking. And fire whoever designed this and thinks it looks good.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it so we can switch back. This new version is terrible. There was no need to change.

Please... lords of the internet... STOP CHANGING STUFF JUST FOR NO GOOD REASON!!!

• n.t.kelly@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 I also hate the new Beta appearance. It totally kills what Outlook was great for before- clarity. It used to be easy to glance at my inbox and grab info quickly. Though the colors & fonts didn't change much in Beta, they changed enough that they are no longer clear to read- action buttons blend in to the background, fewer emails show up in the Beta view since their height increased (I used to be able to see 30 emails, now only 19), the little icons next to folders are unnecessary clutter, etc. I shut off the sender image, group by date, and msg preview to get as close as possible to the old view, but still the screen is so busy and monochrome that everything blends to obscurity. Even moving the search bar to the top has shifted all the action controls to the left, so now I'm clicking the wrong action because my reflexes are trained to the buttons being where they used to be. All in all, the Beta view cuts down readability, usability, and productivity. I'm sure the feature enhancements will be great, but please give us the option to integrate them into the old view and layout.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I am leaving hotmail as a disabled person with visual difficulties i amongst others are upset about being overlooked and so we are putting word out and will no longer use the service. I have been with hotmail forever and so is shame to leave but i can no longer look at my screen and so i am gone. There will be hundreds of us making a stand. As someone else has said, not all progress is good and many people with visual difficulties have been excluded from hotmail now. After years of loyalty the company forgets to ask people what they want. Good bye hotmail! Thanks for forgetting about equal opportunities hey.

• katy taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David,
      I already made all the changes and I still don't like it. Too busy and confusing. At least provide changes that cant make it look similar to before - those suggestions were ****. Please fix it or I will be forced to find a more user friendly system. Why not keep the Beta switch.

• Noor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok guys we all know that every single person on this bloody earth hates the new version of Outlook.

Please follow the link below to switch back to old outlook.
      You will be able to use outlook as it was before the new version.

However every time you refresh the system it automatically goes to the new version of outlook and calendar can only be access through the new version of outlook.

BUT the good news is inbox, sent folder etc is all like it used to be.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-oapps/revertremovedisableturn-off-beta-outlook-email/569d3f35-294c-4c49-a2f5-37be5e413800

I hope that help you all .. X

To Peecee: Of course, there is not a David Los. You think Microsoft provide us with a real name/person?! This is the modern way of "Go and F**k yourself". We have the power and you cannot do anything about it". This is a politically correct slavery, that makes people dependent on emails for communication and then, make changes that no one wanted because they can. We cannot do anything, and they are having fun with mocking us. My life has got affected drastically as I need to print off a few emails and I cannot.

BUT, to prove how accommodating and fantastic Microsoft is, there has been a "David Los" who has politely responded to the changes that you can supposedly make to make the new version work (which of course, it does not help at all).

All the history of mankind, is full of his need for power.

• Peecee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new "improved" Outlook ignores all my previously-set-up inbox rules. Emails from a friend, who has been a contact since I got the internet!, now end up in the spam box, however many times I set up a "new" rule to redirect them to the correct folder. Why on earth is this happening? I'm really going to get stuck into mastering my new GMX email address now. Btw - as a matter of interest. is there really a David Los, or is this a made-up name Microsoft have come up with so we think we're talking to a real person?

• jimlodwick@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Peecee, I'm still working on the Mail Collector feature at GMX and of course, the Outlook documentation is not going well from MS' end of the stick.
      After twenty years of using outlook with hundreds of contacts both personally and professionally, it's a really tiresome, tedious, chore to get everything working correctly again.
      My main hope now is that gmx will block all the junk/spam mail that outlook can't/won't block.
      Good luck with your transition.

There are certainly some very sick people in charge of Outlook.

As soon as I log into my Outlook, a dialogue box opens stating, "Contact Support" and does not F****ing close!

How can I even read my emails when you keep F****ing with our accounts? What is wrong with you people at Microsoft?

Are you not done enjoying yourselves playing with people's lives? I have tons of documents in my mailbox that I need to print and I cannot even get into my account because of the F****ing dialogue box. I have already opened an account with Gmail but I need to have access to my Outlook to print those old mails.

At least have the decency of letting people know that you are planning to F**k up Outlook, ahead of time, a couple of weeks of notice. If I knew it, I would have had a chance to print those emails before your sick game.

SHAME ON YOU.

• Peecee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to thank jimlodwick for the gmx.com suggestion. I set up a new email address yesterday, and it looks a lot more fun than the new Outlook! Time will tell, but gmx definitely can't be any worse - thanks! :-)

• willrace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AWESOME!!! Got the newest flash screen happily reminding me how I can't get back to the non-kiddie version, and that i should just fook myself because MS knows what I want more than I do.

Seriously - Suggestions for good, functional alternatives?

Los, to reflect ANY honesty at this point, your next-to-last paragraph should read "....Again please keep the feedback coming, the entire team enjoys reviewing every submission, knowing that you can't do sh1t about it....."

Seriously., everybody, we REALLY need suggestions for good, functional alternatives.

Way to go Microsoft, you made your subpar Outlook even worst. Can't even send emails now.

So...Mr Los & ms...how do I "Reply" to an old email that I have already responded to?
      There are no icons to 'Forward', 'Reply', 'Reply to all' ??

← Previous 1 3 4 5 248 249

New experiences in Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base