OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Display Modes for Density or Compact

isn't it possible to have more compact view? menus are taking lots of space in screen and way too annoying.

5,842 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

fprstn@outlook.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I again thank each and everyone of you for using Outlook.com and for providing all of your feedback. I wanted to let you know that as of today we have enabled Density settings. There are three modes which control how tight and how much information is shown on the screen.

To change the density settings click on the gear in the top right (settings). In the pane that opened you should see three setting Full, Medium and Compact.

Hope this helps address some of the concerns around white space :)

Thanks again,

David Los

1482 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new layout is absolutely ghastly. Very user UNFRIENDLY. Please revert back to previous format that was sleek, compact and pleasing to the eye.

• carolarsaunders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

want return to numbered pages at bottom of screen so can easily scroll to past pages of e mails
    Adverts totally un useful are occupying this space and i am not interested in any of them
    Insufficient number of e mails on one page cannot get overview
    what use are the coloured dots .
    I FIND THE NEW PRESENTATION A RETROGRADE STEP AND NOW most times I USE E MAIL HAVE HAVE REVERTED TO CHOOSE TO USE THE BING FORMAT which maintains THE ORIGINAL a sensible layout

• LunaMoth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand you are working on it, and that's great, thank you. HowEVER, why the steadfast refusal to allow users to switch between classic and beta until you have finished the work to make this inferior version more usable? Between the waste of space and the ridiculous infinite scrolling, you have introduced a lot of inefficiency and frustration.

• chrisgrengs@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello. I found in Settings the option to turn of pictures / images for the sender. Thank you for including some options to let me customize my email. I turned off images because I think all the colors are distracting.

I'm not sure if I like the new changes overall. Frankly, I wish you would just pick a design and stick with it. It's annoying to have to re-learn a new layout. again and again But if you insist on making (questionable) changes, at least give us the options to customize our setting -- like with displaying or not displaying images.

However, there still seems to be too much space above an below the messages. This results in fewer messages shown on the screen. I'm not sure how to fix this, though.

• ho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the worst layout ever. THIS is worse than windows 8.

• Juan Carlos Arevalo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new Outlook version that popped up automatically is really not unser friendly. I can not have a big overview of all my emails and I need to scroll down constantly. It was not thought on users who have more than 5 emails flagged and or Pinned.
    I wish you change it or improve it soon.

• Warre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

reading pane on the right is auto-resized instead of a scrollbar. with a big part on the right taken by advertising, the reading pane becomes too small to fit content; often characters are resized too small and become unreadable.

Screen resize not an option as it apparently doesn't resize the reading pane.
    Moving reading pane below instead of right hardly an option on a small laptop screen 16:7.

In old layout we had the horizontal scrollbar in the reading pane.

big negative point and annoying experience

• mcswell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to repeat (agree with) what nearly everyone else is saying here. There's a colossal waste of space in the new layout, which makes finding emails, responses etc. much slower. I immediately reduced the font size, which may have helped a bit, but there's still a huge amount of useless whitespace everywhere. Plus any font that isn't bold appears to be gray rather than black, which is ******* these eyes. Whitespace has its place... but not around every single message.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Been trying to live with the new Mail set-up - it's a mess. Each inbox item takes up twice (3X?) as much space as it used to, it's just a bunch of wasted space and I can only see half (1/3?) the number of emails listed at one time. I can't find any way to adjust this, so I guess we're just stuck with this ungainly mess? I've been with 'hotmail' since I've had a computer, but it's looking like time to move on to something more user-friendly and less fancy. If anyone on your end is actually reading these comments, can you please add (or direct me to) a means of making the mail list more compact?

• Joe Persek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this a priority. I used to be able to see 18 emails on a screen. Now it's 12. It's unworkable the way it is.

• Joe Persek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo Mail allows users to adjust "Message List Density" to "Slim," "Regular" or "Relaxed." I'm hoping this is an easy adjustment for you. It really is unworkable as it is. Please make this a priority.

• Andrea Mattei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make the text smaller (like in the old version) so we can see more folders and emails in the columns. Or let us control the text size.

• ann000_0@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enable more compact layout. Layout does not seem to offer this option, default layout uses very large font taking up too much space.

The new design has too much space between lines. Now we can see less messages at once than before. It is no functional. Less productive.
    It makes the labor slower.

Update is ok except for width of each email in inbox, is there possibility of customizing to have different sizes? I would prefer compact version.

• Sulev Svilponis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How to disable the new outlook and restore the old look? The new outlook is ugly, bloating, unresponsive, hard to read, wasting screen space with enormous spaces between lines, but text is very small, and all in BOLD! Don't you know, that it is hard to read such text, which is all in bold letters? Where is the good old e-mail reader I liked many years?

• color.world commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the new outlook wont even let me send attachments! i would like to go back to my old hotmail acct!

• Michael Panayotides commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beyond the line spacing, Why don't you make it work EXACTLY like MS-Word? As it is, the "Undo" works erratically, at best, text cannot be transferred, ot it goes where IT wants to, etc. Also, ability to place simple graphic, as in Word, will be helpful. At least allow "pasting" copied text with graphic(s) (e.g. an arrow)s that has been copied from Word.

• rabany roland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

bonjour merci de votre réponse mais dommage rien en Français donc je ne peux pas faire de modifications une réponse en français s'il vous plait.

• megaoke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just put the ******** thing back like it was before and stop faffing about with it.

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base