OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Display Modes for Density or Compact

isn't it possible to have more compact view? menus are taking lots of space in screen and way too annoying.

5,842 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

fprstn@outlook.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I again thank each and everyone of you for using Outlook.com and for providing all of your feedback. I wanted to let you know that as of today we have enabled Density settings. There are three modes which control how tight and how much information is shown on the screen.

To change the density settings click on the gear in the top right (settings). In the pane that opened you should see three setting Full, Medium and Compact.

Hope this helps address some of the concerns around white space :)

Thanks again,

David Los

1482 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just switched from Windows Live Mail to Outlook. I find the need to scroll to see all mail in the inbox very annoying. Seems like there is much wasted space. Look forward to info on how to condense.

Can't collapse any of the side bars and it makes it super frustrating to try to read emails. It's ridiculous. This is why I use outlook as my "junk" email. Can't use it for anything actually worthwhile.

• bev.allen5 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why use or comment on Outlook if you don't like or use it for email? You clearly don't want to use it for mail, so stick to Gmail and comment on that. But if you are going to say make it better, say what would make it better for you and ideally the rest of us

"Many people I know automatically send any email they receive from a Hotmail or Live domain straight to their Spam folder. The only people who send mail from these domains are bots" - a ridiculous thing to do, and so not true that all Hotmail or Live users are bots! Who are all of these other comments from if that were true...?

• alexhuber@invina.net commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too much space between folders and lines. I have a new fancy huge screen but cannot see what I used to see on the much smaller old screen. HELP.

• JohnF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a totally useless display of white space without any option to select a more compact view in the web Outlook. Hopeless design.

Options required please.

• András Csirmaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to have a compact mode where everything takes up just the amount of space it really requires and drops all sorts of extra padding. Sometimes screen-space is precious and one just prefers horizontal layout (reading pane at the bottom).

• megaoke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The spaces are too big in between each message. How do i make them smaller?

• kpchinn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even after turning off sender pictures, previews etc., and reducing the font size to make the page more compact, the new layout, spacing and icons make this much harder to read at a glance than the old version. I hate it. Looks like it's finally time to move on to gmail.

• Julian Firkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this a priority. Way too much space between lines in the Inbox. I now see about a third of the emails I used to see.

• RM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's been yet another pointless update overnight and now there's too much space between lines so I can only see half the messages in my inbox and when I open a message I have two sets of Reply, Reply All, Forward buttons. One set at the top in the ribbon where it's supposed to be and another set on the right of the message pane. Yet the message header reads off the screen if its too long and I have to search for who else the message went to which is more important than another set of stupid buttons. When I start a new message I get these three really wide text boxes for sender, subject details etc. What exactly is the point of all this? It doesn't help the vision impaired at all as its flat and all blended together. Frustrated beyond belief now. It's just annoying and distracting.

I'm sure you probably don't care since I don't pay for premium service, but I've noticed that my old secondary email at Gmail.com has a relatively straight-forward, and easily navigable format that doesn't change radically with no notice, so I invite everyone to give someone else a try just to see what it is like at a service where that matters.

• danishlizard@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

im dyslexic i used to use this everyday but i now cannot cope with how difficult it is to use. i was not on outlook but was forced to use it and am now excluded from checking all emails and has gotten out of hand. can you roll it back to older version i was using two years ago. if not i may aswel delete my email address as i am missing important emails and it may be safer for me to start a new email address with another provider that doesnt slow my computer down and over comlicate my inbox. i only have 6 messages ata timer in my inbox. i had a long list before so could scan for important messages.

• a_davi@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I adjust line spacing in Outlook email? I do not see the format text icon. Driving me insane!

This layout is infuriating. The inability to adjust Inbox row height (v. font) is unacceptable. There is a entirely too much wasted space and reviewing multiple e-mails has become untenable. So much for Outlook; I have (hopefully temporarily) resorted to aggregating all of my mail in an alternate email solution until this gets fixed. If it takes too long, I will migrate away from office. Don't thank me for my patience, get the work done.

• mcswell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Metaphor: the new version is a first grade version. Remember the paper we got back in first grade, with big ruled lines, wide spaces between lines, and huge pencils that you practically had to lean on your shoulder? The old version was much more elegant.

• mcswell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No "work" is required, just allow us to revert to the previous (and better) version.

BTW, this problem is even worse in the web version, which is nearly impossible to read because there's way too much white space between folder names, individual emails in a list of emails, paragraphs within emails, etc.; and the use of a larger font for the sender also wastes huge amounts of space relative to the previous version. All of which could be solved by allowing us to simply revert.

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base