OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Display Modes for Density or Compact

isn't it possible to have more compact view? menus are taking lots of space in screen and way too annoying.

5,842 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

fprstn@outlook.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I again thank each and everyone of you for using Outlook.com and for providing all of your feedback. I wanted to let you know that as of today we have enabled Density settings. There are three modes which control how tight and how much information is shown on the screen.

To change the density settings click on the gear in the top right (settings). In the pane that opened you should see three setting Full, Medium and Compact.

Hope this helps address some of the concerns around white space :)

Thanks again,

David Los

1482 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Damien O'Brien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for your help with 365.

A recent android update for mobile word has hugely increased the spacing between list items in the menu, particularly files.

Is there a way of making the file list compact, please, or could you point me in the right direction, please?

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This mode is now working in Canada but I'm very disappointed. I selected Compact and it only reduces about 25% from what I had before. Comparing to compact mode in my gmail account which is about twice as compact giving a much better experience.

• András Csirmaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Message Density is like a dream come true! Thank you for implementing it! Now I can use bottom-reading view while still seeing a lot of mails on top. Thanks!

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...Well, it's better, but I'm still using my custom CSS which takes off an additional 33% of vertical white space, (for 22 pixels per line). It might be worth noting that I've also been using a 4K monitor with no DPI scaling since August of last year. Now I can have more sub-folders open and be able to see them all without scrolling.

• Richard Corcoran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allowing the adjusting of the Density is a vast improvement - thank you (I still think you should make it MORE compact though).

• Corrine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you so very much! I have been
    "Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'
    Plannin' and dreamin' each night" for this change.

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about not changing this at all, even "Tighter spacing" is bloody awful.

• Brenda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over 5700 votes. Over 5400 comments, all saying "Please fix this." So please fix this. It's been going on too long. With all the complicated things you do, this should be the easiest.

• solvs@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Working on it".

In other words, "we know you hate it and we don't care, but we're going to pretend to until you get used to it or leave". Because your users have been complaining about this since you first tried to change it, but it isn't getting any better.

• Joe Persek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Working on it" for six months now. This is a serious issue with usability of this product. Please make this a priority.

• Joe Persek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree completely with the recent comments on this. It is a major bug and needs immediate attention. It has been several months with no change despite the "working on it" tag. Please fix it already. Please.

• Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this really is a massive bug for me classic had tight line spaces that displayed lots more emails those stupid coloured blobs that serve no purpose apart from annoying people can be removed but the space they occupied remains that causes the big gaps between messages. its now march this problem has been there since we were forced to adopt this poor upgrade.

• Jm wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've run out of patience. Just fix this spacing problem. It is even more ridiculous in the Compose page. Absolutely unacceptable.

• Jm wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

l AM NOT PATIENT ANYMORE. You have had months and months to fix this. It is a fatal flaw as far as I am concerned. Even worse is the triple spaced Compose page. JUST FIX IT.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just switched from Windows Live Mail. Miss the emoji option. Any chance of getting one on the ribbon? :(

← Previous 1 3 4 5 74 75

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base