OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

New experiences in Outlook.com

Display Modes for Density or Compact

isn't it possible to have more compact view? menus are taking lots of space in screen and way too annoying.

4,913 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

fprstn@outlook.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I want to thank everyone for providing feedback about spacing/whitespace/density controls. This is indeed something that we are evaluating and designing. At this time I don’t have an exact time frame for when this will be available, but we will keep this item updated as we progress with this work.

Thanks again for the feedback, and for using Outlook.com. Keep the great feedback coming.

David Los

1283 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe Persek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Working on it" for six months now. This is a serious issue with usability of this product. Please make this a priority.

• JohnF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a totally useless display of white space without any option to select a more compact view in the web Outlook. Hopeless design.

Options required please.

• mcswell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Metaphor: the new version is a first grade version. Remember the paper we got back in first grade, with big ruled lines, wide spaces between lines, and huge pencils that you practically had to lean on your shoulder? The old version was much more elegant.

No "work" is required, just allow us to revert to the previous (and better) version.

BTW, this problem is even worse in the web version, which is nearly impossible to read because there's way too much white space between folder names, individual emails in a list of emails, paragraphs within emails, etc.; and the use of a larger font for the sender also wastes huge amounts of space relative to the previous version. All of which could be solved by allowing us to simply revert.

• LunaMoth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand you are working on it, and that's great, thank you. HowEVER, why the steadfast refusal to allow users to switch between classic and beta until you have finished the work to make this inferior version more usable? Between the waste of space and the ridiculous infinite scrolling, you have introduced a lot of inefficiency and frustration.

Just to repeat (agree with) what nearly everyone else is saying here. There's a colossal waste of space in the new layout, which makes finding emails, responses etc. much slower. I immediately reduced the font size, which may have helped a bit, but there's still a huge amount of useless whitespace everywhere. Plus any font that isn't bold appears to be gray rather than black, which is ******* these eyes. Whitespace has its place... but not around every single message.

• Joe Persek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo Mail allows users to adjust "Message List Density" to "Slim," "Regular" or "Relaxed." I'm hoping this is an easy adjustment for you. It really is unworkable as it is. Please make this a priority.

• ann000_0@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enable more compact layout. Layout does not seem to offer this option, default layout uses very large font taking up too much space.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update is ok except for width of each email in inbox, is there possibility of customizing to have different sizes? I would prefer compact version.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are some downgrades associated with the new version (and some upgrades too -- thanks!).
        Could you 1) have a more compact version where I can view more of my e-mails (summary level) at one time versus less? and 2) can you either revert to the old most recent "move to" list or, if not, just include the complete list of folders in the first drop down? The new version creates more steps/clicks then the old one in both of these cases and I prefer the older, more productive version options. thanks

• stefbaxter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like the new layout. It's stressing me out. How can i get it back to the way it was..

• Rebecca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David Los: Since the original posters request for more density, MS outlook has added even more white space, wider subject line as and a chunkier layout. Are you still working on it?!

I can't forward anything, I can't retrieve certain drafts. And, can't find out how to do it. Making an attachment doesn't work either. Please fix this.

• Beth Stophel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is awful. Emails delete without me deleting them, then I have to go to the delete folder to get them back. Other windows open when looking at emails, its just awful

• martin-pereyra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like it at all. And it's very hard to tell the read from the undread e-mails when marking them to erase the read e-mails because the unread e-mails have the same tone of blue than the rest of the window. That's awful and it may make you erase some important e-mail that, although is already read, may be important for you. In general I'm in favour of changes and upgrades, but this is something I don't like at all and I think it's making things worse

why cant i delete messages in small groups ,now i have to delete one at a time or everything ,what a load of shite ,just put it back how it was

← Previous 1 3 4 5 64 65

New experiences in Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base