OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Focused and Other - Get Rid Of!

I want one inbox - I didn't ask for two. The other and focused options are so screwed up and annoying; I cannot even imagine why this was done. Most of the time I am getting focused emails in my other and other emails in my focused. How do your algorithms even sort or decide which is which? And why are you deciding? It is my inbox!

1,849 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angelina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off – I want to thank each and every one of your for trying the Outlook.com beta. Also for spending the time to offer and vote on all of the feedback.

I wanted to make sure that we let you all know that we did add some more controls around the Focused/Other inboxes. This includes allowing you to decide if you want it on or off.

We also fixed some bugs to make sure that it keeps your desired setting after you login/log out

To Control Focused Other Do the following:

1) Login to your account and make sure you are in the Beta
2) In the top right hand corner there is a little Gear Icon, click on it.
3) This opens the quick settings pane. From here you can disable Focused/Other, as well as other features like Conversation View, and the reading Pane.

Also, as you click on the settings in the Quick Settings you should see your screen update. This should help you ensure you are configuring your setup exactly the way you like.

Hope this helps, and thanks for all of the feedback!

David Los

315 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree totally - but there's an option in Settings to turn off the 'Focussed' inbox, and it was one of the first things that I did.

I totally agree!!! My computer screen is not that small but the letters of email were so little I can not read easily because of add on right side and menu on the left side and another list of email. I should I do a lot of effort to concentrate to read the email? If you want to do like Outlook do it really like Outlook.

• Tony Rushin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although not confusing, it just adds to complicating things. Way too many ads that keep reappearing that you don't seem to be able to block or unsubscribe from. 'Focused' inbox and 'Other'? Neither seem to be able to decide what content should be in each, so pretty pointless.

• Alison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, being an oap who still like to be in touch with life with no complications. It is my inbox as well x

• SB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get rid of the 'Focus' and 'Other' features as it is not at all helpful. I prefer being the judge of my own emails and deciding which ones are important to me and which are going straight into the trash.

• MJN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can you possibly tell what is important/relevant to ME?

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I HATE the new format. You have made it unnecessarily complicated.

Agree completely -- if it weren't for the fact that I've used Outlook for my personal email for so long, I'd consider moving to another email service. Very confusing feature/

I HATE the New changes to my outlook...Its confusing & Opening my emails are difficult and miserable!!! TOTALLY FRUSTRATING!!!!

• Raewyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I also don't like this new way my emails are coming through, I want it back to how it was

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base