OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Focused and Other - Get Rid Of!

I want one inbox - I didn't ask for two. The other and focused options are so screwed up and annoying; I cannot even imagine why this was done. Most of the time I am getting focused emails in my other and other emails in my focused. How do your algorithms even sort or decide which is which? And why are you deciding? It is my inbox!

1,849 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angelina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off – I want to thank each and every one of your for trying the Outlook.com beta. Also for spending the time to offer and vote on all of the feedback.

I wanted to make sure that we let you all know that we did add some more controls around the Focused/Other inboxes. This includes allowing you to decide if you want it on or off.

We also fixed some bugs to make sure that it keeps your desired setting after you login/log out

To Control Focused Other Do the following:

1) Login to your account and make sure you are in the Beta
2) In the top right hand corner there is a little Gear Icon, click on it.
3) This opens the quick settings pane. From here you can disable Focused/Other, as well as other features like Conversation View, and the reading Pane.

Also, as you click on the settings in the Quick Settings you should see your screen update. This should help you ensure you are configuring your setup exactly the way you like.

Hope this helps, and thanks for all of the feedback!

David Los

315 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Leo Chuahy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the Focused and Other invoice. Since I use the outlook for work, all the unnecessary emails go automatically to other and it literally keeps me focused on what matters. At the end of the day, I just glance through the "other" inbox to make sure I haven't missed anything.

• merry_fox@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook- Why do you want to make it so difficult for outlook users ???
    Please leave it alone, people want things that have a harmonious
    outcome. MLM

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its sad they ask for the users input, yet ignore what were saying. If I were a computer geek I'd look for some other place to get my emails. As it is I know nothing about this **** so I'm stuck with what ever they stuff up my ###. Only reson they do this is to justify there jobs!

Its sad they ask for the users input, yet ignore what were saying. If I were a computer geek I'd look for some other place to get my emails. As it is I know nothing about this **** so I'm stuck with what ever they stuff up my ###. Only reason they do this is to justify there jobs!

• cs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please one inbox and please get also rid of that following nasty feature that comes with it:
    When trying to switch to another folder (e.g. form inbox to drafts) those hidden favourite stars suddenly show up when coming to close to one of those invisible objects. Thinking I click on drafts area und suddenly I have made drafts a favourite. Not a good idea, very annoying. I want my Hotmail account back.

I agree 100% give me back my Hotmail account, I am 70 I don't need a MOB all the other **** you have for sale so let me have my inbox the way I want it which is with 1 Inbox dianne

I agree, get rid of Focused and Other. It makes more work and is annoying to go through my emails

I hate the focused and other tabs! Is there any plan to get rid of those? If not, I will switch!

• Lynne Seabury commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is there a way to go back to the "current" version? I signed in and just "got" this new terrible system!

• Kathy Stahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so I guess that there will not be an opt out for this new"stuff"! I mistakenly got on the beta awhile back. I couldn't find anything and you can' read a whole email at once. I am trying to decide to leave right now, or go to...!?

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dumb idea to have two inboxes. It is not your decision to tell me what I need to be focused on.

I totally agree. This upgrade should be a downgrade and totally ridiculous... If you don't change I will cancel my hotmail accounts..

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base