OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Focused and Other - Get Rid Of!

I want one inbox - I didn't ask for two. The other and focused options are so screwed up and annoying; I cannot even imagine why this was done. Most of the time I am getting focused emails in my other and other emails in my focused. How do your algorithms even sort or decide which is which? And why are you deciding? It is my inbox!

1,849 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angelina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off – I want to thank each and every one of your for trying the Outlook.com beta. Also for spending the time to offer and vote on all of the feedback.

I wanted to make sure that we let you all know that we did add some more controls around the Focused/Other inboxes. This includes allowing you to decide if you want it on or off.

We also fixed some bugs to make sure that it keeps your desired setting after you login/log out

To Control Focused Other Do the following:

1) Login to your account and make sure you are in the Beta
2) In the top right hand corner there is a little Gear Icon, click on it.
3) This opens the quick settings pane. From here you can disable Focused/Other, as well as other features like Conversation View, and the reading Pane.

Also, as you click on the settings in the Quick Settings you should see your screen update. This should help you ensure you are configuring your setup exactly the way you like.

Hope this helps, and thanks for all of the feedback!

David Los

315 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Karen Good commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like the split inbox. There's little rhyme or reason to which message goes into focused or other. I also VERY MUCH DISLIKE having an ad positioned at the top of my message list. If you decide to keep the ads there, at least allow me the option to close the dammit thing without opening it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree-
    Old format/one inbox is better. New format is too cluttered- really makes checking email a painful and time-consuming endeavor.
    I want nice clean lines with the minimum necessary to quickly glance through my Inbox and get on with my day. The current(old) sort features work fine. My main complaint with the old format(as in lasr update before this beta) is the folder scroll bar is invisible until you put the cursor over it- hate wastying the time looking for it. I want to quickly go about my business, not play games hunting for where to click.

• pg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is having to check 2 lists- ***** that- I can ignore a spam email or mark it as junk thank you- gmail did this and I see that is what MS is copying. But 'Focused' on what? LOL

I want my Hotmail back. When people with bad business judgment tried to club consumers into drinking "New Coke," wiser heads prevailed and quickly reinstated the product that their customers loved.

I understand that my beloved Hotmail didn't give you the opportunity to gather data on users the way that Outlook does. The heavy, aggressive way Outlook, a product I neither need nor want, was forced on users has made me determined to avoid as many of your company's products as possible. You have demonstrated total disrespect for a large swath of your customers.

Ouch! the ego of the "geniuses" that had the tarred, egotistical idea to create and implement such a dismal way to "organize" emails should be forced to use that set up in all the human activities they take part. Going to the toilet? Focused or other. Shoes to wear to the gym? Focused or others? Snail mail: two mailboxes to confuse the mailman, etc. Everybody got the point but the brainiacs at Microsoft.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base