OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Focused and Other - Get Rid Of!

I want one inbox - I didn't ask for two. The other and focused options are so screwed up and annoying; I cannot even imagine why this was done. Most of the time I am getting focused emails in my other and other emails in my focused. How do your algorithms even sort or decide which is which? And why are you deciding? It is my inbox!

1,849 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angelina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off – I want to thank each and every one of your for trying the Outlook.com beta. Also for spending the time to offer and vote on all of the feedback.

I wanted to make sure that we let you all know that we did add some more controls around the Focused/Other inboxes. This includes allowing you to decide if you want it on or off.

We also fixed some bugs to make sure that it keeps your desired setting after you login/log out

To Control Focused Other Do the following:

1) Login to your account and make sure you are in the Beta
2) In the top right hand corner there is a little Gear Icon, click on it.
3) This opens the quick settings pane. From here you can disable Focused/Other, as well as other features like Conversation View, and the reading Pane.

Also, as you click on the settings in the Quick Settings you should see your screen update. This should help you ensure you are configuring your setup exactly the way you like.

Hope this helps, and thanks for all of the feedback!

David Los

315 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Micronazis seem unaware that their Beta makes reading email and traversing the system so much more complicated.

By the sound of it they are now forcing their new and useless system on users. I have alternative email services and only kept Hotmail/Outlook because it was convenient. Not anymore.

• Tony Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IF IT AINT BROKEN LEAVE IT ALONE.
    THESE CRAZY CHANGES ARE DRIVING ME UP THE WALL. I AINT GOT TIME TO TRY AND WORK OUT WHAT T F YOU HAVE DONE.
    HOW DO I GET THESE CHANGES OFF AND GO BACK TO THE OLD WAY, WHICH WORKED FINE.

• ray owens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Focused and Other concept is very unnecessary, it make trying to just simply read your emails a complicated back and forth nightmare,,,please return it back to the original format.

• milfrench commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate what you did with the changes. It's difficult to find what you need, and trying to read messages is like looking for a needle in a haystack. The print is so small that a magnifying glass is needed to see it. Bring back my easy to manage outlook. Like the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

2 inboxes....why???? and who decides whats focused and whats other??? WASTE OF TIME!

• Noyb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook.com - if your aim was to annoy your customers with bad design and wastage. Well done.
    Your new Beta is just impossible to work with and is counterintuitive. How about investing in proper UX design and start over or leave the existing outlook experience be? I will change my outlook email if this goes live.

• Larry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The mail that should be directed to the "Other" "In Box" should simply be directed to "Junk". Useless effort.

Thank goodness!
    We can turn off the annoying Focused & Other split inbox. Go to the little gear and click options. Go to DISPLAY SETTINGS, then FOCUSED INBOX, then select DON'T SORT MESSAGES. Then OK.
    Yay!!

I can certainly see why some would find this useful, but for me it is a source of constant annoyance. Perhaps just include an "Enable/Disable Focus and Other"? Should be easy enough to implement.

Mails from Microsoft including mails with customer licence informations etc. are rated as "not relevant" :-)
    Really: who programmed that ********!

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base