OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Focused and Other - Get Rid Of!

I want one inbox - I didn't ask for two. The other and focused options are so screwed up and annoying; I cannot even imagine why this was done. Most of the time I am getting focused emails in my other and other emails in my focused. How do your algorithms even sort or decide which is which? And why are you deciding? It is my inbox!

1,849 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angelina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off – I want to thank each and every one of your for trying the Outlook.com beta. Also for spending the time to offer and vote on all of the feedback.

I wanted to make sure that we let you all know that we did add some more controls around the Focused/Other inboxes. This includes allowing you to decide if you want it on or off.

We also fixed some bugs to make sure that it keeps your desired setting after you login/log out

To Control Focused Other Do the following:

1) Login to your account and make sure you are in the Beta
2) In the top right hand corner there is a little Gear Icon, click on it.
3) This opens the quick settings pane. From here you can disable Focused/Other, as well as other features like Conversation View, and the reading Pane.

Also, as you click on the settings in the Quick Settings you should see your screen update. This should help you ensure you are configuring your setup exactly the way you like.

Hope this helps, and thanks for all of the feedback!

David Los

315 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when trying to flag, or mark as read/unread, the icons bounce around and are frustratingly difficult to click. Also, I'm not sure how the "Focused" and "Other" categories help anyone - it just makes for an additional section that I have to check - although I know that function isn't currently in beta any more.

Otherwise, the preview view is quite nice - if the bugs could just be worked out, I think it'd be nice.

• Loretta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Be able to delete emails without having to preview them first. Turn off preview option. I also still dont like the focused and other separation of emails.

I don't know why you think you can decide what I want to focus on or not for one thing you get it wrong a lot. I just want one inbox again not 2

• brevtilltoni@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of my time when checking my inbox goes to sorting through e-mails, what to read, what to sort away or to discard. The new view is far worse than the old, it requires more focus because of the increased amount of information.

Get better at allowing more efficient categorisation. I like the focused vs other inbox. You could improve this, e.g. faster auto-filtering and an overview of all auto-filters (couldn't find one as of yet)

• Melissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really hated it when you changed things from Focused & Other. Having two different categories is really confusing and hard to distinguish. I generally try to use my phone to not see and deal with the new layout. This NEW layout is not visually easy to see with a side by side viewing. Please don't make it even more confusing for people to use.

How do I get the two categories combined so I don't have to bounce back and forth from "Focused" to "Other," (which generally aren't categorized correctly.

No "Focused" & "Other" folders, two inboxes is just annoying. Also wouldn't let me open an email in a new window.

• Doxi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is clunky in use and slows down computer. Just bring the Hotmail layout back. And no more "Focused/Other", I want to see all my emails. If I don't want to see a particular email, I can use folders like always or even unsubscribe to the mailing list in question.

It feels like Hotmail is trying to mimic Google but trying to change things about so it doesn't look like it.

Outlook was FINE before you changed it to have focused and other inboxes. Those separate inboxes confuse the **** out of me (and friends/family) and I always end up with spam/unimportant stuff in the focused inbox and important stuff hidden in other. It gets too complicated when adding more things to the mix, screen is too cluttered. Very much dislike it. Leave it as it is.

I actually now prefer checking emails via my iOS apps on my phone over outlook, which is saying something because I really dislike my phone's email apps.

Be nice if it worked!! You're trying to justify employing software staff who, for the sake of being seen to be doing something (on pain of being fired), will fiddle with things which already work!! IF IT WORKS, DON'T FIX IT!! I was already having difficulty with "Focused" and "Other", where most of the emails I received were "Focused" (pretty much anything else was a spam, and mostly catered for in Rules). Now, I want to move a message to a folder whose name I don't recall fully (but know how to find it!) but Beta won't let me find it! Yet I need Hotmail/Outlook system in order to keep finding work!
    Your move!

Add option to remove "Focused" and "Other" section. Utterly useless to most people. People don't want you to decide which email is more important. I am a business owner and I need to see all my emails in chronological order all in the same place. Seems you have copied Gmail who also did this a few years ago but they called it "Social" and "More". It is completely useless and only hinders the process of reading emails.

You can add these features and no one would complain if you just gave us the courtesy of allowing us to disable it. It is not your place to decide what emails I do and don't want to read. I will have to switch to Yahoo it seems as they are the only mainstream mail client that still shows emails in the order they come in without separating them. I already have two Yahoo accounts for my eBay stores.

Also give option to disable preview pane as it takes up too much space.

• Carol Hewitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find the new look very busy and cluttered. The circus-like round icons next to different senders names makes the overall look far busier and distracting than necessary.

I find the last set of developments between a "focused" and "other" mailbox frustrating enough. I've missed important emails that were addressed solely to me so obvious not marketing things from brands I've purchased from (which I assumed was the intent or use of the "other" box). In one instance two emails that needed a an urgent response we sent to junk mail for no discernible reason! I can only imagine this cluttered new appearance will make things even more frustrating. Organization is one thing but I really wish Outlook would stop trying to micromanage my mail for me.

I want to be able to filter by date or from. I like being able to turn focused off. I do not like the focused at all..

• Des commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give me what I have been used to for years! One inbox, not two! My android doensn't like it either!

It's bad enough having to change back and forth from focused to other to make sure I've responded to everything I need to. The new beta layout is confusing and obnoxious. Just leave it alone and list emails in the order they come. It's not exactly brain surgery to hit the delete button if I don't want it.

• Louise Hayward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not like the interface of the new Beta. It looks like outlook and is too cluttered with lots of vertical panels. I like being able to see a long list of all my emails, only taking up a line each with the name and subject like before - it doesn't need the intro of what the email says.

I also DETEST the new 'focussed/other' view of my emails. How can I change it back? It's like I now have to check two lots of emails as they don't show on the same page!!

Thanks

• scott plumley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

original was better i do not rate this beta highly, too clustered, too hard too to just skim through the first few recent emails.
    on the original though i dislike the new feature of Focused and other, as there is no logical reason i can see of splitting them as you have, unless i personally got too choose the filtering process which i didn't. keep it sleak and user friendly, not all people using the outlook are computer savy and the outlook app is terrible and not user friendly

• Julius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why bothering change the layout? keep it simple, just as it has been for many years. The new one just look like one of those generic mail apps or programs from the office. everything showing off in the same screen, this looks terryble and is really a mess, when i click on a email,i want that only and specific mail showing up, in big, in the center of the screen, just like it was before.

I DONT LIKE IT. DONT CHANGE THE LAYOUT

• Christina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I dislike the "focused" thing. I like to just be able to flag the important ones and sort to be able to keep flagged on top; then sort the remaining by date, sender, etc. I change my sort depending on if I'm doing a sweep or just checking for updates, etc. I also hate the conversation ring. Just keep it on one email document instead of the multiple threads. It gets so confusing and you end up responding to the wrong email. I would like the idea of easily adding emoticons and gifs but I didn't get that far because I was too frustrated with the focused thing and not being able to sort while in Beta so I turned Beta off and didn't play any further with it.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base