OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Focused and Other - Get Rid Of!

I want one inbox - I didn't ask for two. The other and focused options are so screwed up and annoying; I cannot even imagine why this was done. Most of the time I am getting focused emails in my other and other emails in my focused. How do your algorithms even sort or decide which is which? And why are you deciding? It is my inbox!

1,857 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angelina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off – I want to thank each and every one of your for trying the Outlook.com beta. Also for spending the time to offer and vote on all of the feedback.

I wanted to make sure that we let you all know that we did add some more controls around the Focused/Other inboxes. This includes allowing you to decide if you want it on or off.

We also fixed some bugs to make sure that it keeps your desired setting after you login/log out

To Control Focused Other Do the following:

1) Login to your account and make sure you are in the Beta
2) In the top right hand corner there is a little Gear Icon, click on it.
3) This opens the quick settings pane. From here you can disable Focused/Other, as well as other features like Conversation View, and the reading Pane.

Also, as you click on the settings in the Quick Settings you should see your screen update. This should help you ensure you are configuring your setup exactly the way you like.

Hope this helps, and thanks for all of the feedback!

David Los

325 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i dont like the focused/other. i want to be able to see ALL of my emails, not just ones Outlook is deeming that i want to read. I want to read all of them except for the junk ones---which are already taken care of.

I definitely liked the beta better than the current version as far as look and smoothness goes, BUT (sorry, there's a but) I still can't stand the way the new folders are. I don't like having my individual folders, Focused, and Other, and Junk. It seems to complex without being really necessary. Blocking would be a must have, and junk mail not opening automatically. However I did like the mail on the side, like my Outlook account at work. I love the professional version of Outlook, and this beta version was more reminiscent of that, which made it easier for me to navigate. So, to sum up, good job, but some tweaking (not twerking, lol!!) is required to make it great. :)

• fabiola.caloca@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't care for the beta version it looks to messy & cluttered. Keep it simple!
    Don't care to have the option of focused & other for inbox. Can we choose what we want to be focused or not?

Beta or not, please go back to one inbox. I have lost emails because I checked one without checking the other. Having more than one does NOT help me to remain organized.

please dont change to this beta, its so confusing to use! it's actually stressing me out because everything is all over the place.

also i dont like the FOCUSED/OTHER folder! im missing some emails because they get sent here .

• David Fleet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop over complicating things, get the spam filter to work or something useful
    I get about 7 emails a day from people i continually block and report, this has been going for years, you have done nothing to help

• Mikala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found it too hard to find things. To cluttered and I really don't like the "focused" and "other" folders.
    I just want to see all my emails in one place. Not have someone else decide for me where my "focus" should be. I have missed to many emails because they are slipping through different filters.

I gave the Beta version a go earlier, I did not like the look of it. Everything was too large and compacted to one side. I like the look of things evenly spread out in rows and easy to access all the actions.
    I also do not appreciate having my emails filtered into the Junk box when they aren't junk, NOR do I like the "Focused/Others" 'Feature' I want all my emails in the inbox and then i'll filter them to where they are to go.

Stop the stupid "focused" and "other" idiocy. Whatever algorithm it uses to decide what's important and not important doesn't work. If it's important to me I'll decide. Just give me my inbox without forcing me to deal with something that I have zero interest in.

• Julia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to check my email quickly and easily not spend time wondering if its in the focused or other inbox. I just want to see all my emails organized by time received newest to oldest.

when trying to flag, or mark as read/unread, the icons bounce around and are frustratingly difficult to click. Also, I'm not sure how the "Focused" and "Other" categories help anyone - it just makes for an additional section that I have to check - although I know that function isn't currently in beta any more.

Otherwise, the preview view is quite nice - if the bugs could just be worked out, I think it'd be nice.

• Loretta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Be able to delete emails without having to preview them first. Turn off preview option. I also still dont like the focused and other separation of emails.

I don't know why you think you can decide what I want to focus on or not for one thing you get it wrong a lot. I just want one inbox again not 2

• brevtilltoni@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of my time when checking my inbox goes to sorting through e-mails, what to read, what to sort away or to discard. The new view is far worse than the old, it requires more focus because of the increased amount of information.

Get better at allowing more efficient categorisation. I like the focused vs other inbox. You could improve this, e.g. faster auto-filtering and an overview of all auto-filters (couldn't find one as of yet)

• Melissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really hated it when you changed things from Focused & Other. Having two different categories is really confusing and hard to distinguish. I generally try to use my phone to not see and deal with the new layout. This NEW layout is not visually easy to see with a side by side viewing. Please don't make it even more confusing for people to use.

How do I get the two categories combined so I don't have to bounce back and forth from "Focused" to "Other," (which generally aren't categorized correctly.

No "Focused" & "Other" folders, two inboxes is just annoying. Also wouldn't let me open an email in a new window.

• Doxi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is clunky in use and slows down computer. Just bring the Hotmail layout back. And no more "Focused/Other", I want to see all my emails. If I don't want to see a particular email, I can use folders like always or even unsubscribe to the mailing list in question.

It feels like Hotmail is trying to mimic Google but trying to change things about so it doesn't look like it.

Outlook was FINE before you changed it to have focused and other inboxes. Those separate inboxes confuse the **** out of me (and friends/family) and I always end up with spam/unimportant stuff in the focused inbox and important stuff hidden in other. It gets too complicated when adding more things to the mix, screen is too cluttered. Very much dislike it. Leave it as it is.

I actually now prefer checking emails via my iOS apps on my phone over outlook, which is saying something because I really dislike my phone's email apps.

Be nice if it worked!! You're trying to justify employing software staff who, for the sake of being seen to be doing something (on pain of being fired), will fiddle with things which already work!! IF IT WORKS, DON'T FIX IT!! I was already having difficulty with "Focused" and "Other", where most of the emails I received were "Focused" (pretty much anything else was a spam, and mostly catered for in Rules). Now, I want to move a message to a folder whose name I don't recall fully (but know how to find it!) but Beta won't let me find it! Yet I need Hotmail/Outlook system in order to keep finding work!
    Your move!

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base