OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Focused and Other - Get Rid Of!

I want one inbox - I didn't ask for two. The other and focused options are so screwed up and annoying; I cannot even imagine why this was done. Most of the time I am getting focused emails in my other and other emails in my focused. How do your algorithms even sort or decide which is which? And why are you deciding? It is my inbox!

1,849 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angelina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off – I want to thank each and every one of your for trying the Outlook.com beta. Also for spending the time to offer and vote on all of the feedback.

I wanted to make sure that we let you all know that we did add some more controls around the Focused/Other inboxes. This includes allowing you to decide if you want it on or off.

We also fixed some bugs to make sure that it keeps your desired setting after you login/log out

To Control Focused Other Do the following:

1) Login to your account and make sure you are in the Beta
2) In the top right hand corner there is a little Gear Icon, click on it.
3) This opens the quick settings pane. From here you can disable Focused/Other, as well as other features like Conversation View, and the reading Pane.

Also, as you click on the settings in the Quick Settings you should see your screen update. This should help you ensure you are configuring your setup exactly the way you like.

Hope this helps, and thanks for all of the feedback!

David Los

315 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • maria2198@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too cluttered. I can't find where certain emails are with the "Focused" and "Other" Inbox. My emails are scattered with no real reason. Even when I set an email to go to "Focused" Inbox and then search for it, I still can't manually find it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not like the Focused/Other Box ... way too confusing! I do not like the filter - not enough choices ... I like to sort by date and also by name.

I do like to be able to click on the person sending the email and seeing it right away without having to double click - that feature is great.

• Annalise Hunnicutt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really don't like the Focus and Other inboxes. I much prefer to see all my emails in one section. It just adds one more obstruction to viewing emails. It's not quick and easy to check your email. Before I could take one glance and be done. Now I have to check both folders. Very cumbersome and not a fan. At least have an option to turn that off.

• Georgia Stocks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just hate that my mail that's coming into my inbox is being separated. It's my mail so I should decide what's important and what isn't. Anything I don't think is worthy, I delete or class as spam mail so it gets sent to my junk folder if anything else comes from that sender. It doesn't take a lot of time to switch between the two but when you have a busy schedule, I like to skim through my mail and sometimes ignore it until later if there is nothing of importance.

• Cat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too much scrolling up and down in an email to read it. Quite messy looking. Not a fan of the 'other' and 'focused' mailbox options either. The old way is much better to navigate around.

Didn't like Beta at all so I returned to the original version where I can see at a glance new e-mails and ones that I have already read. Beta has too much on one page and overfaces you with information. Also I'm not keen on having a 'focused' and 'other' inbox, it was much simpler when there was only one. Sometimes the clearer and simpler things are the best and we can over complicate things as I believe you are doing.

• Ana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to see all my emails and not have them divided by other or focus. If I want to see what the email is about it is my choice. I do not want to see the email view all the time. Keep it simple and basic, I do not want complicated ways of looking at the email.

Beta is rubbish, you click on an email and you can't even see the whole thing. Also the focused and other sections are also rubbish, just show me my emails

• Ahsan Aryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First thing comes first! It looks Awesome with the detailing of an e-mail!
    I feel comfortable with e-mailing, reading, replying; it's better than even Outlook App in my PC!

I don't have to go back for another mail, & even i can see through a specific conversation; yes, It's easy.

I can see a pop-up menu coming up when i click senders name, that's great!

Though I don't see a proper use for Focused & Other mail options in the menu.

• g-mavridis@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Go Back to when all my emails were on one list! I miss emails all the time because i now have to check two different panel screens!

i dont like the focused/other. i want to be able to see ALL of my emails, not just ones Outlook is deeming that i want to read. I want to read all of them except for the junk ones---which are already taken care of.

I definitely liked the beta better than the current version as far as look and smoothness goes, BUT (sorry, there's a but) I still can't stand the way the new folders are. I don't like having my individual folders, Focused, and Other, and Junk. It seems to complex without being really necessary. Blocking would be a must have, and junk mail not opening automatically. However I did like the mail on the side, like my Outlook account at work. I love the professional version of Outlook, and this beta version was more reminiscent of that, which made it easier for me to navigate. So, to sum up, good job, but some tweaking (not twerking, lol!!) is required to make it great. :)

• fabiola.caloca@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't care for the beta version it looks to messy & cluttered. Keep it simple!
    Don't care to have the option of focused & other for inbox. Can we choose what we want to be focused or not?

Beta or not, please go back to one inbox. I have lost emails because I checked one without checking the other. Having more than one does NOT help me to remain organized.

please dont change to this beta, its so confusing to use! it's actually stressing me out because everything is all over the place.

also i dont like the FOCUSED/OTHER folder! im missing some emails because they get sent here .

• David Fleet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop over complicating things, get the spam filter to work or something useful
    I get about 7 emails a day from people i continually block and report, this has been going for years, you have done nothing to help

• Mikala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found it too hard to find things. To cluttered and I really don't like the "focused" and "other" folders.
    I just want to see all my emails in one place. Not have someone else decide for me where my "focus" should be. I have missed to many emails because they are slipping through different filters.

I gave the Beta version a go earlier, I did not like the look of it. Everything was too large and compacted to one side. I like the look of things evenly spread out in rows and easy to access all the actions.
    I also do not appreciate having my emails filtered into the Junk box when they aren't junk, NOR do I like the "Focused/Others" 'Feature' I want all my emails in the inbox and then i'll filter them to where they are to go.

Stop the stupid "focused" and "other" idiocy. Whatever algorithm it uses to decide what's important and not important doesn't work. If it's important to me I'll decide. Just give me my inbox without forcing me to deal with something that I have zero interest in.

• Julia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to check my email quickly and easily not spend time wondering if its in the focused or other inbox. I just want to see all my emails organized by time received newest to oldest.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base