OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Focused and Other - Get Rid Of!

I want one inbox - I didn't ask for two. The other and focused options are so screwed up and annoying; I cannot even imagine why this was done. Most of the time I am getting focused emails in my other and other emails in my focused. How do your algorithms even sort or decide which is which? And why are you deciding? It is my inbox!

1,849 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angelina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off – I want to thank each and every one of your for trying the Outlook.com beta. Also for spending the time to offer and vote on all of the feedback.

I wanted to make sure that we let you all know that we did add some more controls around the Focused/Other inboxes. This includes allowing you to decide if you want it on or off.

We also fixed some bugs to make sure that it keeps your desired setting after you login/log out

To Control Focused Other Do the following:

1) Login to your account and make sure you are in the Beta
2) In the top right hand corner there is a little Gear Icon, click on it.
3) This opens the quick settings pane. From here you can disable Focused/Other, as well as other features like Conversation View, and the reading Pane.

Also, as you click on the settings in the Quick Settings you should see your screen update. This should help you ensure you are configuring your setup exactly the way you like.

Hope this helps, and thanks for all of the feedback!

David Los

315 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • finandfeathers@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had to switch back because I couldn't find some of my unread emails in my Inbox. They simple weren't visible. I find it really distracting having my emails "sorted" into "Focused" and "Other" and now the new one groups them by months and days. Just put the email into the Inbox folder or the folders I have already set up to received particular emails and let me deal with them. Especially when a bunch of my emails, I have specifically stated are Not Spam, keep ending up in the Trash folder.

• tim.ohara@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New messages are not automatically appearing in my Inbox. The left hand pane says there is a new message, but I have to either refresh the whole page, toggle Focused/Other, or choose Unread in the drop down filter.

• Shawn McComb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Several....email from like 2015 for example do not like the split inbox focused and other because it has made me miss important email. I also dislike the fact you cant look at 50 email page and delete 50 at a time. I want the old style back regarding that. I dislike that I have been unable to search then delete several emails from the search. WHERE ARE ALL the missing emails?!!! please contact me with an answer! Also when I looked for terms of service on feed back page it came up blank

• chan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

nothing wrong with the beta, just that the whole outlook is rather complicated and not user friendly, especially the focused inbox and other inbox, they are so confusing, and not friendly to email move to designate folder. it causing me overlooked some important message.

• Jenn ... commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like sorting my own e-mails. I dislike this feature. As long as the e-mails are easy to categorize (by sliding them to a folder), I would like to see my e-mails grouped in the same place.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like Outlook to decide which emails of mine that is qualified to be focused on and what belongs to "other". How do you know? And that's also kinda racist

• peter Lantos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do not split my inbox into focused and other. I have even had to retrieve things from spam that could only have been put there on an 'eeny meeny miny mo' basis.
    Please make your software work (first time perhaps) and be CONSISTENT - not a geek's playground.

• Kristof Van Proeyen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No idea how the 'focused' & 'other' mail are supposed to be seperated and how it is generated. Trying to figure out a logical approach, but doesn't make any sense to me at all.
    Besides that, Outlook has become a total disaster. I've arranged an auto-reply to stop sending mails to my outlook accounts. Every update has been a downgrade and the more you try to recover and try to keep up with the unnecessary, sh*tty settings, the more complicated it all becomes.

• Jonathan Simmons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- I am definitely not a fan of the focused and "other" email sort function.
    - When writing a response to a received email it becomes really confusing to scan through the email string, especially when the latest received email is above the email which one is drafting.

It has become way too complex and complicated. Focused and other is a terrible idea that should be scrapped immediately. Cant block emails from senders because they all seem to come from myself, and now that Ive had this email for so long I get bombarded with junk that I dont want, and have no way to stop. Scrap the beta, scrap focused and other, and make it so users can actually block emails, or come up with a smarter filter so I dont have to delete 27 junk emails every single morning. Theres too many email services out there to stick with an over complex system that doesnt make any sense.

• sunny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

very complicated. How you separate emails and direct them into focus and others? I prefer all emails to be delivered to one folder so that I will not miss out any email

i don't like to have two differents viws to show other and priority mail. sometimes, my insurrance company sends an email but i can't see till one week because the mail is in "other" inbox.

• F Blakney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Splitting the in box into two focused and other is a pain and inconvenient. I wish I could go back. It also does not work with the email in Samsung 8 android. Mail does not show up had to download outlook app. Poor desighn.

For the love of all that is holy, I am missing so many emails because of this focused/other split. If i wanted two mail boxes, I would sign up for a second!!. please just give me one place to see my mail.

• jiminflorence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would really be helpful if, first, you would get rid of that stupid Focused and Other bifurcation, it's unnecessary and confusing. Also don't like the vertical panels. KEEP IT SIMPLE and FIRE the IT wizkids who came up with these "improvements."

• jiminflorence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would really be helpful if, first, you would get rid of that stupid Focused and Other bifurcation, it's unnecessary and confusing. Also don't like the vertical panels. KEEP IT SIMPLE and FIRE the IT wizkids who came up with these "improvements."

No need for inbox other inbox and junk, should streamline the inbox to show all emails, as some were hidden away in my "other" inbox. So I cancelled my beta straight away after this.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base