OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Focused and Other - Get Rid Of!

I want one inbox - I didn't ask for two. The other and focused options are so screwed up and annoying; I cannot even imagine why this was done. Most of the time I am getting focused emails in my other and other emails in my focused. How do your algorithms even sort or decide which is which? And why are you deciding? It is my inbox!

1,849 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angelina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off – I want to thank each and every one of your for trying the Outlook.com beta. Also for spending the time to offer and vote on all of the feedback.

I wanted to make sure that we let you all know that we did add some more controls around the Focused/Other inboxes. This includes allowing you to decide if you want it on or off.

We also fixed some bugs to make sure that it keeps your desired setting after you login/log out

To Control Focused Other Do the following:

1) Login to your account and make sure you are in the Beta
2) In the top right hand corner there is a little Gear Icon, click on it.
3) This opens the quick settings pane. From here you can disable Focused/Other, as well as other features like Conversation View, and the reading Pane.

Also, as you click on the settings in the Quick Settings you should see your screen update. This should help you ensure you are configuring your setup exactly the way you like.

Hope this helps, and thanks for all of the feedback!

David Los

315 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really dislike the "Focused" and "Others" split up. I want to see all my emails in one list and not have someone else decide have to veiw them. This is not a new feature but I still REALLY hate it! In the new version I don't like the +number of emails feature. Can't you just let me view all my emails in the list from?

• amctighe@tpg.com.au commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not finding the new layout clean or simple (not that it is hard to follow). But my immediate impression is one of clutter, intrusive ads, and a lack of transparent tools to handle the ever increasing emails.

The Focus and Other labelling is not clear, the grouping of other messages etc.

Sorry guys.... a little more white space, allow the user to ad colour to the individual message icons (to identify personal vs work vs unknown etc and lastly why does it seem to work better (rapid refresh when sweeping etc) in Firefox and Chrome than in Edge?

Horrible format for dealing with messages. I already hated the focuses and other split, but then the way in which the conversations are stacked is truly dreadful. Almost impossible to see quickly, the latest updates and messages and the way in which you have to scroll to the bottom and reply just doesn't work intuitively.

I would much rather keep the current look and feel than the new beta look and feel. I gave it a few weeks and have to switch back.

• Shane F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make the focused inbox feature configurable, and preserve that configuration.

I miss too many important emails because they've slid into the 'Other' category, and the configuration in the settings seems to reset itself every time I refresh the page.

I can see it being useful to come people, but I already use Junk Mail for stuff I don't want to see :)

• Sulin Larenas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have the option of folders only if you want them, in my case i just need inbox and spam.More folders just add more confusion in my case and i always forget to open or read one of them and i lose important emails that get on the wrong classification

• cpillard@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree, emails that should be in the junk mail are getting sent to my focused email. I never signed up for the emails, I don't need match.com in my focused email, idk where they got my email from in the first place!

Reduce the amount you're trying to do. It doesn't need to be technical at all. It's a bit of a joke with all these focused and other systems, not knowing where emails are going to go. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Outlook on my desktop, so there's no need to update the internet version to something that's completely unusable. Simple is better. If you want something that works, copy the Outlook you get on the desktop!

I found the "focused" and "other" sorting options to be confusing and counter-intuitive. I'd rather see my messages in order, listed out in order, as they arrive to my inbox. As well, I found the right-most column to be too narrow to effectively display messages while reading or for composing new messages.

I would like an option see "Focused" & "Other" an a single inbox - not switch between the two boxes. It makes it hard to read all the emails that I have. Also, have been missing important emails.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really poor on a smart phone keeping it simple inan outlook style format is MUCH easier to read the bubble at the beginning of the text doesn't add anything in my mind to the user. I for one find it frustrating

its up to me to decided what needs to be 'focused' 'other' not you. Its made me very angry as like i said i've missed important emails. or havent been able to find important things that i mivght not have had time to flag or folder initially when reading

• Ingi Freyr Ágústsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please take away the Focused - Other option in Inbox. When I open my inbox I want to see all the inbox mails there, not split into 2 folders.

Too many "genuine" and important emails arriving in the other box - such as online confirmation emails, shopping receipts, insurance policies, quotes, application forms etc.

My idea is for you to put Hotmail back the way it was. This version is awful.

• Hayden Darvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I gave the Focused Inbox a try and its not my thing. I went to my settings to turn it off and it went away. However, my entire inbox seemed to disappear as well. The side bar said I had 11 new messages in my inbox, but nothing was displayed. I had to toggle the feature back on then off again just to ready my email. I have to do this each time I sign into my account on a web browser. I'd rather not check all my messages through the standard iPhone mail app, so I'm disabling the Beta on my web browser. :\ Kinda sucks.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base