OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

New experiences in Outlook.com

Focused and Other - Get Rid Of!

I want one inbox - I didn't ask for two. The other and focused options are so screwed up and annoying; I cannot even imagine why this was done. Most of the time I am getting focused emails in my other and other emails in my focused. How do your algorithms even sort or decide which is which? And why are you deciding? It is my inbox!

1,849 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angelina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off – I want to thank each and every one of your for trying the Outlook.com beta. Also for spending the time to offer and vote on all of the feedback.

I wanted to make sure that we let you all know that we did add some more controls around the Focused/Other inboxes. This includes allowing you to decide if you want it on or off.

We also fixed some bugs to make sure that it keeps your desired setting after you login/log out

To Control Focused Other Do the following:

1) Login to your account and make sure you are in the Beta
    2) In the top right hand corner there is a little Gear Icon, click on it.
    3) This opens the quick settings pane. From here you can disable Focused/Other, as well as other features like Conversation View, and the reading Pane.

Also, as you click on the settings in the Quick Settings you should see your screen update. This should help you ensure you are configuring your setup exactly the way you like.

Hope this helps, and thanks for all of the feedback!

David Los

314 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have spent ages trying to find out how to turn this off and it seems that if using Outlook 2016 you can't because the button doesn't appear for everyone - this is most annoying. It states, the option may appear in future updates - why not just update everyone now.

As others have said, it is really not needed and even more annoying is that I can't even turn it off! Where is consumers choice in all of this?

I need to have ONE inbox folder, I keep getting spam in my "focused" folder you have NO idea which emails are "other" and which ones are "focused" I basically need to check my email twice and sift through these folders I never asked for so I dont miss important emails, which has happened since this"feature" was forced on us

• glraymond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What do "Focused" and "Other" Inboxes mean? Makes no sense to me. I suppose it is normal for Microsoft to make no sense. They are too busy conducting surveillance.

• gaminekelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please the "focused" and "other" is terrible! please just fix it back to one inbox, PLEASE... thank you

i have this problem on android marshmallow on the outlook.com app. how do i disable this utter nonsense?

• Andy Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate the "focused" and "other" inboxes. It's stupid and there's no sense to what gets put into focused and what gets put into other. It's awful, get rid of it.

• yousef_atai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Horrible user interface - I want to get rid of the "Other" inbox and have all my mail in "Focused" inbox

• Toren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NO JOKE, MICROSOFT. This is like new coke, except it isn't going away. Stop pretending you know more about what I need my computer to do for me than I do. Computers should be reactive, not predictive unless it has something to do with certain search algorithms. I look at "Focused" and "Other" and see no rhyme or rhythm - there are rules and I can make my own.

I shouldn't have to follow a page of instructions and waist an hour of my day to configure it and turn it off. How about leave well enough alone unless I jump through hoops to turn it on.

I'm talking to you Microsoft development director suits...

P.S. Looks like about 100% of the comments are telling you to *GET RID OF IT*. Please.

I'd just add this: Hurry.

• Toren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NO JOKE, MICROSOFT. This is like new coke, except it isn't going away. Stop pretending you know more about what I need my computer to do for me than I do. Computers should be reactive, not predictive unless it has something to do with certain search algorithms. I look at "Focused" and "Other" and see no rhyme or rhythm - there are rules and I can make my own.

I shouldn't have to follow a page of instructions and waist an hour of my day to configure it and turn it off. How about leave well enough alone unless I jump through hoops to turn it on.

Get a clue development director suits...

Get rid of it. Please.

• Carol Brentnall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't know what you are talking abou! Don't want any changes! Leave us all alone with your dumb ideas or I will use another e-mail provider! HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THESE COMMENTS. DO NOT SEND A RESPONSE TO MY E-MAIL!!!!!!!

• mva801@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ger rid of this feature. I'm so confused when checking for new mail, i never know what conversations will be in focused or other. It doesn't even decribe them. What is a "focused" inbox and why doesn't it show me half my new emails? All i need is an inbox, a junk folder, and that's it.

• W Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This new version of Outlook mail is absolutely rubbish. Why have 2 inboxes? It causes confusion and wastes my precious looking through junk I don't want. Go back to the simpler, more user-friendly version of 10 years ago.

• Enrico Chiappetta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't I any longer able to sign out of my new beta, "wonderful" P of S Outlook email account? Disgraceful!!! What genius thought of that feature? It seems we have a bunch brainless monkeys at the controls over at MS Outlook... If this is offensive to you... I really meant it to be!!!

• Sean Mangroo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook really doesn't listen to its users does it? The beta isn't good, it causes more problems than it fixes (which are zero) and people want to get rid of it and go back to at least the last version. holding peoples email ******* until we forcibly get used to it isn't a positive thing.

• lukeslc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I simply DO NOT like what they have done to Outlook. I DO NOT like the new look, or whatever it is. I HATE the "improvements", if that is what they think they are. I just want back what I had before this big change. Actually, I am starting to use G-MAIL because I HATE what they have done to Outlook.

I don't even have the option to switch back & forth any more.
        Outlook has treated its customers with contempt in forcing this horrible new version on them - if Beta was as "wonderful" as they think it is, we'd *choose* to use it!! It can only be that we're forced to use it because they know no-one would if we had the choice! Seems the only choice we have is to choose a different provider...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

New experiences in Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base