OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

4 column layout is not good for reading email content.

the screen is separated into 4 columns: folder list, email subject list, email content and ads. I do not mind ads but it takes a huge potion of screen if 4 columns!
I can't read the email content in such a small column area!
No one write an email that expected people read in column!

1,113 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – First off thanks for all of the valuable feedback. We review it all and try to ensure we are addressing things! I just wanted to give some updates about all of the feedback about the multiple columns

We totally understand that some of you really do not enjoy the multi column or reading pane on the right hand side.

So we have introduced a few quick settings that will allow you to configure the experience in a way that is pleasing to you.

Once you are logged into your mailbox (and in the Beta) do the following
1) Click on the Gear in the top right hand corner
2) This will show the Quick Settings Pane
3) The items you will likely want to configure are Reading Pane. For this you can Either turn it off, have it on the bottom, or on the right.
4) Message Preview – If you want the more single line view of your messages (subject only), turn this off.

One thing to call out, as you make changes in the quick settings pane your inbox will update right away. This should help you find the setting and experience that you enjoy the most.

Please keep all of the great feedback coming!

David Los

201 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Zane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

only need a column for the list of emails and my directories. I open the emails when I want to read them. I don't require preview screen

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reading pane is too narrow. Can't read emails without scrolling side to side. Perhaps remove/move the ads on the right and provide the ability to zoom in and out, within the reading panel

• Debbie Pullman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would you assume everyone wants a three-column approach? You are using up all the real estate in columns!

I go to email to READ EMAIL, not look at columns. If this is the Outlook, I'll be switching to gmail.

• suarezcs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I dislike having a lot of vertical panel! Keep pages simple! with which parameters decide which e-mail is a priority and which isn´t? I´d like them all to be in the same column, since the search is now much simpler.
    That was a great idea.

• AS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could see 16 emails with 2 pinned in old version but can only see 4 with two pinned in the new version. The pinned emails are too big!!!!!

• Hicham Lahlou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many columns, and so it's difficult to go through an email text. Reading emails should be easy and simple.

• Don commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like the new email layout with three vertical columns. Please give us the option to use the "Classic" layout for the emails, i.e. one vertical column to the left for all the folders, and then two horizontal panes to the right with the email list on top and the email body at bottom. This layout has been used since the invention of email. It works well and there's no reason to change it.

on a small screen the vertical columns are untennable and i couldnt find an easy way to pop the emails out into full screen. if you didnt have that add on the right hand side, it would probably be ok, but you do, so it's not.

There are too many colors and the text on the emails is far too large. It is very difficult to read emails as only a few words appear in the very small vertical column on the right side of the screen. I also have a lot of trouble opening an email, rather than viewing it in that right column.

The reading pane is too narrow....I can't see the full width of the email and have to scroll left and right to see it. I've tried to make the other columns narrower, but they don't move.

• Manuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The attached images last a lot of time an have bugs, yo have to chage the forder for view the image charged.

Also, there are TOO vertical columns on the left. I think is useless and reiterative.

The columns on the left site (folders and senders) fill half of the screen, and I have to scroll horizontal to see the complete e-mail.

• louise gasparelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate the new layout of beta. I now have three columns, folders, emails and then new messages. I could not find a way of minimising or hiding any to give me a bigger 'writing' screen. It was really messy and jumbled, and not at all user friendly. I would not use this.

i very much dislike that you can only view roughly a quarter of the emails at one time then the original. it makes it impossible to identify which emails you need to respond to at a glance.

Vertical columns is a terrible idea that takes up too much space and prevents you from easily seeing your emails.

• michelle.usher@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i cant even see the email. so many columns take up the space and i cant move them in. keep email in a page all its own. i can only read a couple of the words

• lrd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like Old traditional Outlook design better- more efficient and faster to read /scan emails than having to always constantly scroll down long vertical columns

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base