OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

4 column layout is not good for reading email content.

the screen is separated into 4 columns: folder list, email subject list, email content and ads. I do not mind ads but it takes a huge potion of screen if 4 columns!
I can't read the email content in such a small column area!
No one write an email that expected people read in column!

1,113 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – First off thanks for all of the valuable feedback. We review it all and try to ensure we are addressing things! I just wanted to give some updates about all of the feedback about the multiple columns

We totally understand that some of you really do not enjoy the multi column or reading pane on the right hand side.

So we have introduced a few quick settings that will allow you to configure the experience in a way that is pleasing to you.

Once you are logged into your mailbox (and in the Beta) do the following
1) Click on the Gear in the top right hand corner
2) This will show the Quick Settings Pane
3) The items you will likely want to configure are Reading Pane. For this you can Either turn it off, have it on the bottom, or on the right.
4) Message Preview – If you want the more single line view of your messages (subject only), turn this off.

One thing to call out, as you make changes in the quick settings pane your inbox will update right away. This should help you find the setting and experience that you enjoy the most.

Please keep all of the great feedback coming!

David Los

201 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • sourya_roy@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too much space is being eaten by the side bar. Please revert the email, calendar, etc shortcuts to the bottom of the menu bar (like in the non-beta site) instead of putting then in another column which you have right now.

Going back to the old version for now.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Showing messages in columns in PC version is not a good idea for me, it shows the messages too small. I dont need to keep seeing the inbox at the same time that i am reading a mail. I prefer the message full screen with the toolbars hidden in the side and showing when I put the mouse over that side, showing the folders, etc.

In addition i suggest to you to keep an eye in the mail edition, when you use functions like lists or numbered lists, bold text merged with normal text, etc, it usually changes the format, don't apply backspace, and some other weird things.

Thanks for reading.

• Kazzan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the previus experience was more consistent, when the menu was close to the message body.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am VERY unhappy with the new style of my e-mail display. Can I have it changed back or can someone suggest another e-mail service that has a display similar as it was prior to the ads column taking up a third of the screen?

• Roman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Useless very left column.
    Please add a possibility in the options to close the very left column with application icons it just take space. It is just a duplication of the top left app button.

• Joan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With 3 columns, I can't see the message! Please shut one down, or get rid of the advert section. I can't read my emails.

• phillygrl267@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't view my emails properly because the add on the right hand side takes up a big portion of the screen. If I make the other columns smaller, I won't be able to view the subject of the emails or the folder names.

• GJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where to change the Quick Actions on a mail?
    Can't I change the layout myself?
    -remove the sidebar to the other apps
    -resize the folders bar
    -resize the help/options bar
    -remove/hide the column for the sender picture (I turned the option off)
    -resize the space between the mails; I like it more compressed/densed. Likewise in the folder structure pane/bar.
    -resize the columns for the mail list.
    -In options where are my safe senders/domains list and safe mailing list?
    -Where is option Undo send?
    -Option to change from address or aliasses.

-Create an export mail function or even import.

Amount of information shown in all 3 columns is chaotic and makes it difficult to find what you need and focus. Also it means the actual email you want to read is very small and sometimes cuts off information. You should make an option to collapse the columns you don't need to see, like the left-most column, so that the e-mail can be larger.

I just want to send and receive email. That's it. Often I'm doing it on a laptop. So I'm not working with a massive, wide-screen monitor that allows me to comfortably visualize 3+ columns of stuff with giant colored icons and massive junk-mail graphics and attachments crammed into an increasingly crowded slice of the screen.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!!

I didn't like it! It's so confusing to read my emails! Not enought space to read mails.

You're right! the new design makes imposible to read an open email.. Also, the received emails list isn't easy to check

In my opinion, there are too many vertical panels. It doesn't work

• elissemf@live.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate it. There are too many columns to where it is beyond frustrating to do something as simple as read an e-mail. I don't need to be looking at 3 tiny columns when I could be looking at one full page of what I need. Plus there's so many random colors all over it I can't even tell what email has already been read or not.

• Decca Sutherland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree - I have many e-mails to scroll through in sub-folders - makes sifting through past e-mails tougher. If you get 40 mails a day - glancing through them to find the important ones is a hassle.

• fuyi tan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just wanna clean and easy access mail look, the outlook mail style used to very personalized

• Hend commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The page is tooooo crowded with columns... too messy and the page gives a very narrow view of each email to read or to compose.... A big no for this beta version, please don't force us to use it in the future.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base