OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

4 column layout is not good for reading email content.

the screen is separated into 4 columns: folder list, email subject list, email content and ads. I do not mind ads but it takes a huge potion of screen if 4 columns!
I can't read the email content in such a small column area!
No one write an email that expected people read in column!

1,113 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – First off thanks for all of the valuable feedback. We review it all and try to ensure we are addressing things! I just wanted to give some updates about all of the feedback about the multiple columns

We totally understand that some of you really do not enjoy the multi column or reading pane on the right hand side.

So we have introduced a few quick settings that will allow you to configure the experience in a way that is pleasing to you.

Once you are logged into your mailbox (and in the Beta) do the following
1) Click on the Gear in the top right hand corner
2) This will show the Quick Settings Pane
3) The items you will likely want to configure are Reading Pane. For this you can Either turn it off, have it on the bottom, or on the right.
4) Message Preview – If you want the more single line view of your messages (subject only), turn this off.

One thing to call out, as you make changes in the quick settings pane your inbox will update right away. This should help you find the setting and experience that you enjoy the most.

Please keep all of the great feedback coming!

David Los

201 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Marie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agree your actual email message window is so tiny you cant read it properly be better if you could hide/collapse the other windows once in an email message.

• tired of outlook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ainda teimam em manter esta 4ª coluna , a da publicidade.
    IRRITANTE!!!
    Não existe maneira de abrirem os olhos???
    Não admira que o concorrente gmail, cada vez ganhe mais usuários...

They still insist on keeping this 4th column, that of advertising.
    IRRITANT !!!
    There is no way to open their eyes ???
    No wonder that the gmail competitor, each time win more users ...

• Ann Tebo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree. I had to turn off the preview panel. When preview is on the top, you don't let me minimize the list of emails at the top so the bottom preview isn't high enough to see anything but the email header info. The preview on the left is my preference but with the huge amount of space you take up for the ad column on the right, my email is minimized to such a small font that I can barely see it anymore. The preview isn't useable.

• Sandra Cruz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this subject. It's not possible to read emails in columns, if i wanna try to do it, i gotta zoom in and i lose time. I prefer the last version, at least i can read what is written and also watch the images in full size.

• Dominic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of my emails I can not read properly because there is no scroll bar and the column width is far too small!

• lucy_c_hall@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If nothing else, have the emails automatically resize so that the full email is viewable in the column without needing to scroll sideways. If I wanted that, I would just use the mail app on my phone.

• Pamela Giarolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This set up would be fine if we all had monster size monitors to view (like a Smart board) but most of us peasants have a small laptop.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with all these negative comments. I have had Outlook for over 15 years, but this and the next most recent "upgrade" me feel that a change may be necessary.

• Margaret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes I would get a symbol that would allow me to view larger size email but not everytime. I have narrowed down folders column and tried other options but it needs to be just a click or in email action as emails need to be read on smaller lap-top size screen

Keep it close to what gmail looks like. Many emails per page, and quick back forth navigation. There's a reason why gmail hasn't changed much in years.

Agreed!! Please make it so I can open an email to the full screen (as big as was previously) without having to drag the column back and forth all of the time. That's very inconvenient.

• Lorena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do mind the adds, the adds column takes a lot of space, that space can be used to make the email column bigger. It is hard to read an email, the letters are way to small.

don't like 3 vertical columns. It looks very complicated. It should be simple as possible.

• jonathan.hui@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The multi column layout is a mess. Do you expect everyone to buy an ultrawide 21:9 ratio monitor for this site?

Or no, you just DID this to get people to PAY for Outlook to get rid of the ad column right? That way the reading panel won't be a squeezed up mess right now.

Email list need to be condensed. Get rid of that first line of body text. If the email is important I WILL know it by subject and sender and click in to read it. 95% of emails are trash and that first line only clutters the screen up. Why copy Google?

There is absolutely no need to create an coloured icon of the sender/recipient using abbreviations if they have no photo. Apple is A, Orange is O and Microsoft starts with M. Yes we know that.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why all the columns, you cant read your email in the 3rd block with the 4th block showing a load of rubbish with no way to resize the column or close it altogether to have a nice big window like when it used to be Hotmail.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base