OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Make it less cluttered

I didnt like it. I don't like how much more difficult this is getting to navigate and cluttered it is. I miss hotmail. Simple. Effective. You can see the emails, organize them, get to them. Same with your contacts thats ALL that an email service is supposed to do, all that we need it to do.

1,705 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

tiggy_tigger45@hotmail.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off the following: Conversation View, Reading Pane (set to Hide), Sender Image (these are the colored initial circles), Group by Date (these are the date headers in the message list), and finally Attachment Preview.

Once these are off, the view should look VERY similar to the old experience.

Again please keep the feedback coming, the entire team is reviewing every submission and we are working on bringing additional improvements.

Some of these include, Density settings (this will help those that want a more compact view), updated spam/junk settings, Chat improvements, and much much more.

Thanks again for using Outlook.com!

David Los

199 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • hs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

unfortunately its not the original version!! you might actually like that one!

• Yazmin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this and all comments that say similar things about it being too cluttered.

• Josh Barker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Way too cluttered. Whatever they did made a huge difference. There are too many colors with sender's initials. I don't need to see my friend's face or initials. I'd rather just see their name. Also, I don't need to have the mail, people, calendar, photos, and task on the side. That's what the applications button is for. It takes too much room from the inbox and shoves the folders too far to the right. This looks like it would work good for a mobile device, but it's too junky for a desktop PC.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want a simple email system, like it was when I set up my hotmail account.

I want to receive and read messages.

I want to create and send messages.

I would like to sort by "date received", and "received from"

Nothing more.

I do not like the recent changes in previous version which added the second inbox. Beta carries the same. Too complicated. Keep it simple and clean. Microsoft seems to want to make everything for everyone in all there programs and sometimes, less is better.

• Oliver Trinh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too cluttered, terrible design, trying to be a minimalist design but failing terribly. Hard to read anything and know what e-mail I'm clicking. Don't fix what's not broken.

No, it's clumsy and untidy and two inboxes aren't necessary

This is essentially the old version but with more windows.
    Emails should be simple and not cluttered. the filter doesnt work as important emails are missed.
    The older version before these changes was ideal as it was simple and extremely easy to navigate.
    Someone should have thought 'it aint broke... so why fix it!' rather than messing it around

• Edward Dexter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried the beta, but it makes the screen too cluttered and hard to read. I liked having just two vertical panes.

Too cluttered and hard to see things, font too big maybe? Im not digging it, I feel overwhelmed and confused when I open it.

• Leonardo Ferreira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is complicated.
    The idea of ​​displaying the emails on the side is great.
    There is a lot of information, it seems that it was made for technical / engineer users, they forgot to make it easy for ordinary people that they do not have much time to look for the email they need or even what they just received.
    Make it cleaner.
    Make it simpler.
    Less is more.

Thank you.

• Alan Slomowitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like the content panel at the right. It's cluttered and messy, as someone below has said. I do like the easy accessibility of search and attachments.

But I do like the fact that you're trying to update and improve. No criticism there.

Quite glitchy for replying, and especially when sending new messages. Not to mention the amount of clutter, bolding and shear overload of visual. I like to see multiple messages with a small display of the message, not having only 3-4 messages displayed on a 22" screen instead of 12.

• Heather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's too messy and not everything fits as comfortably on my screen as the previous version. It feels like everything is trying to happen all at once, and there's just not space for that on one page.

I don't like how the emails are all grouped together, and I don't like the preview pane.

• Brian Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was far too busy and cluttered. I had a draft email that I was unable to send because I couldn't find the SEND button, had to revert back to the existing version just to be able to send it. Too many vertical columns going on.

Beta is too colorful, complicated and mess up. Things are easy and clutterfree with the old version. Also Skype integration is not needed or it should be made optional.

let it be the way it was!

• Anna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't change it. This looks too crowded and busy. It's hard to see what's read or not and the icons are completely unnecessary. It takes too long to load.

The new Outlook.com: Chat

Feedback and Knowledge Base