OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Make it less cluttered

I didnt like it. I don't like how much more difficult this is getting to navigate and cluttered it is. I miss hotmail. Simple. Effective. You can see the emails, organize them, get to them. Same with your contacts thats ALL that an email service is supposed to do, all that we need it to do.

1,705 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

tiggy_tigger45@hotmail.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off the following: Conversation View, Reading Pane (set to Hide), Sender Image (these are the colored initial circles), Group by Date (these are the date headers in the message list), and finally Attachment Preview.

Once these are off, the view should look VERY similar to the old experience.

Again please keep the feedback coming, the entire team is reviewing every submission and we are working on bringing additional improvements.

Some of these include, Density settings (this will help those that want a more compact view), updated spam/junk settings, Chat improvements, and much much more.

Thanks again for using Outlook.com!

David Los

199 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pretty much agree with your own statement. Too cluttered, too much going on.....need cleaner uncluttered look.

• Ariel Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everything is way too complicated. Split screens are the devil. You can't ever be sure of what you are looking at and half the time you need a full web page which sucks because I like using my browser only halfway open. The format is too much like the business outlook that I have on my work computer and it doesn't work within a webpage setting. Emails shouldn't be organized by date unless PROMPTED to do so. The drop down on the side with "Favorites" and the rest is redundant and unnecessary. Limited functionality all around because it's just too busy. Keep it simple the way it is now, just make it a little faster to load. That is all that needs to happen.

• kns_cns@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First, I like this version better as it is easier to see between focused and other and the junk and sweep seem to function a little better. Find trying to add or change an email is really hard. the background stuff seems to suck the energy when I'm trying to type and it is frustrating! I've had to refresh the link several times to work through this "stuckness".

• Biblioteca Dr. Manuel Rodríguez Lapuente commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second the comment and underline some of its aspects:

The beta version makes "hard for me to see and quickly analyze... what what I want to move to my folders".

And its second final petition: " Make it easier for me to move emails from my inbox to the folders I select - and when I open the drop-down menu of folders, I want to see ALL the folders, not just the ones I used most recently."

In this beta version, If I select a number of emails from the inbox in order to move them to any specific folder, I CAN NOT select a folder different from the ones appearing on a by-default list. It doesn't work.

• marciesch@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't see a list of my emails - only about 2 or 3 at a time because of so much advertising across the bottom of the screen. then can only read 2 or 3 lines at a time. My laptop is not huge. Need more reading ability without so much other stuff!!!

• satasha77 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The beta is terrible. Keep it simple! That was what was so great about the original Hotmail to begin with!

• mpkossen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You know you can select the primary domain for your account yourself, right?

• elba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

no me gusta la version beta. Quiero volver a la version anterior que me resulta mas funcional.

The inbox is too cluttered with the unnecessary "this month" "this week" headings. The coloured circles on the left are pointless and just add to clutter, preffered the more simplistic look of the old design, it was easy to read.

• L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate the Beta - everything about it. I don't like the way it looks - too cluttered, making it hard for me to see and quickly analyze what's in my inbox, what I want to keep in the inbox, what I want to move to my folders - and what I want to delete. It looks like it was designed for children or adults with dementia.
    I also don't like the way all the emails in the inbox are on one side, with a large reading pane taking up too much space.
    It's also FAR less functional for me - I like to move and organize my emails - decide what's junk, what to allow, and what to block - and you already made all this more difficult the last time you "updated" my Hotmail - which I never asked for.
    I have NO TIME to have to adjust to a whole new design I didn't ask for and figure out where everything is and how to use the functions.
    I'm not at all surprised to see thousands of fellow outlook.com/Hotmail users feel the same way.
    So when will you get the message? We the consumers hate the Beta - scrap it.
    Please keep my Hotmail the way it is! The only improvements I ask for are:
    1) Change the domain name so that my email address is @Outlook.com instead of @hotmail.com
    2) Make it easier for me to move emails from my inbox to the folders I select - and when I open the drop-down menu of folders, I want to see ALL the folders, not just the ones I used most recently.

• Russ Anderau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Way to Cluttered can't see as many emails in the inbox to many colors distracting the eye. I don't like it

The inbox on my iPhone practically looks like a completely different inbox than the Outlook one. The unread emails on my phone are nowhere to be seen, and read emails too. This is very, very cluttered and poor. Looks and feels like I just do not want to use it. Just so **** unfriendly. Not even close to a good email client I'm sorry to say.

It's terrible. Too cluttered and needs more clicks to read the emails. More complicated and time consuming. Screen cluttered. Keep it simple

• Lynne Cirner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to be able to turn off clutter find if I delete an email as I am not interested in it for a few days it ends up in clutter then I miss things I wanted to see so waste my time looking through clutter to find stuff it would be faster to just have it in my inbox an I choose to delete or not

Priorise hierarchization of information and it's utility. Why is the space given to the sections (inbox, outbox, etc) taking almost 1 third of the screen? Do i really need to waste all that space to know all the way through in what section i am ? I only need that info at the very first step of reading my emails.

What about readability rules for the emails and their preview, you can't read a full line to understand the subject of the email, there's not enough words displayed and the column is too tight.

Overall it really feels cluttered and we don't know where to look at and keep focus. Keep it simple as it was it's much better... You don't need to change the layout just for changing the layout, is there a UX design team?

By the way you shouldn't ask to create a password to answer this, this almost prevented me from giving you my opinion. I think only the email is important so you can reach out to that person in particular if you need to. And it asks you to go on a new page to create an account, then it doesn't update on the actual review, so you have to write a new one all over again on a new page. Think about these details it's important for your information collect. Thanks and keep it up !

The new Outlook.com: Chat

Feedback and Knowledge Base