OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Make it less cluttered

I didnt like it. I don't like how much more difficult this is getting to navigate and cluttered it is. I miss hotmail. Simple. Effective. You can see the emails, organize them, get to them. Same with your contacts thats ALL that an email service is supposed to do, all that we need it to do.

1,705 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

tiggy_tigger45@hotmail.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off the following: Conversation View, Reading Pane (set to Hide), Sender Image (these are the colored initial circles), Group by Date (these are the date headers in the message list), and finally Attachment Preview.

Once these are off, the view should look VERY similar to the old experience.

Again please keep the feedback coming, the entire team is reviewing every submission and we are working on bringing additional improvements.

Some of these include, Density settings (this will help those that want a more compact view), updated spam/junk settings, Chat improvements, and much much more.

Thanks again for using Outlook.com!

David Los

199 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • sandra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you have thousands of emails, you wanna be able to browse through the headlines/subjects quickly ! That version is made for people getting 3 emails a day, not multiple dozens. I sure prefer the old version a million times more !

• Isabel Valero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Awful indeed.

Someone commented down there that all that stuff seems to suck all the energy of the computer... and honestly, I feel pretty much the same, for all that cluttered narrow space is sucking my own energy.
    The designers didn't pick up that principle for good design that reads 'less is more.' (Please, call for someone from Scandinavia to help out, otherwise, we'll age in no time).

And the new spaces for advertisement... Uff! No comments.

• mc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Old view is easier to use until you made it unusable today. UX is cluttered like outlook. Main reason I won't use outlook.
    Do you actually have any designers that specialize is UX/UI??????

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. It's starting to look like the Office 365 version of Mail, but it's way clunkier and difficult to navigate. Also prefer the chronological order of e-mails with most recent on top. The e-mails in the sidebar are way too large - involves too much scrolling as a result. If there are attachments on every e-mail, you can only see 4-5 e-mails. If you like to pin your e-mails, it takes up the entire screen. I'm staying on the non-beta version.

• Sabrina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And feedback is far to complicated. make it more like gmail! theres too much going and on its too difficult to see my whole inbox.

I agree, this is so cluttered that its painful to use. Won't be using it if it stays like this. Simplicity is the key here and yet this looks awful!

• nigel hore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Also you cannot double click on an email and read it.

Please take notice of this feedback otherwise I will be off to another email

So much this! I took one look and went right back to the old. There's just too much to sort through!

• Jon Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To me it's ok on an unscaled full-hd screen, but on anything lower res it is too cluttered. Email itself takes up less than half the screen width

• skeets52 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its to cluttered to busy not easy to navigate very confusing,, remember KISS ,,,Keep It Simple Stupid

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) The mouse over hover induces lag in a browser. It makes the overall UI feel meh or slow. The mouse over makes the UI feel gimmicky.

2) The individual email icons that appear during the hover clutters the UI.

3) The bold fonts in the unread email are dull. They are not sharp.

4) Absence of multiple select emails with the mouse - this is a basic feature.

5) Due to the above, too much work to delete multiple emails.

6) Click on an email and the very first button at the top changes to Delete. Its natural to expect a back button there. Delete means I accidentally click on delete when moving fast between emails.

7) I am typing this feedback on a tiny 4 line text box! :(

Best,
    Andrew Suares
    HoboTraveler.com

I agree. So much clutter. My eyes are not as good as they use to be and when I go to enlarge the print there is not enough room to enlarge.

• Wendy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also agree... way too cluttered, feel like I'm going cross eyed trying to read everything.

focused inbox doesn't work. instead of fixing it just give me back my old inbox that was less time consuming and easier to navigate.

The new Outlook.com: Chat

Feedback and Knowledge Base