OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Make it less cluttered

I didnt like it. I don't like how much more difficult this is getting to navigate and cluttered it is. I miss hotmail. Simple. Effective. You can see the emails, organize them, get to them. Same with your contacts thats ALL that an email service is supposed to do, all that we need it to do.

1,705 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

tiggy_tigger45@hotmail.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off the following: Conversation View, Reading Pane (set to Hide), Sender Image (these are the colored initial circles), Group by Date (these are the date headers in the message list), and finally Attachment Preview.

Once these are off, the view should look VERY similar to the old experience.

Again please keep the feedback coming, the entire team is reviewing every submission and we are working on bringing additional improvements.

Some of these include, Density settings (this will help those that want a more compact view), updated spam/junk settings, Chat improvements, and much much more.

Thanks again for using Outlook.com!

David Los

199 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • drcarlj@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly I think the Beta is inferior to the original. It is more cluttered, has features I will never use, and is hard to navigate. All the bells and whistles crowd out the things that I'm paying attention to. I can't imaging how that would look on my tablet or phone screens.

Hopefully I'll be able to go back to the non-beta version and it would be great if the non-beta version would be available for those that prefer simpler.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is too cluttered and complicated. The simple version more than meets my needs

The look is far too cluttered with the icons and the lines separation sections.

• DeeAnna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - Too much on the dashboard - I don't need to see all of the attachments I've sent and received with the email. The counter telling me I have five emails in the INBOX, and what it really meant is the one email that's in the inbox contains 5 replies. Confusing. TMI on the page, just list the emails like before, please!

• landry.rose@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really miss my hotmail acct.... This is getting too hard to navigate and too cluttered...Too many changes..... I'm thinking of going to gmail....

• martinvicha@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not bad on a portable device but a nightmare on a desktop. Its is cluttered, I cannot see the whole email, I find it difficult to navigate through buttons. "forward", "reply" are tiny, "send" pops up - ridiculous. Some are located on top left corner, others on bottom left or right... It is mess. Outlook has always been much more user friendly than gmail to me. Now the looks of both is similar. Boring.

• Neil Webster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For reading emails on a phone touchscreen using your finger maybe this works, but with a mouse on a desktop, this design is horrible! You have to scroll all over the place. Just want a list of emails, you click on an email, it opens, you read it. Simple! The rest of this **** is designers with too much time on their hands. I'm looking at what else is out there.

• Greg Sargent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's too cluttered and I wish my original hotmail worked in the "other" mode. I may load Office Outlook 2016.

I did not like the beta at all. Having my mail split up between 'focus' and 'others' made me lose track of my mail instead. Ads are taking up precious screen space and way too many columns for everything that I actually don't need. Getting through emails is already a chore - why make it more complicated than it needs to be?

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reverted back to none Beta. As beta is too cluttered, without treading pane I get like 30+ emails in a nice list. in beta I got have that and stupid pictures and **** everywhere.

Keep it simple and clean and that is the best way forward

Agreed. Please stop complicating this service.
    Re-posting satasha77 comment: The beta is terrible. Keep it simple! That was what was so great about the original Hotmail to begin with!

I agree 100%. One of the most user friendly, simple email services is being ruined.

The new Outlook.com: Chat

Feedback and Knowledge Base