OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Make it less cluttered

I didnt like it. I don't like how much more difficult this is getting to navigate and cluttered it is. I miss hotmail. Simple. Effective. You can see the emails, organize them, get to them. Same with your contacts thats ALL that an email service is supposed to do, all that we need it to do.

1,705 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

tiggy_tigger45@hotmail.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off the following: Conversation View, Reading Pane (set to Hide), Sender Image (these are the colored initial circles), Group by Date (these are the date headers in the message list), and finally Attachment Preview.

Once these are off, the view should look VERY similar to the old experience.

Again please keep the feedback coming, the entire team is reviewing every submission and we are working on bringing additional improvements.

Some of these include, Density settings (this will help those that want a more compact view), updated spam/junk settings, Chat improvements, and much much more.

Thanks again for using Outlook.com!

David Los

199 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • edtedwalker@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what did you do? why did you change the email format? why?????

it's so cluttered and unhelpful.

i've tried to find it but is there a way to change the view/format back in outlook online web browser? can i just view a list of emails still? is that an option? that needs to be an option.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's too much clutter. It's harder now to actually FOCUS on my emails.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, i REALLY don't like the new design, there has to be an option to go back to the old, not cluttered design?!

• KATSO228 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook beta makes the inbox very cluttered, I cannot identify which emails are read and unread. The option to switch between the original outlook and beta has been removed from this account but is present on other hotmail accounts. How can I revert back to the original outlook?

• gabriela.vila@hotmail.es commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think its too complicated. I was having a hard time finding simple things that in the previous version was very easy. It took me longer to send emails, so I am going back to the old version.

• Mark Henderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not a fan of the latest changes. I"m sure in terms of a feature list this new version is more useful, but the UI is very cluttered and inefficient. I don't enjoy using it.

f you're going to have everything in one page it can't be too cluttered. tell me the email has an attachment. i can look at it if i want.

Also; if you're going to have 1 inbox, you can't have it split into two. its making too many buttons, hard to navigate and all in all diffcult to use. the standard outlook inbox OR the standard hotmail inbox are fine at the moment

• Kaitlyn Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is too complicated. I think you guys are best just keeping it to the old one as everyone is complaining and everyone wanted you's to keep emails simple, especially for a business whereas the person wouldn't be able to meet their deadlines as they had to look about the outlook beta trying to find the one thing. So it is best you read these feedbacks and keep it changed to the old outlook :)

I appreciate the new design, but it's just too much stress on the eyes. Extremely cluttered. My opinion don't change the theme too much. If it ain't broke...

• Monika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not like the clutter of it all! Please just make it simple not confusing with all sub titles and sections

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too "busy". Way too much, overwhelming to look at. I don't even want to spend any time at all delving into any of the settings. I mush prefer the simpler and much cleaner interface of the older version. If this beta goes mainstream and I'm forced to use it, I will not.

• jhi29@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been using beta for a few months now, and I'm still having trouble adjusting to functionality that has changed. It also feels more visually cluttered, so I am overlooking emails. I'm returning to the original version for the time being.

Terrible. completely cluttered, hard to navigate. Even just reading a new email is a challenge. Bad bad bad.

• loganh-m@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do not like the new layout, tomuch info and very little space to see. Have to scroll forever to reach bottom. no longer shows means to block selected emails only can delete then.

• Vindra Khanai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I switched back because of the large "Ad Choice" bar that appeared on the side of the window, taking up screen space and shrinking down the size of my reading pane. Also why do I need those large colorful icons with people's initials when I could just see their name and not have that unnecessary colorful distracting interface in the old version. I lasted less that 1 min on this "new" beta, again.

• Chris Gilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook is getting so cluttered with the ad panel and three other boxes, I'm thinking of dumping it. Too many clicks just to read a message without horizontal scrolling.

The new Outlook.com: Chat

Feedback and Knowledge Base