OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Make it less cluttered

I didnt like it. I don't like how much more difficult this is getting to navigate and cluttered it is. I miss hotmail. Simple. Effective. You can see the emails, organize them, get to them. Same with your contacts thats ALL that an email service is supposed to do, all that we need it to do.

1,705 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

tiggy_tigger45@hotmail.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off the following: Conversation View, Reading Pane (set to Hide), Sender Image (these are the colored initial circles), Group by Date (these are the date headers in the message list), and finally Attachment Preview.

Once these are off, the view should look VERY similar to the old experience.

Again please keep the feedback coming, the entire team is reviewing every submission and we are working on bringing additional improvements.

Some of these include, Density settings (this will help those that want a more compact view), updated spam/junk settings, Chat improvements, and much much more.

Thanks again for using Outlook.com!

David Los

199 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • HollywoodRML commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WAIT, now there are new settings changes. You can "open" a Word document anymore. You are forced to work on One Drive or preview only.

PLEASE STOP THIS MADNESS.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. The new system is infuriating and slow. I understand you want be helpful but just stop trying to take control of everything. At least listen to the user when they say I want to do this manually instead of just carrying on regardless and trying to use the wrong details

• Des Plaines Toastmasters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be helpful for us oldsters who are Users, rather than Techies who can figure things out for themselves, to have some kind of User Manual type of instructions for how to configure older Hotmail and MSN or newer Outlook accounts now sharing the Outlook platform. I "learned" how to setup and configure Facebook by looking through setup categories at a list of topics which open with a page of instructions on how to setup each option. (I copied the ones I use most often into Word docs). I am referring to Facebook's QuickHelp option with categories of "How do I do that" questions that open with instructions. Outlook's "Quick Help" section could add a link to this User Voice page so users can easily post their views in addition to a Problems Reporting link (for obvious snafus). Do we have to wait for a DUMMY series book to be published on how to use Outlook, or is there one already written? (Thanks to Kevin M of Tech Support for suggesting I post here.)

• Des Plaines Toastmasters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too don't like the new display format and miss the old format! (I have several Hotmail and one MSN accounts displaying in Beta now and I find it confusing.) I much preferred the single line for messages too, but I think one can restore that in Settings by unclicking the defaults. My biggest beef is that the list of folders is hidden in the "Left Pane" that has to be opened manually (using the "3-line" symbol) every time I start those of my hotmail accounts that open in Beta. It would be better if I can decide in the SETTINGS whether I want want to configure my Left Pane to display every time I open my account, but can still Toggle it closed if desired), rather than have to Toggle open every time I open a Hotmail account that is now in Beta.

• Max Shvedov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new outlook is awful. It's slow and hard to navigate. I wonder why so many people have to be forced to waste their time trying to work out if this new version is useable at all.

• wlrsr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate going thru the process of changing my email address, but if we aren't going to be able to switch back soon, I will be GONE!!!!

How can we go back to the old format of seeing our email one line at a time instead of each email in a box. When one is in their 80's it is hard to adjust to so many changes.
    Please go back to the old format!!!!!!!!!!

I hate the new version. I was also switched to the beta version with no choice to switch back. Why change things for the worse? New outlook is awful! I want to go back to CLASSIC! The new email is horrible

• ilstephenson@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was also switched to the beta version with no permission and can not switch back. I hate the new version. I can not scroll down to read my mail or delete items without it throwing me back to the top so have not been able to read my emails. Awful setup.

• melo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DETESTO esta nova versão do plataforma Outlook.com. PRECISAMOS DA ANTIGA PLATAFORMA CLÁSSICA DO Outlook. NÃO PODEMOS SER FORÇADOS A MUDAR ISTO DEVERIA SER UMA OPÇÃO AOS USUÁRIOS E QUEM QUISESSE QUE ADERISSE A ESTA NOVA PLATAFORMA, EU QUERO O CLÁSSICO DE VOLTA CHEGA DE SAIR POR AI FAZENDO O QUE QUEREM, RESPEITEM NOSSA OPINIÃO!!!!!!! INSASTIFEITA

• Elizabeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was switched without my permission to the beta version. I do not have the toggle switch to go back to the old version. I have tried a couple of other suggestions from the Help page but nothing works. I to go back to the classic Outlook. Please someone tell me how!!!!

I do NOT like the new beta format for Outlook! Previous emails are hard to find, it takes several clicks to delete one email, and clicking on one email, then shift + another to highlight/delete several at once will not work like it did in classic. Slow to open a message. My folders on the side are not all there. I got a message that I can still select a message from the missing folder! Like I know what those messages were all called! PLEASE go back to Outlook classic. It was working fine and so much better than beta.

• bennvandy@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your new display for outlook is a jumbled mess. I have been a hotmail user for over 20 years. This new display is horrible, its disjointed, its hard to sift through old emails and i will be changing servers if this is the future.
    Totally frustrating.

• angelosir@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sender and subject is good enough for the inbox screen - don't need to see message and attachments too - the inbox screen area is now too crowded and confusing !

• kjteddy3@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This new layout is so busy. I much prefer the clean lines and minimal colors of the previous look. The current one makes me not want to check my email. I am looking to get a new account with another provider.

• hbungert@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems people cannot read messages with out all the logo "junk" in front of message. Too much "junk". Clean it up please.

The new Outlook.com: Chat

Feedback and Knowledge Base