OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Make it less cluttered

I didnt like it. I don't like how much more difficult this is getting to navigate and cluttered it is. I miss hotmail. Simple. Effective. You can see the emails, organize them, get to them. Same with your contacts thats ALL that an email service is supposed to do, all that we need it to do.

1,705 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

tiggy_tigger45@hotmail.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off the following: Conversation View, Reading Pane (set to Hide), Sender Image (these are the colored initial circles), Group by Date (these are the date headers in the message list), and finally Attachment Preview.

Once these are off, the view should look VERY similar to the old experience.

Again please keep the feedback coming, the entire team is reviewing every submission and we are working on bringing additional improvements.

Some of these include, Density settings (this will help those that want a more compact view), updated spam/junk settings, Chat improvements, and much much more.

Thanks again for using Outlook.com!

David Los

199 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I liked the previous version better, no 'focussed' folder and it also displayed 2 email accounts. Seems to be getting way too complicated to check my emails....

• steph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It might help to make the fonts a bit smaller because when my view is at 100% it looks cluttered and disorganized- the two left columns are almost the same size as the message pane. At 80% it looks simpler.

I'm not sure what you people were thinking but the old Outlook was fine as it was. This new version is cluttered, messy, and disorganized, and makes it difficult to find anything. Please don't make changes just for the sake of making changes and making sure you are doing something to earn your salary. LEAVE IT ALONE!

The marginal benefit of being able to see all your emails at once while also reading them is grossly outweighed by the disorganised mess of an inbox it makes. It is more difficult to quickly scan the list of emails you have been sent to choose what you want to do with them; and it is also less easy to read the emails themselves. Other email services have managed to streamline the two- this beta version has not, and this set-up is only useful for busy people at work anyway.
    The email list and email content should be separated.

• Seb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too cluttered, and there should be the option not to see the attachments to each email when looking at 'all emails' in the inbox. I like my inbox without the viewing pane and when I turned it off I still couldn't see as many emails without scrolling, which was a minor inconvenience. Dividing by time (eg today, last week) should be an option but not default

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This new beta is way too cluttered and complicated. Why would I have to search for a folder to put an email into???? I'm into simplicity and minimalism. Switching back--for now.

• Nitin Nair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the new version is more cluttered. I don't need to see my attachments and images in the mail on the inbox page. would rather like to open the mail and view all these itmes. Keep it simple. I like it more. The older version is much better to use. rather introduce short cuts for different functionalities.

• Dick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't see as many new messages, as I can with the old hotmail/outlook. I don't care about all the colored circles, with letters in them - they're just clutter. I like things simple. It was even difficult, to figure out how to give this feedback, as this box didn't readily pop up

I can't even post this idea - it wants a title, and I have no where to put one. Why do you make thing so complicated???

• Cesar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The moment I saw the new look... Everything is too big and feels cluttered!

If this new look is going to, then resize a lot of things and remove the quick icon whatever its called from the side.

Calendar, People, Photos, and Task have no place to be in there. We already have a better version of it which is in the current version and still in beta--the small squares are the best place for that. Replace those in the same spot with Inbox, Draft, Archive, Junk Email, and so on. Use their icons, and if a mouse is placed in there have the whole icon section expand (like pulling something to reveal the rest) to have the name revealed for those who aren't familiar with icons. If the user wishes they can draw the taskbard to show the name and make the icons a little bigger. Also give the option to move the taskbard left, right, up, and down.

"Select an Item to read." Remove that if no item is not selected to read. Have that section appeared if someone clicks an email to view it. Have the option to completely remove that, and when the user wants to go back, highlight and centered (if the email needs to scroll down, have it already scrolled down instead of the user scrolling down to find where it was) the email they opened.

Dividing emails by dates. Center the text. Box size is good. Have the option to change the color of the box make it more recognizable or change the text font.

Emails. ONLY PREVIEW images if the email is opened, just have image icon to indicate that there is an image in this email or give us the option if we want images to be previewed like in the beta version. Text size is good, but give us the option to make it smaller or bigger. When small, only show Senders name and subject of the email, when the mouse is placed in that email for a few seconds, expand that box a little to show part of the message

• martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The panels are too vertical. It's more complicated than before. Keep email simple. No need to repeat Inbox twice on the left. The simpler, the better.

• Alexandria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel this version is very cluttered. The reason I still access my email through the web, rather than the phone app (which is same format as the beta) is simply for ease of access. Having all my emails in a list format, i can easily pick out what is junk and what is not. I can quickly make selections to delete unnecessary items without having to scroll down endlessly. With this new layout, I feel like I have less space to read, and less space to see what I'm working with. I feel like I will end up missing important emails because of the distracting vibrant colours along with the emails.

I appricate the fact that a new layout is being introduced, But i think it needs to stick with a more basic professional look.

All the drop down replies, the vertical boxes and trying to keep track of what goes where is too confusing. It took me a few minutes to figure out where the reply and then the send buttons were. I didn't like having the several boxes open at a time on the Inbox page because you aren't sure where to be looking and what exactly you're looking at at any given time. Didn't like the Beta! I'm going back to the original. Why mess with a good thing???

It's too cluttered and is taking too long to load avoid colours because its making it seem too clustered and an eye sore keeping it simple and easy is best

• carolyn prouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

keep email closed unless you know sender, as soon as you open it you are being watched

Too much clutter!!

I personally think that the beta looks a lot like a social media page would. All of the vertical panels and previews of attachments take up way too much space, and can make it difficult to scroll through emails when looking for a certain way. There are also a lot of tabs! The organization of today, yesterday, etc. is a lot and seems unnecessary and adds more clutter to the page. While we're on the subject, focused vs. other, while a great idea, could use some work. Some important emails end up in other and I don't see them right away! Thus, the separation becomes almost obsolete because I have to check both to make sure I don't miss anything important. If the categories and tabs were meaningful and had purpose, I think that would be great and could help with organization. But it should also be optional for those of us who prefer to have everything in front of them so they can look at everything all at once instead of switching between useless tabs that serve as clutter.

Left computer and returned 5 minutes later, my page view had changed. I don't like it, too cluttered. How to change back???

• V. Nyren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer to see more e-mail subjects in my lnbox list at first glance as it was before. (I don't like to have many vertical panels as it clutters and steals space without adding value. I prefer to click my e-mails to read them.

I also don't think the focused/other categories work, since a e-mail with multiple replies can end up on both sides, making it hard to follow a discussion..

• garybong11@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it is too complicated. I would prefer the idea of keep it simple and plain. The BETA version seems to display too much and unnecessary. Please make it much easy to comprehend so that we don't need to learn to use it over and over again.

1 2 6 7 8 10 Next →

The new Outlook.com: Chat

Feedback and Knowledge Base