OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

New experiences in Outlook.com

Make it less cluttered

I didnt like it. I don't like how much more difficult this is getting to navigate and cluttered it is. I miss hotmail. Simple. Effective. You can see the emails, organize them, get to them. Same with your contacts thats ALL that an email service is supposed to do, all that we need it to do.

1,705 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

tiggy_tigger45@hotmail.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off the following: Conversation View, Reading Pane (set to Hide), Sender Image (these are the colored initial circles), Group by Date (these are the date headers in the message list), and finally Attachment Preview.

Once these are off, the view should look VERY similar to the old experience.

Again please keep the feedback coming, the entire team is reviewing every submission and we are working on bringing additional improvements.

Some of these include, Density settings (this will help those that want a more compact view), updated spam/junk settings, Chat improvements, and much much more.

Thanks again for using Outlook.com!

David Los

197 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • russ.haley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've recently started using my outlook email address more and honestly the interface is terrible. There is too much white space and not enough content on the screen. I'm trying to use this on a laptop and I feel cramped. I can only get a few lines of text and a handful of message titles. Not good.

• M. D. P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if i need help with my mail, it means it's gone useless pointless illogic stupid and much more
        get it!!!!!

• Rich Chaddock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What was simple is now a mess, to much clutter. I tried removing all the other stuff that was proposed by the admin, it still is a mess. Outlook was the best now it is the worst. Why cannot people leave things alone. If if aint broke dont fix it!

• Karin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hate this new outlook, why separate my emails by date to much clutter, and all these HO AC JL alphabet order , crazy idea .. will cancel and go to Bell Net ..

• Holly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New Layout is unprofessional and visually loud. If I wanted to be assaulted with so much nonsense color I'd ask someone to throw a fistful of M&Ms at my face while someone else holds my eyeballs open.

This new Willy Wonka layout is the height of unprofessionalism. It seems like every time you folks make "improvements" it just gets worse.

• gruberterri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is totally junked up. I've used hotmail since 2001. If this is the end of it, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! Take away all the clutter.

• andrea_down commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really don't need my inbox cluttered with headers of e-mails I've gotten with "Today", "Yesterday" "This month" and "Older". If my e-mails are organised by date as they always are, I can see what I've gotten today, or yesterday, or this month. I only keep a few actively important e-mails in my inbox, so it's ridiculous that four e-mails could take up the screen space of eight. It makes all folders more cluttered than they need to be with extra information we already have.
        Please at least add the option to turn these headers off; or if there is one make it easier to find. You could also make it so when we choose a different sorting option, it doesn't change back to Date sorting when we leave the folder.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow this new format sucks!! Really is this the computer geeks trying to impress us all? It is to cluttered and to much **** to look at.

• J Michael Leather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like a car engine If it is working well then leave alone
        Why introduce unwanted **** ?
        please leave as it used to be when everyone was happy
        If you have nothing better to do then take up fishing

• Pneen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's still no way turn off auto advance in the new Outlook. I've set the reading pane to the right but the option "Return to the message list" is greyed out for "What do you want to happen when you move or delete the item you are viewing?".

Why is it still called a beta when you put people on it without their consent and don't let them switch back?

Why is it that the icons in the editor are different to the new Office 365 icons? Speaking of the editor, just look how much wasted space there is and what is hidden in the dropdown!

WE WANT FEATURE PARITY BETWEEN OLD AND NEW OUTLOOK. And PLEASE make the new Outlook more "responsive" (in the way that it resizes properly and does NOT ask us to get the app). Set an example, Microsoft. You are a huge tech company with so many resources.

Ever since my account got switched to the new Outlook I couldn't move selected items and any future messages from a sender/folder to a folder until recently. That is unacceptable. I generally like the new Outlook but it has taken way too long to get to this stage.

Although most people would agree that more simple is more better when you need only email service, i do want to comment that a few features are good- I do like the dark screen mode for late night use, and figure it promotes a better sleep.
        A great many people will become accustomed to the new features over time; its just a big question of how much time? and how much efficiency is lost during the transition. The last big changeover from the 2012 Live platform has left me with some lost data and abilities that I may never find.
        Perhaps a set of gradient levels of email service- a user could start at the simplest platform and then at their own discretion graduate to a more expanded level, or two levels. My needs are so basic that a very simple level of emails and some folders to move them to, print, and reply, would be all that is really needed.

• Gemma Roelofs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear David Los, you all do not want to understand us, isn,t? We all want to have our old, very good working outlook back! What you find as improvement, we do not. As simple as that. When we want such things as you find improvement, we will go elsewhere. And, when you reply, please do not treat us as 4 year olds......
        Gemma Roelofs

Thanks for your reply, David. Like most people who have found that the functionality of their email account has been severely reduced by this "update", I took all of the measures you suggest there within minutes of being forced to use this version. It doesn't in fact look very similar, as you assert. I don't know exactly because I can't compare it to the previous version (having no access to it) but my estimate is that I can see at least 6-8 fewer emails at a glance, perhaps more. I like to keep unaddressed issues pinned at the top as an organisational tool. However, these days, that means I have to scroll down past them to access unopened mail. It's such a pain - a little thing that adds time and frustration to my working day many, many, many, many times each day. I wish this point was given greater thought by you and your team because, with each update, I have found fewer emails are available at a glance each time. It would be great if you could fully take on board that this is an important function for your customers because, currently, it feels as though this consideration has been totally disregarded.

• sue e commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

new beta upgrade is ****. cluttered and can not change back to classic

I totally agree with the above comment the last set up was bad enough but I had a choice to return to the old Hotmail which I did. Why must you update if it "aint broke don't fix it" PLEASE let me change back so that I can see sent mails , deleted mails and the layout page is the same with the old headings. It may be ok for all the younger users who understand computers but I am an elderly user who has just managed to understand how to contact my family who live abroad.

• HollywoodRML commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WAIT, now there are new settings changes. You can "open" a Word document anymore. You are forced to work on One Drive or preview only.

PLEASE STOP THIS MADNESS.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

New experiences in Outlook.com: Chat

Feedback and Knowledge Base