OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Inbox Rules need to allow for all kinds of triggers and actions

Example: Mail rules currently cannot forward mail.

I need to be able to do more than move to a folder.

3,732 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thante Luedeesunut shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminOWA 3S Query Feedback (Admin, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that we’ve released an update for inbox rules that allow for all sorts of combinations in settings.

To create an advanced rule, either:
1) Right-click on an email
2) Click “Create rule”
3) Click “More options”
4) Create away!

OR

1) Click the settings gear icon in the top right
2) Click “View full settings”
3) Click “Rules”
4) Click “Add new rule”
5) Create away!

304 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • right.lane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We all seem to agree that Outlook.com's new email program doesn't meet even the minimum basic requirements for a modern email program. I used to use inbox.com and it was the absolute BEST. I would still be using inbox.com if they hadn't started messing with the cost. Inbox.com pulled some really dirt tricks in the past couple of years. Anyway, what good alternative is there to Outlook.com. What allows a healthy number of connected accounts, good spam filtering with a manageable whitelist/blacklist feature, and rules that actually work to allow filtering? If inbox.com can do it, surely there must be others.

• Pat Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Prioritize this, it's literally been 3 months. I'm sick of having to dig through my junk mail to find several emails that were marked as junk, even though I continuously move them out, and other mail from the same senders don't get tagged. I'm also sick of seeing mail that has been filtered by rules I set in the non-beta version show up in my inbox. Seriously, function over form.

• Oliver Sahr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want t have the categories back and also the possibility to set categories via rules!

Makes mail management much easier when I can defile rules like:
    When I receive an email from "MicrosoftAnswers@microsoft.com" then apply the category "Forum".

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can now right click on an email and create a rule based on the email address. But other than that there's no way to refine rules or create anything more complicated that "from this sender". The rules menu only has the ability to toggle them on or off or delete rules.

Someone shared the following comment about sorting mail in folders
    That same comment repeated below in quotesapplies to rules and in particular bringing back the rule to filter by sender's name:

"Seriously, this is a basic part of any email platform. For you to have gotten this far without including it is ridiculous, and I would seriously hope someone has lost their job over it. You should be embarrassed."

You should be embarrassed to have removed the rule to sort by sender's name which is industry standard.

• Oliver Sahr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the very old layout of Outlook.com (about one year ago) I created some rules (like "when an email arrives from [sender] mark it with the category "Newsletter").
    These rules worked for all accounts (also for accounts that were connected to Outlook.com).

Then you switched to the new layout (about one year ago) and these rules only worked for mails that were sent to my outlook.com mail address.
    My main mail address is at my domain (I have an own domain) so 99% of my mails are no longer analyzed by the rules.
    Please bring back the rules and filter all connected accounts.

Thought I had lost my mind looking for the removed files. Glad to hear they are coming back.

??? Why were they removed in the first place?

I would like to see a new rule. How to turn off Beta permanently.
    It is terrible, It is unresponsive. It is slower than a dinosaur dial -up. It doesn't work. It is confusing and annoying. It should follow human logic and you shouldn't need a complicated instruction book to use it.
    Gary

• Saskia Wells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree. Not having this very basic functionality is driving me nuts. In terms of smooth functionality and ease of use, the beta feels like going back to a really awesome-looking version of e-mail in the 1990s. Going back to the previous iteration of Outlook.com now.

• jasonfitt@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...and when you do add rules, add the option to red flag an email. With the regular email (non beta), you can't create a rule to flag something. It only lets you pin the email. Unfortunately, the outlook mobile app only lets you filter by flagged emails, and it doesn't show pinned emails. So, the mobile app doesn't help with regards to rules I create.

• JD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The workaround you propose is cumbersome and omits rules to filter email by sender's name, which is an absolute necessity for many of us to have an organized, clean mailbox.
    Thank you.

• JD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Industry standard is to offer rules to filter email by sender's name and sender's name contains.

Outlook.com removed this absolutely necessary, industry standard, when forcing users to migrate from outlook.com version 1 to outlook.com version 2, the current version.

To avoid being substandard and to allow users to have an organized inbox, Outlook.com must bring back the rule to allow filtering by sender's name and sender's name contain contains!!!!!!!! And allow our rules from outlook.com version 1 to work in the new version!!!!

Of note, your competitors have not forced users to migrate to new versions. They have allowed users to use their legacy versions. Users should have been allowed to stay with the version they signed up for.

As other users noted, bring back rules to filter by sender's name or sender's name contains is a deal breaker!!!!!!!!!

Along with the rules , add a sound that goes along with it. example: You are a first responder and you are sleeping and if you get an emergency email and you have rules activated or just being able to activate a loud sound to wake you up.

• Marianne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some versions ago it was easy to sort existing mail, all rules nowadays only assert future incoming messages.

• CJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RULES TO FILTER INCOMING EMAILS BY SENDER's NAME (OR SENDER'S NAME CONTAINS) IS AN ABSOLUTE NECESSITY.

Please confirm you are including this absolutely necessary rule.

I have always used "create rule" to organize my stuff, even though it was clunky and inconsistent and disobeyed my rules. Now it seems to be GONE. I'd rather have a poorly functioning version than none at all.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base