OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Inbox Rules need to allow for all kinds of triggers and actions

Example: Mail rules currently cannot forward mail.

I need to be able to do more than move to a folder.

3,732 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thante Luedeesunut shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminOWA 3S Query Feedback (Admin, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that we’ve released an update for inbox rules that allow for all sorts of combinations in settings.

To create an advanced rule, either:
1) Right-click on an email
2) Click “Create rule”
3) Click “More options”
4) Create away!

OR

1) Click the settings gear icon in the top right
2) Click “View full settings”
3) Click “Rules”
4) Click “Add new rule”
5) Create away!

304 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dr. Armin Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules are really very important.

@OLLI_S
    Some nice suggestions that you posted!
    I really hope Microsoft implements them.

• Oliver Sahr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I add a rule (via right-clicking on an email) let me not only choose the target folder.
    Please let me also specify/change the name of the rule.
    At the moment I have to deactivate the beta, go to settings and then on the rules menu.
    This saves many unnecessary mouse clicks and enhances the usability.

Please add a button that can be used to sort the rules alphabetically.
    I know that the order of the rules is important (I can specify two different actions for the same mail address using the order of the rules).
    But such a button would be handy.

Please let me backup/restore the rules.
    This let's me sleep much better (if I have a local backup).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really, how can you release a beta version without having the "Rules" functionality fully working. I can only create rules to move emails to a specific folder and that's it. It's 2017 right...?

• JG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Missing "Rules" functionality that need to be brought back/implemented:

1. Ability to create rules in sub-folders (not just in Inbox)

2. Ability to create more time-sensitive rules option (ie. delete after 30 days, delete after 60 days, etc.)

3. Condition Flexibility (ie. ...unless the email is flagged with "keep")

• Penny Milam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My rules stopped working in Sept. they have always worked well until then and all of a sudden just stopped.please help

I'm not sure how to write this rule can someone help?

Basically here's whats going on.
    Customer emails email address #1
    Email address #1 then redirects the email to Email address #2.
    Email address #2 has an auto reply; that auto reply needs to go to the customer, not email address #1.

That "auto reply" is actually a mail undeliverable message so it's not making it back to the customer that their mail wasn't deliverable unfortunatlely.

Any thoughts, thanks!

• Richard DeHaven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please prioritize these updates.

The current implementation should not have met a MVP...

- 'Create Rule' after right-click only filters all messages 'From' the recipient.
    - The only 'Rule management' option is enabling/disabling or deleting rules.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beta needs EASY to FIND rules EDITING and creation
    It only has on/off option. The new right click to create rule option MAY be ok but you need to make it EASY to edit existing rules

I have relied on the rules in outlook.com to sort my email into specific folders and marking some read and others urgent. Right now that ability to modify the rules is not there. Adding the ability to set a rule to move a specific sender to a folder is not good enough. Beta is Beta and in my world it is Pre-Alpha right now with the rules not working as they should.

I am using Outlook.com (in the web browser) as my primary mail client.
    Although I have Office 365 I don't use the Outlook app in Office 365.

I recognized that the filters in the Outlook.com beta are not working with external accounts that I have connected in Outlook.com.
    Only mails that are sent to my email-address ending with @outlook.com are filtered.

Please filter all mails in Outlook.com!

• Don Curry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook.com's lack of support for a full-featured email program that includes a comprehensive "Rules" function is egregious and ridiculous! Every time I buy a new computer (which is often) I pay hundreds of dollars for MS Office so that I can have, among other things, the very capable Outlook email program with its world-class Rules function. So MS knows how to do Rules. Why it doesn't choose to provide the functionality in its Outlook.com email program is inexplicable. However, I can tell you that I will be looking for open-source versions of all the "Office" functions next time I buy a computer. I find MS's treatment of this whole Rules issue to be indicative of a company that has lost touch with its customer base and couldn't care less.

I played a bit with the rules feature and here is some feedback:

Please allow me to rename a rule (change the title).
    If I add a rule for mails sent by the Outlook.com Suggestions page (no-reply@outlook.uservoice.com) then Outlook creates a rule with the following title:
    Move all mails from "Outlook.com" into the folder "Forum".
    I would like to rename it to "Outlook.com Suggestions".
    This is the case for all my rules.

Please allow me to modify a existing rule.
    I created some rules to move mails to a specific folder but now I want to change select an other folder as target.
    At the moment I have to delete the rule and create a new one.

Add a search field in the rules.
    While I am typing I see rules that apply the search criteria.
    Also allow to search for an email address.

It is possible to add the same rule multiple times (right click on an email, select o create a rule and move it to a specific folder).
    Show a message if a user wants to create a second rule for the same sender and with the same action (like "Move to folder").

Global Switch
    Add a global switch to turn on / turn off all rules.

Apply rules
    Add a way to apply all rules to the current folder.
    So when I created a rule and have some mails that match the criteria, then I want execute the rule so all mails are moved to the target folder.

Rules counter
    Show how many rules I have in my list.

Regards

OLLI

• Justin Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a way to modify the sender after clicking on it? Would it be possible to see all the messages from the sender to adjust the filter before creating it (as with gmail)?

• Todd Burgess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add rules that are multi-step. I would also like to apply rules to existing messages.

• Susie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will the rules that were created in the first version of Outlook.com filtering by sender's name work? We should not have to create new rules.
    The rules to filter by sender's name was glaringly omitted in version two of outlook.com ( the current version) and in the beta version before the fix. We want to be sure our established rules will carry forward.
    Thank you.

@Philip at Outlook
    It is great that you are working on the rules, thank you for the status update.

In the older (currently productive) version of Outlook.com you had "Categories".
    There were also pre-defined categories like "Newsletter".
    And some of my incoming mails were automatically categorized as "Newsletter".

What are your plans for the current beta?
    Should we create folders (like "Inbox\Newsletters) and create filters that sort the mails into that folders?
    Or do you plan to bring the categories back?

Best regards

OLLI

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base