OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Inbox Rules need to allow for all kinds of triggers and actions

Example: Mail rules currently cannot forward mail.

I need to be able to do more than move to a folder.

3,732 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thante Luedeesunut shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminOWA 3S Query Feedback (Admin, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that we’ve released an update for inbox rules that allow for all sorts of combinations in settings.

To create an advanced rule, either:
1) Right-click on an email
2) Click “Create rule”
3) Click “More options”
4) Create away!

OR

1) Click the settings gear icon in the top right
2) Click “View full settings”
3) Click “Rules”
4) Click “Add new rule”
5) Create away!

304 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

tenho pouca experiência por essa razão perdi a minha caixa de correio electrónico precizo de ajuda para o recuperar, obrigado.

• Oliver Sahr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add a button to sort the rules in alphabetical order.
    I have many rules and this would really help me a lot (no more manual sorting).

When the user clicks this button a warning should be shown, that the rules are executed in the order they are shown, so sorting alphabetically changes the order the rules are executed.

I also have some (4 to 5) rules where the order is important.
    But here I can change the name so the position (and the execution order) is correct again.

Changing the order of the rules in the current beta is not very user friendly (I work in Software-Ergonomics, Usability, UX and Accessibility).

In the old (none beta) version I select a rule and the "move down" button is always at the same position.
    So I click it several times until the rule is in the correct (alphabetically sorted) position.

In the current beta, I click the down button, and the entry moves down on place. Then I have to move the mouse down to the new position of the same button and click it again. Also scrolling is needed.

This is really much more work and not very user friendly.
    So please work this concept over, it saves us user many unnecessary steps.

A search in the rules is really needed (especially when you have many rules). While typing the search criteria only those rules should be shown, that match the criteria.
    Search in rules name but also in the conditions, so I can also enter an email address and get all rules shown, that handle this address.

I've got 4000 messages in my Inbox - a mess. So I thought, "time to clean it up". I've just created various subfolders so that I can move everything from a specfic address (like "newsletter@something.com") to it appropriate subfolder ("something.com"). But Outlook (& Mail app) lets me down, can't even complete this simple task.
    1) I can select a message from "newsletter@something.com" and then Move it, to the appropriate folder. But there's no additional option "move all existing like this", meaning I'm going to have to do something else if I want to move all existing matches to this subfolder.
    2) I can do a Search for "newsletter@something.com" and I can select all messages by the "All results" header (which annoying may be offscreen due to a stupid "Top Results" header and (arbitrary random) messages above it). I click the first, I hold SHIFT and click the last to select them all. I choose "Move" so I can select the folder. But my newly created folder ISN'T VISIBLE in the dropdown list! I discover I have to click "All folders" and then choose it. Awful UI design. Next, I select the subfolder and everything should be moved. But when I think about what I've just done, I realize that the matching messages didn't go far enough back in time, and I suspect only a limited number of matches were displayed. So I decide to check. With Inbox selected on the left, I perform a search again. What happens? ALL THE MESSAGES ARE FOUND AGAIN. I repeat the whole "Move" procedure. Rinse and repeat, seems Search ignores subfolders and treats everything as one, so there's no way to identify matching messages that may need to be moved/ no way to confirm that my move was successful.

• Maria Inês Cazarini Bueno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quero meu e-mail de volta na versão anterior.
    Está muito difícil para eu entender. Não consegui abrir anexos.
    Praticamente, não tem como usar esta droga.
    Minha página está apresentando e-mail de 2017, quando eu nem pedi, quero voltar aos de hoje e não consigo....

I cannot think of a single positive thing to say about the beta. Every negative comment is something I agree with. How many negative comments will it take to get action? The last update/change several months ago was bad enough. There were no page breaks or way to search for emails from a certain date, not to mention the system deciding for you what was focused or other. I could not find any way to tell the system to remove a specific sender from other to focused,

• Vera Madril commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to move all my messages at the same time just like the old version. Please bring this back. Also, is there a way to group emails by conversation?

• Susie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did not know it was possible to make such a bad email experience.
    The rule for filtering incoming mail are abysmal. Why don't you just copy Gmail and make the rules acceptable and the rest of the interface acceptable.
    Outlook.com has gone from acceptable to bad to entirely unacceptable with its iterations.
    Mr. Limont should be fired.

In rules I can pin messages to top.
    Unfortunately I can not mark them / flag them (the red flag).
    I need this flag in rules to mark mails from special senders with the flag (so they get the yellow background).
    Setting the priority to "High" is not an option because I have to remove this priority when I reply to the mail.

• filomenahan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where the situation is this: Receive an email. Reply to that email. Forward the original email to someone else. Start an ongoing conversation with that second person. Continue an ongoing conversation with the original emailer. The two conversations should be completely separate and confidential, but I have been in the position where I noticed that a comment to the second person was in the previous conversation history that got forwarded to the original emailer. I DO NOT WANT THAT! I NEED TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK TO TWO SEPARATE PEOPLE ABOUT THE ONE EMAIL AND KEEP THOSE CONVERSATIONS SEPARATE AND PRIVATE. This has caused immense embarrassment.

• Narek Manasyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the last version you coult select a mail, and create a rule to move all the mails from the same destination.. now i hardly can do that.. i have to move 1 by 1

• Bilal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just activated, the beta-version and it is still kinda of new to me. An overall personal opinion is that its fresh, but still a little technical.
    But i guess, its just a matter of exploring it.

• Stacey Kirkwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just like searching for words in my search bar i want to be able to search 'receipt' or 'billing' or 'payment' and have those words be automatically processed into a folder of my choice,. too many different emails to go through and create a rule for each and every recipient i have.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base