OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Inbox Rules need to allow for all kinds of triggers and actions

Example: Mail rules currently cannot forward mail.

I need to be able to do more than move to a folder.

3,731 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thante Luedeesunut shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminOWA 3S Query Feedback (Admin, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that we’ve released an update for inbox rules that allow for all sorts of combinations in settings.

To create an advanced rule, either:
1) Right-click on an email
2) Click “Create rule”
3) Click “More options”
4) Create away!

OR

1) Click the settings gear icon in the top right
2) Click “View full settings”
3) Click “Rules”
4) Click “Add new rule”
5) Create away!

304 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I liked that the create rule function was easily accessible. Can't seem to find it in beta.

• EJ Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be AMAZING if Outlook.com and Outlook offline could share or sync message rules, allowing users to update them both, offline and online.

• Johnny Cyprus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without this feature the beta version is inferior to current Outlook.com - in fact the beta seems to me to have little to offer and I'll switch back for now.

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even switching back, I don't seem to be able to add a new rule or edit a rule.

• Jerry Lucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use some rules to delete spam containing certain key words. But it appears that spam blocking sends the spam to the junk folder before my rule deletes it. If so, I would like to process my rules before spam blocking.

• Doug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't see a way to automatically move emails to my folders, delete emails automatically, etc. this is fundamental to using email effectively

• Mia B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There needs to be an easy way to set up automatic sorting of incoming emails into folders, like there used to be in the old Outlook.

• brian horn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use rules to sort my E-mail into about 10 personal folders which I would like to have in alphabetic order. Trouble is they are mixed in with various Outlook folders and Ithen have to search for them. It would be far handier if they were listed all together under a drop down "Perspnal Folders" say. Any chance?

• Laurie Tuttle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No way to select "More..." to access all the folders created under "Inbox" so cannot save emails.

• Addison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently I see no ability to add a rule from a message in my inbox.

" In the meantime the workaround is to switch out of the beta to create/edit your rules and then switch back in. "
    I did it but now I cannot switch to beta anymore, I delete cookies and no luck

• Nicolás Mateo Bianco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

La opción de mover mensajes no recuerda las últimas carpetas, y no está la opción de mover todos los mensajes del remitente y crear una regla.

Falta opção para criar regra dos email's. Isso é muito importante para mim.

• Steve Dittmar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While in the Beta mode, there's no way to access the Mail Options such as defining Rules to automatically move new email into folders etc. Whatever you do, do NOT release this from Beta until at it is at least as functional as the current production version. It's infuriating when companies lose tons of feature functionality because they release a new UI that is half baked with the promise of the test coming "soon". Agile is fine, but Microsoft has a bad history of taking one step forward and two steps back.

There's not the option of creating a rule for an email, i.e. automaticly moving one to a selected folder.

• Raven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once apon a time , the previous rendition ago,
    there was a setting, called Create a Rule,
    to tell your e-mail where you want it to go.
    Should it go there everytime, or only now
    To the inbox, to junk mail or any other folder
    Create a Rule was the way to easy way to....

it's gone now - bring it back

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base