OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

New experiences in Outlook.com

Inbox Rules need to allow for all kinds of triggers and actions

Example: Mail rules currently cannot forward mail.

I need to be able to do more than move to a folder.

3,734 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thante Luedeesunut shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  AdminOWA 3S Query Feedback (Admin, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that we’ve released an update for inbox rules that allow for all sorts of combinations in settings.

To create an advanced rule, either:
    1) Right-click on an email
    2) Click “Create rule”
    3) Click “More options”
    4) Create away!

OR

1) Click the settings gear icon in the top right
    2) Click “View full settings”
    3) Click “Rules”
    4) Click “Add new rule”
    5) Create away!

304 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sven Colby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it true that one can't create a rule to delete emails from a specific folder after a specific date in the past? This is awful!

• Dave G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Create Rule option is low in options, and the options don't work. A spam mail I get always contains a name in the body. I asked to find the name in body, and delete... it fails to do this consistently.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

rules : Rule should include a condition action to: reject this email, do not place it in any folder, return to sender as undelivered.
        this allows the user to clean up junk folder and stopped being harassed by bad senders/spammers/phishers

• Marc Who commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try xmission.com email and calendar. Nice product and great customer service. Reasonable rates.

• Marc Who commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules need more options added to make them useful. Add conditions such as "and/or", "Match All", and "Match Any" of the conditions you set. This would streamline the Rules and make them more functional. Not to mention a lot less separate Rules that would have to be created.

• shawn.morse@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a lot of rules set up and they are frustratingly difficult to maintain. I would like more robust features in the Rules settings. Better sorting (i.e., auto sorts), grouping, the ability to search rules, ability to do AND and OR functions in the rule conditions setup, ability to merge rules.

• Disappointed user commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NEED RULES TO FILTER BY SENDER's NAME
        THE INDUSTRY STANDARD GMAIL HAS THIS RULE.
        THE FIRST VERSION OF OUTLOOK HAD THIS RULE.
        EVERYONE I KNOW WILL BE LEAVING OUTLOOK UNLESS THIS RULE IS RESTORED

• JD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RULEA ARE NOT COMPLETED.
        YOU NEED TO ENABLE USERS TO FILTER INCOMING EMAILS BY:
        SENDER'S NAME and by SENDER'S NAME CONTAINS.
        THIS IS A DEAL BREAKER.
        IT IS AN INSULT TO ALL OF THE USERS WHO REQUESTED THIS FEATURE TO SAY THAT RULES ARE COMPLETED.
        OUTLOOK.COM GIVES ERROR MESSAGES WHEN TRYING TO CREAT A RULE TO USE SENDER'S NAME.
        OUTRAGEOUS AND SHORT SIGHTED!!!!!

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You wrote, "YOU SPOKE. WE LISTENED."
        That is just the problem you did not listen.
        Users repeatedly asked for rules to filter incoming mail by sender's name. You have ignored that request, thus far. That is a deal breaker.
        Users asked for the advanced search drop down box. You have ignored that request.
        Users asked to speed up the platform. You have ignored that request.
        Other email platforms allow users to use the legacy formats in place at the time users sign up. Instead, you act like you know best and force your awful changes on users wrecking havoc on their lives.
        Your email platform is a huge disappointment and embarrassment to Microsoft.
        Give users what they want. It is the users who are using the platform other wise you would not have an email platform if everyone left.

• Ren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THIS IS NOT COMPLETED.
        YOU NEED TO ALLOW USERS TO FILTER INCOMING EMAILS BY SENDER'S NAME and by SENDER'S NAME CONTAINS.
        THIS IS A DEAL BREAKER.

• Susana Reis Duarte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello.
        Just wanted to say that you forgot one important feature that existed in previus version of outlook. The hability to move all emails to one folder and create rule is very powerfull. I have dozens of diferent newsletters that are prepared to go to one folder and I wanted to change those to another. So I wanted to be able to select those emails and move all to the new folder at the same time as I would overight the exixting rule. Right now there is no way to do that (I can only update the existing rule). Can you please bring back these feature? It's a huge time saver! Thanks

YOU OMITTED THE OPPORTUNITY TO CRATE RULES TO FILTER EMAILS BY SENDER'S NAME.
        THAT IS A DEAL BREAKER.
        SCORES OF USERS REQUESTED THAT ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY FEATURE.

EVERYONE I KNOW IS LEAVING OUTLOOK.COM BECAUSE OF THIS GLARING OMISSION.

Other email platforms offer this basic necessity as did the first version of Outlook.com

Let's say the user wants to sort emails from 2 different credit cards e.g. Chase Slate and Chase Freedom, which both come from chase.com. Your platform does not offer a way to do it.

Other email platforms allow to Filter emails using the name "Chase Slate" and "Chase Freedom."

I am incredulous you could omit this feature when your users have been pleading for it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this mean I have to recreate ALL my sorting rules FOR THE 11th TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to reinstate rules to filter incoming emails by SENDER's NAME or SENDER's NAME contains which was thoughtlessly removed when outlook.com was converted from version 1 to version 2.

The rule to sort by SENDER's NAME is a deal breaker for so many of us!!!!!!

WE SIGNED UP FOR OUTLOOK.COM BEAUSE IT OFFERED RULES TO FILTER EMAILS BY SENDER'S NAME AND WE COUNTED ON THAT RULE ALWAYS BEING AVAILABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In so many cases, filtering by sender's email address does not work.
        Newsletters change their email address constantly.

One advertising company sends emails for 15 different companies from the same email address. We need rules to filter emails by the name of the company which is the sender's name. Filtering my sender's email address dumps all emails relating to all companies in one disorganized folder.

GMAIL, YAHOO and other email platforms offer rules to filter emails by sender's NAME.

Scores of comments have addressed this issue.

• SS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scores of users have commented on the need to have rules to filter incoming mail by sender's name or sender's name contains, which was offered in the first outlook.com.
        This is a deal breaker.
        Now outlook.com only allow rules to filter by sender's email address and not by name.

You make changes and force them upon people. Other email services allow users to use legacy accounts and make improvements.
        Each iteration of outlook.com has gotten so much worse and so much slower.
        Outlook.com is an embarrassment to Microsoft.
        Everyone I know is leaving this horrible email provider.

• SS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scores of users have commented on the need to have rules to filter incoming mail by sender's name or sender's name contains, which was offered in the first outlook.com.
        This is a deal breaker.
        Now outlook.com only allow rules to filter by sender's email address.
        Everyone I know is leaving this horrible email source.
        You make changes and force them upon people. Other email services allow users to use legacy accounts and make improvements.
        Each iteration of outlook.com has gotten so much worse and so much slower.
        Outlook.com is an embarrassment to Microsoft.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

New experiences in Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base