OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Missing sender email address on hover and in reading pane

In the current outlook.com I am able to see the email address of the sender immediately. This is useful in the junk folder so I can see if the email could be legitimate.

This was not possible in the beta without looking at the source which is time consuming.

4,560 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

185 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like the Beta, regret that I clicked on it. I want my outlook , as it was, back. its confusing and upsetting for me.

• L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keep this safety feature. I use it before opening every single email because of all the phishing and scamming emails. This safety feature is absolutely necessary.

Please just display the email address along side the sender display name. Trying to hover the mouse doesn't exist in a tablet or mobile UI experience.

• M Gray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New Beta does not let us hover over email to see if its weird fake email before clicking on it to open it. I like the old way you could hover over senders name and it would show email address. So you could tell it was clearly a scam or Phishing email by the strange not matching email address.

This missing feature is a major safety flaw. Please either restore this feature or abandon this beta version.
    The beta version does not allow me to hover and see who the sender really is. I get many e-mails that claim to be Facebook, PayPal, E-Bay, and other popular sites. In the current version when I hover over what shows as the sender's address, the real address appears in a pop-up window. I can then see how the message is a spoof attempt and I can block the message without ever having opened it.
    If I must open a message before I can see who really sent it, they could get an automatic response showing the message had been opened which verifies my e-mail address is current and active. By being able to discover the real address before opening it I can avoid proving my address to spammers.
    Another possible solution is to put the sender's real e-mail address in that column in the first place. Why does it only show what the spammer wants me to see and not the real address???

• Rich Mesagna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hovering over the senders icon or name momentarily, reveals the complete email address and a list of other recent messages which is a nice feature, so I don't have an issue with how this works.

This is too scary! Not having the hover feature to view where the emails came from is much too scary!

I receive many emails from senders who are not legit! It says Amazon, but it's from some weird fake email easily identified by the hovering feature in the old email system! You'll see tons of numbers or mixed up lettering, proving it's not Amazon or Outlook! I'll go back to the old system till you notify me of this feature being repaired or installed.

Thank you!

• Ethan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree! I, too, hover my cursor so I can readily identify if an email is legitimate.

• jfreeman5@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hovering over email address does not show preview of senders address like it did before. I would hover over the address to see if it was an address other than one that I was familiar with, especially in the junk email folder.

• Alicia Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES - I use this feature a lot to catch phishing attempts and confirm if an email is safe to open or not. In fact this was the deal breaker for me, it's why I'm pulling out of the trial

• Chip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only is the "hover to see sender email address" feature useful in the Junk folder, it is also VERY helpful for identifying emails with spoofed sender names that were not caught by the junk filters. I have received many emails with spoofed sender names for PayPal and Amazon, among others, that look very similar to the legitimate emails I am used to seeing. This is a serious security flaw that increases the likelihood of inadvertently clicking on a malicious email and ending up with an infected PC. This is not good at all! Please notify me when this is corrected and I will try the beta version again.

• aaronmpotter@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the biggest issues for me in the beta format. I must be able to hover over the sender name to be able to see the actual email address. There's just too much spam email out and want to be able to quickly and effectively know if I can block the email permanently.

• aaronmpotter@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the biggest issues for me in the beta format. I must be able to hover over the sender name to be able to see the actual email address. There's just too much spam email out and want to be able to quickly and effectively know if I can block the email permanently.

• Darren Simpson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Show the senders email when you hover over the messege like you already have in the old version so i dont have to open the email to see that its not really from facebook and its just another spam email.

being able to hover to see an email address was one of the few reasons I use hotmail. I get a tremendous amount of junk that the filters don't catch. They have legit titles but are bad.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base