OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Missing sender email address on hover and in reading pane

In the current outlook.com I am able to see the email address of the sender immediately. This is useful in the junk folder so I can see if the email could be legitimate.

This was not possible in the beta without looking at the source which is time consuming.

4,559 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

185 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. If I can't see who they are from, then it is potentially putting people at risk. This is very poor design to omit the senders address.

• tricia.carers@hotmail.co.uk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree - I check e mail source using hover when I suspect phishing - if there is still any doubt then I'd right click to view the source. But being able to identify most with a quick hover over the sender saves so much time.

The old version I can hoover over an email sender to see the actual email address. This help to ensure the email was legit. The beta seems to have taken that ability away. I agree with most of the post, this is not an improvement. This seems to have taken a step towards google email, which is in the wrong direction. I think it should be closer to outlook in style, appearance, and functionality.

I want to be able to use the Hover Cursor to place above the incoming email name so I can see in a pop up (like the old email app) to preview the email address from the sender

• ubelo@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not safe to open the sender. The idea to have it easily as it was before is better.

• Dave Hodge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was one of the most important tools to avoid phishing. Without it... well I'm truly compromised

• QwkDrw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to see sender address with hoover in junk folder. I do not want to open message to see sender address. Hackers are able to wreak havoc as an email is opened.

Please let me take control of what is junk and what is real. I do not trust the MS algorithm because it has no clue what is real junk to me.

Thanks. Have a great day!

• Jonas K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has got to return or I will no longer use outlook. It's super-important! Thanks!

I agree. The mouse over feature is needed so that I can see if I know the sender or not.

This is very useful to know if the address is legitimate or one that you know! It also allows you to avoid opening emails that could be harmful!
    I could say is the functions I used the most. Please bring it back in the beta.

• Tracy Fischer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't agree more. I would drop this email if it was always this way. Very important.

• Manuel Kovacevich E. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to what they have already written, I use a lot of the "see message origin" option when I right-click on a message. Some spam messages appear as genuine in the popup window when you hover the cursor over the sender and this is the only way to identify a message that appears to be genuine

I switched back from trying the beta to the current version because the vital "hover to see sender email id" feature is missing in the beta. Having this feature is a must as there are too many phishing scams claiming the email to be from so-and-so. The original program lets one hover the mouse over the email sender name column and it will expand an info box to show the sender's full email address. This way one does not need to open the email itself, and can readily delete anything that is a phishing scam.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Didn't realize how much I use this feature until it was gone...please restore.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base