OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Missing sender email address on hover and in reading pane

In the current outlook.com I am able to see the email address of the sender immediately. This is useful in the junk folder so I can see if the email could be legitimate.

This was not possible in the beta without looking at the source which is time consuming.

4,560 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

185 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

bonjour depuis ce matin je ne sais envoyer ni recevoir aucuns mail sur mon pc ainsi que mon gsm et mon compagnon également quel en est la cause merci d'avance

• garykjel@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Critical updated needed to keep the actual email address in hover as it has been in the past. I always check to make sure email address matches the From name.

• Alvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes agreed ! Missing hover for sender email address and right click to view message source.
    And I didn't know so many ppl are doing the same thing haha....

• Allen Zwolinski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will switch back to the original non-beta version until this is fixed. I also need to hover over an email address to identify spam and fraudulent emails.
    I'M SURPRISED YOU LEFT OUT THIS VERY IMPORTANT TOOL !!!!

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I sometimes right click on item in inbox to show source rather than open. Can usually see enough info to decide if it is junk or phish. Can also move item to Junk folder and then hover over sender to see senders address. What a waste of time. Why cant I see senders address when I hover over name in inbox??? It worked in last version. PLEASE bring back this function.

I want to be able to hover my cursor over a sender's name and see the specific e-mail address from which the message was sent. The old version allowed that; the new one doesn't.

• Ikester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When hoovering over a senders name, I used to be able to see the email address that the sender used. It's not working now.

There used to be a feature where you could hover your mouse over an email's sender before opening the email, to see the email address. I use this frequently to determine whether or not an email is valid (and not a phishing scam), but in the Beta version hovering, right-clicking or ticking the email doesn't give any options to see the sender before opening.

Will this feature be re-introduced?

Under the current version, I like the fact i can hover over the senders details and confirm if the sender is a legitimate sender or junk mail. Especially when looking at emails under the junk folder as i liked the fact i didn't need to open a junk email to confirm that the sender is indeed a scammer.

It appears under the Beta version that you can not hover and see details of the email address, you can only see the details by opening the emails - which potentially exposes me to viruses etc.

if you click into the icon to view the sender's details, if their email address is long its display is truncated with ellipsis (…).

i've just received what i believe to be spam/phishing mail, but examining the hostname of the sender's address was an important part in making my determination, and was only possible by viewing from a mobile client.

• chris giz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back hover over sender to check email address and right click of email to select message source. Security must always be a priority in email opening.

missing the sent that usually appears. I had to be searching and not sure if my e-mail was sent. Not sure if I like this new page.

Agree. I should be able to quickly check the sender's true e-mail address to help guard against phishing. I miss the hover feature.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base