OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Missing sender email address on hover and in reading pane

In the current outlook.com I am able to see the email address of the sender immediately. This is useful in the junk folder so I can see if the email could be legitimate.

This was not possible in the beta without looking at the source which is time consuming.

4,559 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

185 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to see the full sender's email address (not only, but particularly in junk email), without the need to open, click on or otherwise interact with an email, is a fundamental security requirement. Please enable the hover capability, and/or provide an option to display the full email address alongside the 'friendly' sender name in the email list.

• Michael Harvey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The senders email address in the beta does work for me when i hover.

You hover your mouse over the senders name and then move the pointer just below the name. It then pops down a small window showing the sender email address and headers of the actual emails from that sender.

• Carolyn318 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The hover feature is working on my beta but the search feature has a problem. When I searched Audible, it showed all the emails from or about Audible but it didn't show the name of the folder/folders where they were located. FIX THAT, OUTLOOK!!! Search is useless to me if it doesn't show the location of the emails in the search results.

Oh. To quote cartoon characters Ren & Stimpy "Happy Happy. Joy Joy."
    The hover feature is now working on my beta in both the inbox folder and the junk mail folder. I'm so happy I want to get over my fear of heights, climb upon the roof and share it with the whole neighborhood. But it's not even 5 a.m. yet here, and there's my fear of heights I mentioned and then there's that ONE neighbor. So I guess I'll just once in a while get up and jump up and down in place while I SQUEE.

Darlene Moretti, there should be a switch at the top right of the screen where you can turn beta on and off.

Hey everyone. I found a way to see the sender's email address without opening the email. I don't like it. I'd rather hover the cursor over the sender's name to see the sender's email address. But it'll do till MSN can fix it back where you can just hover over the sender's name to see sender's email address. Here's the trick I found:
    Put the cursor over the colored circle with 1 letter, sometimes 2 letters, in it.
    Click to put a √ next to that email.
    Now go to SWEEP at the top and click on it.
    A box will open in the middle of the screen.
    At the top of the box it will say "For emails from:" And under that it will show the sender's name and in (parentheses) it will show the sender's email. When you finish, if you don't want to do any of the sweep in the box, just click the X in the top right corner or the CANCEL button in the bottom right corner.
    Like I said at the beginning of this post, I'd prefer to just hover over sender's name to see their email address. But I'll use it till MSN puts it back to where you can just hover over the sender's name.

• ken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

oh BRILLIANT instead of adding hover address view to new -you killed it off in the old version.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really useful feature that we need back please. As others have said, this is the safest way to check who an email has come from, so we can identify spam without opening the email. Thank you.

• baylor1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical for identifying spam without opening it, which we all know is not good!

A la entrada solo necesitamos ver los correos importantes para los usuarios, no los prioritarios que son comerciales de uso personal. en la actualidad la tecnología es para aplicarla en la forma útil y sencilla para no complicar a los usuarios.

need to see all junk emails address before blocking!!! not just one then "10 more" !!!!

• jin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have to click on Big alphabet letter of the senders it shows a drop down with email name etc and last few email
    Its a new feature better than hover because hover works and consume too much events .click is better and just works when you need it

• Jofie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my singular experience Outlook is mostly competent in not having legitimate emails in the junk folder. I mainly rely on the "Block Sender Email Address Confirmation" not to block someone I trust accidentally, although this was also removed from the beta. "Hover to View Address" I relied on to confirm individual messages in the Inbox. This was an extremely useful feature that I relied on constantly. Please bring it back.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base