OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Missing sender email address on hover and in reading pane

In the current outlook.com I am able to see the email address of the sender immediately. This is useful in the junk folder so I can see if the email could be legitimate.

This was not possible in the beta without looking at the source which is time consuming.

4,561 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

185 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • freedbygrace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The previous Outlook allowed you to see the address of the sender by resting the cursor on the unopened email. It was a good feature to see if I wanted to open it. Why was this feature removed?

• Gladys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I remove that function? I don't want to see sender's email address when I hover over email sender...Can I change it? thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not completed as you removed the "Find all Mail" feature from same "hovering" over a name. That feature allowed for quickly find all mail from one sender - without having to monkey with keyboard, typing, etc, but just a simple mouse click.

• hope2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After this wonderful "upgrade" I can no longer distinguish between a trusted sender and a spoof sender before opening the email, total ****

• kerryo10@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is terrible! I am in the Junk folder, and I cannot view any sender's address to verify if they are a bona fide sender or a scam! That's insane. If I cannot see the sender's address whether by hovering or by actually opening the message (something I Hate to do with an UNKNOWN), how am i to determine if it's genuine?

• Sarah _ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why don't all sender's email addresses show anymore when an email is opened? It helps to know if it is a scam email.

• suresh thulasidharan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see the senders name but not their exact email. This is nice but it would be very useful and more productive if there is an option to view, select and copy the senders email by directly clicking the name of the sender.

• Carolyn318 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still have this problem: When you have more than one junk email. When the box to confirm you want to block all the junk emails comes up, in it, it just gives the addresses for the first 2 emails then it says something like one of these 3 examples: "and 1 other" or "and 3 others" or "and 10 others".
    I want to see ALL the email addresses I'm about to block.
    I want it fixed...NOW.

A fellow poster said: "I got a message this was fixed. I tried the Beta and I still don't see the sender's address on hover."

That email was probably a copy of my post. I don't work for MSN or Outlook. Go back and check the email, see if I'm right about it being my post...Carolyn318.
    On MY BETA, hover is working but that doesn't mean it's working on beta for everyone.

Now to what I came here for.
    Right now I have 2 problems with beta:
    PROBLEM 1: When you have more than one junk email. When the box to confirm you want to block all the junk emails comes up, in it, it just gives the addresses for the first 2 emails then it says something like one of these 3 examples: "and 1 other" or "and 3 others" or "and 10 others".
    I want to see ALL the email addresses I'm about to block.
    PROBLEM 2: You still haven't fixed the search problem. When I search for something like AT&T, it'll show all the emails from or about AT&T but it still does NOT show to the right which folder each email is in.
    Okay, I've said all I want to say, for now.

• Joan Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What happened to this method?:

jin commented on Missing sender email address on hover and in reading pane
    You have to click on Big alphabet letter of the senders it shows a drop down with email name etc and last few email
    Its a new feature better than hover because hover works and consume too much events .click is better and just works when you need it

I got a message this was fixed. I tried the Beta and I still don't see the sender's address on hover. I am going back to the other version. I do not open every message I get. I do not trust everyone that sends me a message. If I cannot see the real address of the sender, I cannot use the program.
    This safety or security issue is big enough of a concern to me to change my e-mail. I have been with Hotmail for almost 20 years. I would not like to give up this e-mail address, but this issue might do it if you cannot fix this problem.

• EULISES MELO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's defenetly something that should not be taken out but the safe sender and block senders features in settings is also gone. Why not add those to the menu option instead of navigating to the settings?? I'll add a new topic for this.

• EULISES MELO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's defenetly something that should not be taken out but the safe sender and block senders features in settings is also gone. Why not add those to the menu option instead of navigating to the settings?? I'll add a new topic for this.

I do not like your new set up and I have lost all of my emails and contacts and the layout is offal I want the old lay out back

• Joyce Moyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not like your new set up and I have lost all of my emails and contacts and the layout is offal I want the old lay out back

SQUEE!!! I'm happy again. The hover is now working in both the inbox folder and the junk folder again. Please leave it alone. Work on the search issue. When I search something like Audible, it'll show me all emails from or about Audible but over to the right instead of showing the folder/folders the emails are in, it shows when the emails were received. When I turn beta off and do the same search, all the results in the search have the folder locations of the emails to right.

I was so happy a few days ago when I made this post:

"Oh. To quote cartoon characters Ren & Stimpy "Happy Happy. Joy Joy."
    The hover feature is now working on my beta in both the inbox folder and the junk mail folder. I'm so happy I want to get over my fear of heights, climb upon the roof and share it with the whole neighborhood. But it's not even 5 a.m. yet here, and there's my fear of heights I mentioned and then there's that ONE neighbor. So I guess I'll just once in a while get up and jump up and down in place while I SQUEE."

Now I'm so sad because now hover isn't working in the inbox folder or junk folder. Fix back!!! Make me again...and this time permanently. And fix the search issue I mentioned in this post:

"The hover feature is working on my beta but the search feature has a problem. When I searched Audible, it showed all the emails from or about Audible but it didn't show the name of the folder/folders where they were located. FIX THAT, OUTLOOK!!! Search is useless to me if it doesn't show the location of the emails in the search results."

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base