OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Enable sorting by sender, dates, subject, etc. in the filter dropdown

The filter tab in the earlier version allowed to sort by sender / subject etc. Please enable that

4,852 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mohit Sampat shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

December 2017: Thanks for your patience and continued use of the Outlook.com beta! We roll out new improvements every week, and are elated to announce that a recent update opened up this feature to you! You now can sort your message list by Receive Time (default), Sender Name, and Message Size.

We will continue to make other improvements to the Outlook.com beta experience; thanks for your support!

282 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bob Tai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to add that this sort by function is too subtle/hidden as it is in the original hotmail. The fact that you erase it in the beta is worse. I have a brain injury disability and only after a decade did i notice the sort by function and used sort by sender to delete emails much more easily. Things like this should be designed to be firstly simple to use using universal design as a guide so that most handicapped people can use it. I'm sick of technology not being user friendly like this. I was a bit furious that I had only discovered the function recently and not having it in the beta is just offensive.

• JALAYNE WEINFURTNER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHEN I AM GONE TO MY SON' COTTAGE W/NO INTERNET AND I GET HOME TO 500+ EMAILS...IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THRU CLEANING OUT MY INBOX WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO SORT BY FROM!!!!
    YOU'VE BEEN WORKING ON THS BETA HOW LONG??? AND YOU ARE STILL NOT LISTENING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I miss the filters from the old release (eg. filter by sender). This makes it easier for me to store items in folders and categorise, please bring it back.

• M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where is the sorting functionality? How can I sort by sender?

• Alan G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that we need to be able to sort the emails as per our wishes and not how the programmer decides for us.

Please put the sorting features identical to what we had in the pre-Beta version. It worked so no need to re-invent it.

• Spencer Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such an important feature to me. When my emails stack up, it's great to be able to sort by "From" and deal with some of the bulk stuff all at once. Of course, you can just search for them, but this feature allows you to walk through senders by alphabetical order.

• Janelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

REALLY miss not being able to sort from sender. Please bring that back!

• EULISES MELO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wao +Lynn Aryes Im glad this option is considered; like the anonymous comment said that I include in this replyl funny but true...

Seriously, this is a basic part of any email platform. For you to have gotten this far without including it is ridiculous, and I would seriously hope someone has lost their job over it. You should be embarrassed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, this is a basic part of any email platform. For you to have gotten this far without including it is ridiculous, and I would seriously hope someone has lost their job over it. You should be embarrassed.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base