OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Enable sorting by sender, dates, subject, etc. in the filter dropdown

The filter tab in the earlier version allowed to sort by sender / subject etc. Please enable that

4,853 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mohit Sampat shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

December 2017: Thanks for your patience and continued use of the Outlook.com beta! We roll out new improvements every week, and are elated to announce that a recent update opened up this feature to you! You now can sort your message list by Receive Time (default), Sender Name, and Message Size.

We will continue to make other improvements to the Outlook.com beta experience; thanks for your support!

282 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mark F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the previous Outlook version, I was able to sort my emails by date (oldest to newest) and it would stay that way. Now, I have manually sort every time I open my Inbox, which is inconvenient and a waste of time. How do I correct this?

• Nancy Whelan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like to be able to quickly sort my Inbox by DATE or FROM, with a single click. (Like you can sort files inside Window folders).
    As it is, I DREAD coming here because my Inbox has 3000 and it takes an hour to eliminate 100.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anyone going to actually address this issue, and return this basic functionality back to Outlook?! I have thousands of emails to sort through, and not being able to "sort by" renders this task impossible. Outlook's servers must be getting pretty clogged with stuff as I can't be the only one with this issue!

Why TF was this basic, but essential, feature removed?! IDIOTS!!!

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this actually going to be looked at, and addressed?! I have thousands of emails I need to sort through, and being unable to "sort by" makes this an impossible task that I simply am not bothering with!

Why TF was this basic functionality removed?! IDIOTS!!

• Ivo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,
    It is possible to sort e-mails by date or sender,.. or,.... through the filter. It is o.k. But I wonder why I cannot make "sort by sender" default sorting?
    It would be so nice if you can enable it, that useres can change it according to preferences. Thank you!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, as Harry said, I really miss being able to sort by subject (and nooooo, I don't want conversation view, these two are not interchangeable). I still really dislike the new beta. It is not an improvement.

• Harry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any plans to include sorting by subject, like there was in the previous version?

• Alin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I really don't understand why you guys removed the alphabetical sorting of emails. It was very useful and honestly, I cannot do my work without it. Can you please put it back? Thanks!

Before this new Beta version, I was able to access quite a few sorting features. On of them was sorting sent emails by Name, amongst other options. These seem to have disappeared, and I use those quite often in projects. Can you please add all of the sorting features back in again? Thanks. Michael.

• Kenneth Butch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook beta
    Under Settings/mail/Layout,
    For the question "What do you want to do when you log in?"
    Please add option, "Open the oldest unread message."

Currently your options let you read the top of the list (latest message) but I want to read messages in the order they were received also taking into account the sort order by date.

• hike_camp_friends commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if the filters would remain as selected. I set the filter in Inbox to "sender" - as expected when I went into another folder I had to set the filter (again from "sender" (from co-workers), When I returned to "Inbox" it had returned to "Date". I thought sh**, returned to my co-worker folder to discover it had also reset to "Date". and with that I exited Beta.

The new sorting function does not allow sorting by subject. This was the main function I used, I hope you will consider adding it.

• Ann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear MS team,

The sort filter for sent folder does not include the ability to sort by "To" (who email is being sent to). Can you please consider for future filter improvements, or is this in-progress?

Thank you,

• Lynx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Strangely, I was able to enable this function on my home computer, but not on my work computer?

• Kathi Saccullo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you! Just went back to the beta. This fix is much appreciated. Now need to bring back the ability to pop-out the email so that multiple emails can be open at one time.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base