OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Enable sorting by sender, dates, subject, etc. in the filter dropdown

The filter tab in the earlier version allowed to sort by sender / subject etc. Please enable that

4,852 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mohit Sampat shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

December 2017: Thanks for your patience and continued use of the Outlook.com beta! We roll out new improvements every week, and are elated to announce that a recent update opened up this feature to you! You now can sort your message list by Receive Time (default), Sender Name, and Message Size.

We will continue to make other improvements to the Outlook.com beta experience; thanks for your support!

282 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Meg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My favorite part of my Hotmail was being able to sort by sender and you have taken that away. Please bring the feature back that allows the USER to decide how to sort their own email!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't need "today", "yesterday", and "this month" titles on my emails. I just need them sorted by date. These titles take up too much room on my screen and are unnecessary.

Agree with anonymous below. As usual Microsoft has ******-up a system that has previously worked well and is total inept at fixing a problem such as the uncontrolled automatic scrolling problem described. Usual arrogant and totally unhelpful response to these issues from Microsoft. As they say in Glasgow - from Disneyland : Disnay know & disnay care!

Return the ability to sort mail by date, sender, and subject within the view listing; and stop constantly forcing my screen to automatically scroll to the most recent message.

• ramanbil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There was a provision to see mails sent by or to any particular member at the left hand corner near where "New message" appears now. Please make it available again.

• Mel G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make the sort filter selection by date permanent. I prefer having the oldest email at the top of the window.

• JANETJOHNSON123@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like to sort my emails by sender in each folder. When I set my emails this way, it does not stay. Even if I don't log out, when I go from folder to folder, and come back to the folder I want, my sorting has gone back to default which is by date. Is there a way to set this permanently?

• ellecita520@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am annoyed that I cannot set a permanent filter to organize all of my emails by "from" rather than automatically having them organized by date sent. Being able to permanently have the filtering of my emails set to organized them by "from" decreases the amount of limited time I have to check my emails.

One of the most valuable features was being able to sort emails by subject. Why have you removed this functionality - and can you please put it back?

• cazmccallum@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can I no longer sort emails by "to" or "from"? Until yesterday I could do so, but today that option is no longer available. Just wish you would stop changing the layout and options and leave settings as they were! This is really frustrating.

• NBD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

cannot seem to figure out on how to filter by sender email. the previous version I could achieve that hovering over the sender email and select "mail". Please help with the solution in the new version. Thanks, Nadim

• simone_camilleri@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For some reason after the updates to the user interface that were forced upon us, it does not seem possible to search by subject, date AND the sender of the email. This makes searching for things almost impossible. One of the key features of Hotmail has been removed. Why make something that works into a worse version? Already advanced search had been downgraded a few years ago, now it's even worse.

With the new format i cannot find a way to sort inbox messages by "sender", ie from?! This was a useful tool with the previous format. Please restore, thanks

I miss the options to sort by subject. I used to use this a lot. Big negative not being able to continue with that function. I assume you believe that the search feature is a good replacement.

this sucks , i cant find email according to date and others. you should give client option to review date for email

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base