OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Enable sorting by sender, dates, subject, etc. in the filter dropdown

The filter tab in the earlier version allowed to sort by sender / subject etc. Please enable that

4,852 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mohit Sampat shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

December 2017: Thanks for your patience and continued use of the Outlook.com beta! We roll out new improvements every week, and are elated to announce that a recent update opened up this feature to you! You now can sort your message list by Receive Time (default), Sender Name, and Message Size.

We will continue to make other improvements to the Outlook.com beta experience; thanks for your support!

283 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • LaVonne Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the Beta version has a good look, and I've been using it. However, when trying to search for a specific email, I couldn't find the "sort by" option. And, I also agree with the user about not having all the emails from one person stacked together.

• Elisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to use columns to sort like in Outlook for Desktop.

• Chris Holmes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unable to sort the drafts folder into alphabetical order as in previous versions. Only shows as date order. Please can we have sorting added. Thanks

• Miss Quita commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add Sort from SENDER please. Stop with all the double headers too, they are too space consuming. Thanks.

• William Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the past two weeks, I started getting all my new email in another folder! I had to go through making settings for each email sender that I wanted in the Inbox! I don't know what happened ... I was after a Windows 10 update!

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the old outlook I could have my emails grouped by sender. this way it made it easier to move to what was more important or go to senders and quickly scan certain senders. Now I have to either perform a search or click through all the emails. Please bring back the grouping ability.

• Larry Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this filter, however the first time I selected it the option to filter again was gone. It said something like "remove" (if I remember correctly).

Please keep the filter option, but clean it up so it continues to remain... after the first filter selection.

Thanks.

• Terry Hubbard-Legorreta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see you will add the sort option in a later version. Please do NOT add the "header" line for each sender/subject in this version. I hate it in the free version I have. It is too much clutter!

• Gordon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Filter needs to be easier and 'one click' accessible like the earlier client-based version of Outlook. I get dozens of emails every day and I need to know what each sender sent me previously in order to understand the context of the current email in relation to others (when not in a comment/reply grouping). Plus, later on I need an easy way to go back and select which emails need to be kept vs. deleted.... for both of which a toggle back and forth from the sequence received to received-within-sender would be far easier.

• Rob Nockowitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I display only "Unread" messages in the "Inbox"? The old version had a "Filter By" menu

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, can we make sure the sorting feature can be collapsed? Such a great feature, don't know why you've removed it

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This beta is to much like the mail application in Win10. I don't use that because I have no way or sorting the emails in ascending or descending order. Bring it back and I may use it.

• jclespaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it where you can filter your inbox by people, dates, subject matter etc.

• Pasco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No puedo ordenar por: (recibido, remitente, asunto)
    no puedo buscar todos los mail de un remitente
    no puedo volver a la version anterior
    cuando se abre un mensaje en el panel de visor la barra superior del outlook desaparece

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base