OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Enable sorting by sender, dates, subject, etc. in the filter dropdown

The filter tab in the earlier version allowed to sort by sender / subject etc. Please enable that

4,852 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mohit Sampat shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminPhilip Loh (Outlook Web Advocate, Outlook.com) responded  · 

December 2017: Thanks for your patience and continued use of the Outlook.com beta! We roll out new improvements every week, and are elated to announce that a recent update opened up this feature to you! You now can sort your message list by Receive Time (default), Sender Name, and Message Size.

We will continue to make other improvements to the Outlook.com beta experience; thanks for your support!

282 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • RR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please restore sorting emails by sender's NAME and sender's NAME CONTAINS. Gmail, Yahoo, etc. offer this feature. This feature was in the original Outlook.com but removed in the first Outlook update. My friends, family, colleagues and business associates assorted all the emails by sender's NAME not by sender's email address. The absence of this absolutely necessary feature is cluttering the inbox and we are all considering migrating away from Outlook to another company that offers this necessary function. Hopefully Microsoft will restore this function and we will not need to leave Outlook. Thank you. My colleague received notice this was posted but it is not up for all to see.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should still be able to sort e-mail by name. Alphabetically. Also, I don't like all the ugly colors abbreviating people's first and last names. The old outlook was much better with just white and blue. Too many random colors in this new version.

• Toni Delčev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Beta Version the Filter Options don't look like they used to be.

The "From or Sender" Filter is missing (in German VON Filter)

• SS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please restore sorting/filtering emails by sender's NAME and sender's NAME CONTAINS. Gmail, Yahoo, etc. offer this feature. This feature was in the original Outlook.com but removed in the first Outlook update. My friends, family, colleagues and business associates assorted all the emails by sender's NAME not by sender's email address. The absence of this absolutely necessary feature is cluttering the inbox and we are all considering migrating away from Outlook to another company that offers this necessary function. Hopefully Microsoft will restore this function and we will not need to leave Outlook. Please let us know so we can decide if we will stay with Microsoft.Thank you. (Why was this comment removed from the posting? All my office-co-workers were so excited it was posted.)

• RS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please restore sorting/filtering emails by sender's NAME and sender's NAME CONTAINS. Gmail, Yahoo, etc. offer this feature. This feature was in the original Outlook.com but removed in the first Outlook update. My friends, family, colleagues and business associates assorted all the emails by sender's NAME not by sender's email address. The absence of this absolutely necessary feature is cluttering the inbox and we are all considering migrating away from Outlook to another company that offers this necessary function. Hopefully Microsoft will restore this function and we will not need to leave Outlook. Thank you.

• Benetta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer to have choices to sort my email by date, from, oldest, newest like the previous version. This way I can look at all the email from the same sender at the same time.

• SS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some emails can only be sorted by sender's name or sender's name contains because the businesses keep changing the sender's email addresses. Please allow us to sort by sender's name and sender's name changes. Outlook.com originally had this very important and necessary feature.

Please add sort by under filter. I have a zillion email and I need to sort them by sender

• Sonja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As in the old folder - I would like to sort by "from" in junk mail. So I have all mails from the same sender underneath each other

• Frank Gambuto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a very useful feature I utilized from the previous version. It helps me to analyze my emails by volume and set up filters to minimize my storage needs.

It would be great if as in the earlier version that allowed to sort by sender / subject etc. Please enable that

• Shelley Dawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I made my deleted emails and my junk emails filtered to be in Alphabetical order so i can make sure i am not missing anything that didn't get sent to my email. Now when i tried the Beta it wont let me. All i can find it filtered to "unread,me,or flagged". i know its a test run but i was just wondering if it does have that setting somewhere that does this or i just didn't look hard enough and i don't see it. :) Thank you.

• sharana819 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me too! The sort function was one of the things I liked best about outlook/hotmail, etc.

• LaVonne Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the Beta version has a good look, and I've been using it. However, when trying to search for a specific email, I couldn't find the "sort by" option. And, I also agree with the user about not having all the emails from one person stacked together.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base