OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Enable sorting by sender, dates, subject, etc. in the filter dropdown

The filter tab in the earlier version allowed to sort by sender / subject etc. Please enable that

4,852 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mohit Sampat shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

December 2017: Thanks for your patience and continued use of the Outlook.com beta! We roll out new improvements every week, and are elated to announce that a recent update opened up this feature to you! You now can sort your message list by Receive Time (default), Sender Name, and Message Size.

We will continue to make other improvements to the Outlook.com beta experience; thanks for your support!

283 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • René commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I come back to the old version until the sort function by sender, etc.. is available.

• Matthew Bland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, this filter / sorting is a mess. Before 'filing' or moving my emails to other folders, which are by default sorted alphabetically, it is ridiculous, that you cannot filter by 'from' or 'sender'. When I've sorted by 'from' and the mails then appear alphabetically, it is then easier to drag and drop them in to your folders.
    How to have missed this is quite beyond me!

• Katharine Bryant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to sort. Too time consuming to go through all the emails when I am looking for a particular group. I already had to stop using my particular tablet because of this Beta version already being launched and no way of changing it back to the original version.

• Dvg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HI, i want to be able to sort email by sender as well as date. This used to be possible but in this beta I cant find it anymore.

• Jen Vann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the overall look of the Beta, but I'm missing being able to sort my emails by sender.
    I also miss the old sweep function (from a few versions back) where you could select just one email from someone and use the sweep to delete all emails from that sender.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Beta testing I could not find a good way to find the "sort by" option. It would be great if there was a way to easily find it and then sort it by either date or by letter of the alphabet. If done by alphabet, once it sorts all by that certain email, it would be great if you could take that header; example if it was sorted and the header was all those emails from Publishers Clearing House you could simply clikc on that header to delete every single email from them, instead of having to click a box on each individual email to get rid of it.

• Moe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that basic tools like this are not on from the start is truly disappointing

• Alvester Garnett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems really strange that for an email management and viewing interface that you can't sort by sender. I would think that would be the FIRST thing you would want to have in place before testing it out on the public. It's a horrible way to get people to like your product. For example I noticed that for the first time that an extremely important message was sent to my junk mail folder from an crucial sender. Now I have to go back and scroll through hundreds of emails to find out if other messages from the same sender were sent wrongly to the junk mail folder. I could easily verify this if there was an option to sort by sender.

It seems like the software designers for this service don't actually use the product in their own daily lives.

• silviahrocha@live.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

fiquei triste porque tiraram do filtro a opção DE, onde podíamos reunir todas as mensagens de uma só pessoa! era mais fácil pra excluir ou agrupas e jogar para as pastas para organizar!

• Russell Earl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New outlook looks great but until can sort by name I will continue with original as much easier to find emails than going through by date

• Denis Denk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did not find the sorting options for emails. I think it's worth adding this feature.

• Evire Banririe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, filtering be kept working and to include a fast search for messages or attachments so as to make inbox cleaning faster

• Tricia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the filter feature I want to be able to choose from "Newsletters, social media, etc like in an older version of Outlook. I like being able to delete emails in a grouping if I'm not interested in them. It helps me to keep my inbox cleaner.

• johan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like to sort my e-mail on "date", "from", "to",... (click on filter)
    that is no longer possible in the beta version on first sight.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base