OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Ads take up too much space

I also have an Office 365 Home subscription... can that remove ads for me?

6,332 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminPhilip Loh (Outlook Web Advocate, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Update January 2018:

We have confirmed that all users whose email addresses have an Office 365 subscription attached to it are getting the ad-free Outlook.com experience. We encourage anyone who would like the ad-free Outlook.com experience to sign up for an Office 365 subscription, which comes with a plethora of additional perks and benefits.

In addition to this, users who would like to have a larger reading surface may find the Reading Pane Off/Hidden mode more preferable. This setting may be found in the Quick Settings panel, under Reading Pane > Hide.

820 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Stephen Reid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new layout is ok (although why everything has to be so huge, small one line layout like old desktop outlook would be great) but now the ad panel is really intrusive. I know in some ways it's supposed to be but it make reading mail very uncomfortable. (plus, O365 subscribers should get ad-free outlook.com, not have to pay again)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reading pane could be wider if the ad blocker message could be closed. This would make reading messages much less complicated.

• Gaertner John Neko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because of the separation of the mail list & read panel, the advertisement panel feels bigger than before the beta. The position of the advertisements is inconvenient, a move to the bottom right side of the windows would be great as there are no buttons.

• Timo Böhme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was allowed to test new Mail-Online version.
    I was impressed and in case of outlook guideline I could follow immediate all panels and the functionality. The system feels finished and fast.

On all this professional feeling situation please get rid of the advertising panel. It immediate let all look like a cheap gmail account and leaves bitter tast of unprofessional software, filling my screen with 20% trash.

I paid so many software liceses, working in companies paying thousand of euros for the licenses and I dont want to see **** hearthstone gaming animation while I have a presentation and clients are looking over my shoulder. A no go. That way I need to stay at offline version of office.

Regards

• ck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's no option to turn off the add next to the reading pane.

Having purchased MS Windows and Office at considerable cost, a licensed user should not be subjected to advertising, giving up valuable screen real estate and having to put up with the constant distractions, or use an ad-blocker. Get rid of the advertising for licensed users Microsoft - you've made your money already. Do not need to look at sleeping strangers selling anti-snoring apparatus all day. It doesn't matter how functional the mail client is, if it is overrun with advertising, it's a no go.

The ads on the sidebar (right side of the messages) made it difficult to read the emails very well. The window is too cramped. I didn't like using it as a result.

• Kevin Crannie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS should consider a change in Ad positioning, much the same as Gmail has done.

Paid Ads in Gmail no longer exist on the right side of the panel. Gmail repositioned its ads to the top panel. Now the text within the ad is a singular line with between 35 - 70 characters of ad space copy. So it creating a native appearance and is hardly noticeable.

If MS were to do the same, reposition its ads to the top panel in a singular line of ad space copy, it would have a big impact on your marketing strategy, as well; free up a lot more space on the right-hand panel in the Inbox.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When composing an email, the advertisement sidebar takes up equally as much space as the text field. The current version of Outlook opens a new window for new email, but beta spreads the process out vertically. The ad orientation is not only distracting, but very space consuming. Better integration of the ad - perhaps horizontally at the bottom at the screen - would make for a better experience.

You made it more like Yahoo Mail, and that's not a good thing. Unless I completely expand my mail window to the full width of a widescreen, all of the columns, including the ad mean that I cannot see the entire width of my email message. Just like Yahoo. And that is not good. I don't want my email to take up the entire screen. I have other things that I'm working on.

• Blake Walsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The banner telling me to not use an ad-blocker and to get the ad-free outlook is way bigger than in the older, jsvvm version of Outlook, which is very frustrating.

• CJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have retried this beta setting again and it is awful, loads of the settings like sweep are missing and I use these a lot to file my emails.

Please leave what works alone, do not simplify, a lot of your users like to have choices, do not do what you did to Windows XP to 7 or I will close my account, just like I left Windows.... Sorry if sounds strong, however you simply do not listen to your average users, you are just like Google, Facebook, eBay & Gumtree always trying to stick adverts in our face..stop it, or lose us....

• Kurbatova Mary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support the idea that ad should be removed for subscribers! I It indeed takes too much space and it is simply annoying.

The new Outlook.com: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base