OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

New experiences in Outlook.com

dark/night mode is essential

Nowadays a dark or night mode is a necessary feature IMO.

1,066 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Daniel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It is my greatest pleasure to share this piece of news with you: Dark Mode is here, on the new Outlook.com!

What is Dark Mode?
    Dark Mode is a more-pleasant way to read your Outlook.com email if you prefer interfaces that are less bright or if you are in a low-light environment. Dark Mode is available on the new Outlook.com experience (formerly known as the Outlook.com Beta experience) only.

How do I turn it on?
    To turn on Dark Mode, open the Quick Settings panel by selecting the Gear icon at the top of your screen. The option to enable Dark Mode is near the top of the panel, immediately under Theme selection. If your browser is unable to support Dark Mode, consider using Microsoft Edge.

Why is Dark Mode not a theme?
    When we designed Dark Mode, we debated having it exist in Outlook.com as a theme. We quickly concluded that the way most people would expect themes to work and the way Dark Mode works were fundamentally different. Also, we imagine that there would be a dark experience for all available themes in the future, so having Dark Mode be a separate toggle would facilitate that. Plus, this is consistent with many other applications that have a dark mode.

Will Dark Mode support themes?
    Dark Mode only supports the default blue theme right now.

Why does my reading pane have a dark background for email messages I receive?
    One of the most crucial principles we had when designing Dark Mode was to minimize the amount of eye strain that people felt. Many email clients on the web today advertise a dark mode, but we learned from interviews with others and our own usage that having the reading pane be on-light while the rest of the interface was left on-dark often made the experience worse than if the full screen were left on-light.

For 2017’s Halloween Theme, we experimented with placing a light gray background in the reading pane. While that resulted in a decrease in eye strain, the design wasn’t ultimately one that we liked for various reasons. We iterated on this problem a couple more times before landing on the solution that you now see, where email messages that you receive are recolored in a secret way that preserves the readability of the original message and preserves the intent of the original sender.

How do I see the original formatting?
    You can see any email message that you receive in the original formatting by using the “Turn on the lights” button.

Thank you so much for your patience and support. We hope you love this!

>> Philip.

376 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anas Moustafa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not able to turn the dark mode on ?

i can not find the option on this procedure( open the Quick Settings panel by selecting the Gear icon at the top of your screen. The option to enable Dark Mode is near the top of the panel, immediately under Theme selection)

would you please explain how i can see the option ??

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this available for just personal Outlook.com and not Office 365?

• Jim Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with Andrew Truckle. It would be nice to have draft REPLIES appear in Dark Mode as well. Perhaps the regular Black on White appearance is intended to alert the user that one is still working with an UNSENT draft but, hey, why not have a basically different Dark Mode appearance for a DRAFT rather than going back to blinding (battery-consuming) WHITEOUT mode.

• Ravi Bhikhie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

****, for the first time in my 35 years of anything, Microsoft implemented a feature I requested! Good going.

• Sin Shadow Fox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to see you guys finally made a dark mode . . . would sure love to see it though. any estimate when dark mode will leave beta and be ready for real outlook?

• James Elmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

great start on dark mode! Can't wait for new themes - or better yet, user customize-able themes. Future request, make the reply editor stay dark as well - which would fall in line with your release comments above.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dark Mode is a great start. Please make the dark mode even darker! Remove the blue title bar! Blue light is bad for the eyes as well. We need a total blackout mode.

• Vandrey Trindade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great! I've opened Edge, configured Outlook.com to use the dark theme, and refreshed it on Firefox, now it's dark there too.
        Please add:
        - Support for more browsers
        - Support for themes (I don't like the blue theme)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

White (text) on gray is just OK - still a little hared to read. In the Halloween theme, the text was orange which was fantastic. Will this ever be available?

• Jim Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Translation of " Dark Mode is here, on the new Outlook.com!" - you have to be running the BETA. For me, it's only available as described when I switch to the BETA - and it's GREAT. Very restful on the eyes and photos and colors look great, just like the Microsoft Photos app with a medium dark grey background

• Andrew Truckle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for this feature. Any reason why when you hit reply that the reply page still has a white background? Maybe that is for the best, I am not sure. Just wanted to check.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

Feedback and Knowledge Base