OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Want Classic Back!

Title: Want Classic Back: I want switched back to classic view. There is no option for me to switch to classic. I was forced to use beta. Please make it an option to choose.

7,766 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2693 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off…

2. Outlook update SO SLOW!

Outlook update SO SLOW!
    Just tried looking for an email which turned out to be a year ago to the day, couldn't remember email address/identity of sender. Scrolling back through history is w-a-a-a-y-y slower than previous.

5,169 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1487 comments  ·  Chat  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, we’ve fixed some things related to performance. Please create new suggestions or add more information if you are experiencing slow performance!

We’ve created a forum which will allow you to better investigate.

Form link:

forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id..

Thanks

Colin

3. BLOCK EMAIL ADDRESSES

BLOCK EMAIL ADDRESSES - The option to block junk email addresses used to be on your menu along with Sweep, Move to and Delete. An update you made 1-2 years ago removed this, making it MORE cumbersome to block bogus email addresses. Now I have to (1) select one or more email addresses, (2) right-click, (3) then select Block. Please restore this to the menu bar.

629 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

127 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey, thanks for your feedback! You can currently do this from the menu bar. When you’ve opened an email (or selected multiple), click the “Junk” dropdown button in the command bar. You can find this button below the search bar, next to the “Delete” and “Archive” buttons. Then select “Block” from the menu that appears below the “Junk” button.

Colin

4. I am not able to check my contact list alphabetically while sending email by clicking on new email .

I am not able to check my contact list alphabetically while sending email by clicking on new email .

178 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

220 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As of yesterday, the Contact Picker dialog has been returned to an alphabetical A-Z sort order. As many comments show, lots of Outlook.com users are already seeing the fixed behavior. If you do not observe this in your Outlook Web session, you will need to refresh your browser (or maybe even clear your cache).

Again, the sort order not being alphabetical A-Z was always a bug and was never by design.

You may be interested to know the next item on our plan for the Contact Picker: Soon, there will be a way to type letters and by so doing filter the list down to matching entries. This means you shouldn’t need to scroll over and over, in the future.

Thanks for your continued support.

5. Infinite scroll makes it impossible to get to old emails

Previous iterations of outlook.com have used pagination or viewport scrolling to allow me to accurately jump to any point in the middle of my inbox. The new layout, however, uses infinite scrolling, meaning that if I want to view a message more than a few days old, I have to scroll to the bottom, wait for a few messages to load, scroll to the bottom, wait for more messages to load, ad infinitum.

In fact, I can't any way in the new inbox of jumping to a historical email. If I can remember that I received an email at the…

4,023 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

252 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! We recommend that you use Search to find older emails.

If you click in the search bar, on the right (next to the search icon) you will see a dropdown menu that says “All folders”.

Click on this menu, and then select the date range that you want to search in. Once you’ve applied this date range, you can search within just those dates to see your emails.

Colin

6. "Send" goes to drafts

Everything I "send" goes to drafts and doesn't get sent.

856 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

525 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Mail > Subscription

Hotmail/Outlook- Mail > Subscriptions > I can not delete newsletters I did not subscribe to
    Under my settings>mail>subscriptions - there is a ton of newsletters/junk email/spam that I never added and can not delete. I don't know how they got there and how can i remove them.

No matter what I've tried to delete these it doesn't work - spammers latched themselves this way?

528 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

379 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve finished the development work and will be rolling out a new version of the subscription manager over the next few weeks!

You may see that your subscriptions are deleted and the subscription manager is reset. We’re doing this so that we can purge all of the incorrect subscriptions from your list.

Colin

8. 140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

220 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Block Sender

It is ridiculous that I have to type in the address of the email that is sending me junk. Why would I want to open an email to get the address? Just hitting the Block Sender was so much safer. This is ridiculous.

1,214 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

184 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. BLOCK/STOP ALL ADS

BLOCK ALL ADS
    I WOULD RATHER LOOK AT THIS THAN ANY ADS
    STOP THE AD HARRASSMENT

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Display Modes for Density or Compact

isn't it possible to have more compact view? menus are taking lots of space in screen and way too annoying.

5,842 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1483 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I again thank each and everyone of you for using Outlook.com and for providing all of your feedback. I wanted to let you know that as of today we have enabled Density settings. There are three modes which control how tight and how much information is shown on the screen.

To change the density settings click on the gear in the top right (settings). In the pane that opened you should see three setting Full, Medium and Compact.

Hope this helps address some of the concerns around white space :)

Thanks again,

David Los

12. New feedback

This new version is garbage, confusing, with avatars that I do not want to see, few emails per page and visually horrible. They should ask the user if they like the new version or allow the previous one to be used. I'm going to close the account after many years. It's just Horrible !!!

1,456 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

120 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

13. SPAM!

The amount of annoying pop ups trying to push new "features" feels very untrustworthy. Mail services should not be confused with social interactive sites.

183 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  70 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. PLEASE HELP WITH JUNK and SPAM!

PLEASE HELP WITH JUNK and SPAM!

I am getting A TON of really inappropriate and obviously spam e-mails. Whatever MSN and Hotmail are currently doing to ensure these do not come to our mailboxes (ANY folder, including JUNK - I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THIS!) is not working. Can I PLEASE speak to someone about this problem. It's been increasing over the last year and I'm really tired of it. It's not appropriate and these are very clearly not "real" e-mails. I do not have time in the day to block individually. PLEASE contact me about this problem. I'm…

260 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

431 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to report your issues with our spam filters, as well as for using Outlook.com.

I just wanted to let you all know that as of this morning we have made some changes to our spam filters. This should help reduce some of the levels of spam you may have been experiencing.

Thanks

David Los

15. I like the mode with the Reading Pane off

You turned it on for me... can you let me turn it off?

The Reading Pane takes up too much space on the right, and I want my previews to show up in an ordered way (right now it might be a little hard to tell which word belongs to which thing).

29,237 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2107 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that you can turn the Reading Pane off yourself by taking these steps:

1. Go to Settings (you should see the Quick Settings in the side pane)
    2. Reading pane > Hide (it’s a radio button)

If this is the mode you prefer, go right ahead and personalize your Outlook.com that way!

16. Deleted items re-appearing

Getting really sixk of deleting emails only to have them reappear multiple times.

566 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

625 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all, wanted to provide an update here. It seems like some people are having an issue where the deleted items are causing the mailbox to hit the storage limit. Please select all messages in deleted items by clicking the circle check mark next to Deleted Items. Then choose “Empty folder”. This should delete all items and free up storage in your mailbox. If you are having trouble sending emails because of a storage limit, this should help

If you are having other issues, please fill out this form and we’ll try to see what’s going on: https://forms.microsoft.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR3M5kvKXLUxLg5HHvJDXsGlUMTkyUVdRNjlQV1c5UThZWVhORE04WjJUSS4u

Colin

17. Rules are not working

my email rule is not work

1,059 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

294 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you, everyone, for reporting this issue to us. We understand the frustration around this issue that has been ongoing for some time, and are working to track down issues.

In order to help us pinpoint issues, please be as descriptive as possible in highlighting what your specific issue is when posting a comment.

In the meanwhile, here are some instructions and help to attempt to mitigate issues with your Mailbox:

- In order to create rules: 1) Right-click on a specific email and select “Create rule”. 2) Select the overflow menu in the top menu bar and click “Create rule”. 3) Click “Settings” → “Mail” → “Rules” → “Add new rules”

- Rules run in order from top to bottom on your rules list in the rules settings page. If you have a rule created with the option “Stop processing more rules” (enabled by default), once that rule condition…

18. Can no longer drag & drop emails to folders

Can no longer drag and drop emails to folders. It only works if that email is not the current one open. So if I have only one email left in my inbox (I like to keep my inbox empty) I can't drag and drop that last remaining email because that one is "open" I have to click on the little circle to the left of the email, then from the drop down folder menu click on the folder I want it to go to. This is more time consuming .This is using google chrome and IE and from other computers…

1,167 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

131 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 4,761 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1142 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! The colorful circles are what we call Sender Images. If you have a photo for that contact, it will be displayed when you have an email from them. When you don’t have a photo the circles are filled in with color and the initials of the sender.

Now I totally understand that you don’t like them! I know not everyone enjoys every feature we introduce, however we do offer flexibility by disabling them if you don’t like them.

To turn these off do the following:
    1) Click on the Gear in the upper right hand corner
    2) In the Quick Settings Pane that opened look for Sender Photos
    3) You can enable or disable the Sender photos right there.

Thanks for the feedback, and please keep it coming!

David Los

20. Dark theme with dark mode and dark writing pan

dark theme is not available with dark mode also in dark mode the writing pan is still in light mode. make it dark as well to avoid eyes irritation and save battery life as well

160 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 72 73
  • Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base