OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

The new Outlook.com

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Small message displaying area

The screen is divided into four parts where the message displaying area looks small, it feels congested to me. The round icon colour for the contacts can be darker so it would blend in with the UI. The fonts look good, spam filter is awesome, surfing speed is good, and ads on the right side is not that annoying till now for me.

388 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

208 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experiences with the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working to adjust the experience based on all of your feedback. Since we have introduced some settings, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of them.

When you are signed in, you can click on the gear in the top right hand corner. From here it will load the quick settings pane. This pane will allow you to disable/enable features that will make it feel more like the old experience.

Specifically I want to call out the Reading Pane. The old experience had the reading pane defaulted to OFF. What I would recommend doing is trying to hide it and see if that helps improve your experience.

Hope this helps

David Los

2. Love Dark Mode

Its fantastic to use dark mode for outlook mail and I hope that you will provide dark mode to other services such as One drive, One note and tasks etc

382 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

106 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. back to inbox

When I delete an email, I don't want to go to previous or next email. I want it to go back to my inbox. When I select do nothing, it stays on the deleted email and I have to click on Inbox to verify it was deleted and get back to inbox. The old version just went back to inbox.

356 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that you can change this setting yourself by taking these steps:

1. Go to Quick Settings (gear icon in the top right) → View full settings → Mail → Layout
    2. Scroll to the Reading Pane section
    3. Under the option: “What do you want to happen when you move or delete the item you are viewing?”, pick the option: “Return to the message list”

If this is the mode you prefer, go right ahead and personalize your Outlook.com that way!

4. categories with colors in calendar

I liked the previous feature of having categories with different colors in the calendar. Having colors makes it easier for me to know what should be done, compared to charms. eg have a red category for deadlines and a green for completed. that way i briefly scan my calendar page and i know all the information i need.

346 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

92 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. GET RID OF FOCUSED MAIL NOW!

Get rid of the focused mail!, just sort by date cause i have to go through extra steps to find mail thats not there cause it didnt meet the criteria of focused, whatever that may be.

332 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

191 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using outlook.com, and for providing such great actionable feedback!

I just wanted to let you all know that if you don’t like the Focused Inbox, you are able to easily disable it. When you disable it you will get all of your inbox items in a single view.

To do this, do the following:

1) Click on the Gear in the top right,
    2) this opens the Quick Settings Pane, from here look for Focused Inbox. Turn it off.

Hope this helps!

6. 326 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello – First off thanks for using outlook.com, and thanks for providing the great feedback.

From your suggestions, I believe that you are wanting to get a view that is pretty much like the old experience. There are a variety of controls/options that have been introduced that will help you achieve something close.

To do this follow the following steps

1) When you are in the new outlook.com experience/Beta, click on the gear in the top right.
    2) This opens the Quick Settings Pane, I would recommend you toggle off the following to match the old experience.
    – Reading Pane - Set it it to OFF
    – Sender Image – Set it to OFF
    – Message Preview Text – Set it to OFF
    – Focused/Other – Set it to OFF

Hope this helps!

7. Make it easier to reply from different aliases

It's possible to enter full reply mode (instead of using quick reply, "add a message") and then show all options for aliases to reply from, but it's cumbersome.

Please make the different aliases associated with my account more accessible to me from the quick reply and the full reply modes.

326 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  25 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Preview Pane - Options to disable, resize and move locations

I am very fond of my privacy and am not happy about the fact that everything shows a preview. (even with the 'Hide reading pane' option selected) Please implement the option te let us choose wether or not we want our e-mails to be previewed!
    e.g.: The first e-mail in my private inbox folder is an e-mail with pictures of a new bra my wife bought, of wich she is very proud.
    When I then am sitting next to my coworker and open Outlook to show him the pictures of my fishing trip last weekend, my wife's new bra is…

315 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

184 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks you very much for using outlook.com and for taking the time to provide all of the great feedback. I wanted to take a moment to let you know that there are now some additional options that should address the feedback in this posting.

1) You are now able to disable or enable the Reading Pane. This can be done right from the Quick Settings Menu. Just click the Gear in the top right

2) You are also able to change the location of the reading Pane. Instead of Just to the right you can also select on the bottom. Again this is found under the Gear menu in the top right.

3) Also, some folks have asked to make sure that no message is selected by default when you sign-in to Outlook.com. This setting is also an option.

To select that follow these steps:

Click the Gear in the…

9. Search results do not show what folder a message is in

In the previous version of Outlook, there was a column to show in what folder the message was found. Now it only displays the list of messages. Due to this, there is no way to know if the messages displayed are in Deleted Items, Inbox, Outbox, or custom folders. This is a pretty important feature for keeping emails organized.

The "top results" makes search results more confusing. About 98% of the time I'm seeking a message from a sender and enter that into the search box. I don't need "top results" such as what an internet search performs. Just show…

314 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Beta not good for me

The new version is not good because the many parameters and adjustable options of the old version have disappeared. I need to be able to set more than what is possible in the new version, as rules of messages, aliases, ....

306 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello – First off, I just wanted to thank everyone for responding and providing all of the valuable feedback. More importantly I also want to thank you for using Outlook.com.

I did want to update everyone and let them know that we have re-introduced all of the options that were in the old experience. This took a bit of time, as we wanted to make sure we were designing simplified experiences for everyone.

Please keep the great feedback coming!

David Los

11. When you delete a message it goes back to the inbox instead of next message even though the settings are set to go to next message

When you delete a message it goes back to the inbox instead of next message even though the settings are set to go to next message

303 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  77 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. I like to hover over junkmail emails to see the email address to see if it is spam or legit - I cant do that on the new version.

I like to hover over junkmail emails to see the email address to see if it is spam or legit - I cant do that on the new version.

296 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I would like to thank you all for using Outlook.com.
    And even more importantly thank you for taking the time to offer such detailed and actionable feedback.

I did want to send a quick update and let you know that we now have the ability to hoover over an email and see the actual email address.

Please feel free to give it a try and offer any additional feedback!

Thanks

David Los

13. Advanced search

How do I do an advanced search in the beta? Specifically, how do I search by date?

274 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

165 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello – I just wanted to let you know that we have enabled search date ranges in the new Outlook.com experience.

If you click into the search bar at the top of the screen, you will see a filter view in the right of the search box. If you click that you can see you can now enter date ranges.

Hope this helps!

David Los

14. Search calendar feature needed

We would like to search the calendar for events like we can for emails

274 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

117 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Shrinking emails!!

the ads cause the email to shrink and makes it very hard to see the email. could you please remove the ads on the right side. Thanks

272 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about the new Outlook.com experience! We truly value it and appreciate you picking us for your email!

I did want to take a few seconds and let you all know that there is an option to get an ad free experience of Outlook.com. If you have an Office 365 subscription, one of the benefits is an ad free experience on Outlook.com.

You can get an Office 365 subscription by clicking on the Get Premium button in the left hand column.

For those that don’t want to get a subscription there are two other options that might feel better. First you can turn off the Reading pane. This will give more space when you open up a message.

Secondly, you are able to double click on a message and open it in a pop-out window.

Hope this helps!

David Los

16. Bring back Sweep

Sweep is one of the best and most useful features of Outlook, and it seems to have been completely removed from the Beta... PLEASE bring it back!

269 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

111 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com Beta! We’re happy to say ‘Sweep’ does exist; select any number of messages and click the ‘Sweep’ button on the top bar (below Search). You then have various options to sweep your selected emails!

17. Permanently delete old messages and recover other deleted items

I like to be able to PERMANENTLY delete old messages. In the Deleted folder I select "Recover Deleted" and then Purge from that back-up folder. (Incidentally, "Select All" on right-click does not appear to work in Alpha.)
    What is the position re deleted messages in Beta? Recover Deleted is not offered.

261 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for all of the great feedback on Outlook.com. The funcationality to view deleted items, as well as quickly purge them all has rolled out to all users.

You can find it by navigating over to the Beta, and clicking on Deleted Items. You will notice at the top of the page there is a link to view the previously deleted items. From here there is a one click delete all in case you want to purge it.

Thanks again for all of the feedback, and please keep it coming!

David Los

18. PLEASE HELP WITH JUNK and SPAM!

PLEASE HELP WITH JUNK and SPAM!

I am getting A TON of really inappropriate and obviously spam e-mails. Whatever MSN and Hotmail are currently doing to ensure these do not come to our mailboxes (ANY folder, including JUNK - I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THIS!) is not working. Can I PLEASE speak to someone about this problem. It's been increasing over the last year and I'm really tired of it. It's not appropriate and these are very clearly not "real" e-mails. I do not have time in the day to block individually. PLEASE contact me about this problem. I'm…

253 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

360 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to report your issues with our spam filters, as well as for using Outlook.com.

I just wanted to let you all know that as of this morning we have made some changes to our spam filters. This should help reduce some of the levels of spam you may have been experiencing.

Thanks

David Los

19. Block Sender Email Address Confirmation

when you click on block to block a sender, display the email address it's blocking and a yes/no option to confirm. this is on the existing

257 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Reply, Reply All, Forward, and Send missing

The Reply All & Forward email is missing

250 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

146 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, Thank you all for using the new outlook.com experience and for reporting feedback!

The reply/reply-all/forward buttons are now available on the upper right corner of each email. You can also find reply/reply-all/forward in the command bar near the top of the screen when Conversation view is turned off.

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base