OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

The new Outlook.com

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Rule Move all messages in the Inbox folder and all future messages "when creating a rule.

Hello, Devs

Please return the option to Move all messages in the Inbox folder and all future messages when creating a rule, it is of extreme importance this feature, THAT EXISTS THE YEARS in the classic version and was withdrawn in the new one.

Why did they do that? They have taken a role that is important in day-to-day life.

642 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

57 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback.

To create the sweep rule to move all messages from a user in the Inbox folder and all future messages:
    1) Select the email or emails with the senders you which to move
    2) Click the “Sweep” Button or click “Move-to → Move all emails from”
    3) Select the option “Move all messages from the Inbox folder and any future messages”
    4) Choose the folder you wish to move these messages to
    5) Click “Ok”

2. Ability to change default font and size

I want the ability to change the default font in the beta, and also change the font size.

639 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

113 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback and support.

For people who want to change the default font face and font size when they write email, the Setting has been available under Mail > Compose and reply > Message format (the direct link there is https://outlook.live.com/mail/options/mail/messageContent)

For people who want to make their regular Outlook.com page use a larger text size, we’d like to encourage the use of their browser’s built-in Zoom functions. Since received content is primarily formatted by the sender, using the browser’s Zoom is the best way to preserve the fidelity of all received content.

Once again, thank you for reaching out.

3. Keep it simple.

Email isn't for emojis & bright colors. Keep it clean and simple. There's too much noise everywhere else in the world.

I use my personal email to communicate with friends and family. I don't need to be entertained and over stimulated by gimmicks. I just want to send a message and easily find the ones I've received.

596 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I want to thank each and everyone of you for using Outlook.com and for taking the time to provide feedback on the new experience.

I know that a few different topics got merged down into this suggestion, so I wanted to offer some broad guidance on how you might configure the new experience to get it to look more like what you want.

Lets start off with the feedback about not wanting the bright colored circles, emojis, and joyful animations. All of these can be disabled. Click on the gear in the top right hand corner, this will load the quick setting pane. From here first disable the Sender Photos. This removes the colored circles with initials.

Then continue to scroll down and select view all Options. In this options page select Compose and Reply. In this page look for Joyful animations. turning this off will eliminate the…

4. Why did you change my settings? Messages in reverse order

I clicked on your “Try the beta” ad and all my messages are in reverse order… like, the unread emails are now at the bottom of the conversation. I spent some time in that mode because I didn’t see a way to change it back. Eventually I got used to it and it kinda makes sense now I think about it with everything in chronological order from top to bottom. I wish you asked first though. Not cool, Outlook.com.

Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft.

PS: yeah, I found the way to change the mode in the settings panel. i’m staying…

593 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

75 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I simply do not like it. I do not understand why you people continue to ***** up an email service that did not need to be changed.

I simply do not like it. I do not understand why you people continue to ***** up an email service that did not need to be changed. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original Hotmail.

586 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

174 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you all for using outlook.com and for providing such great feedback. I wanted to address the feedback that you have left about not being able to do some of the advanced search that you had in the older outlook.com experience.

We actually do have advanced search. When you click in the Search box at the top of the screen, it will expand and there is a “filter” icon. If you click that icon you should be able to do date search, attachments, etc.

Hope this helps

David Los

6. from

Where is the FROM. I am sending a reply, but it is sending form my main email account. How do I change it so that it is FROM my alias?

582 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for using Outlook.com! To change the email address you’re sending from, do the following:

1. Use the expansion button and open a dropdown of message actions (contains Save Draft, Insert Signature, …)
    2. Choose “Show From”
    3. Use the “From” button to change the email address you’re sending from

We look forward to your continued feedback.

7. I liked the old hotmail from the late nineties better.

Hotmail keeps getting more non-user friendly with each update. There's no need for Focused and Other folders. The constant pop-ups to announce new mail is annoying. I've also had mail to inadvertently disappear into the Deleted folder while I'm trying to read it. I used to get emails to announce appointments from the Calendar. Now I just get a temporary pop-up that I often miss. Also, I cannot delete old contacts that I no longer wish to have. Please let me have the version from the late nineties when Hotmail was use-friendly.

559 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off…

8. Please bring back Delete All to Other Inbox

It was easier to "Delete All" messages from "Other Inbox" in previous version. Now, select all has to be checked, delete has to be pressed, pop up asks if we're sure, then we can delete. Too many steps added.

536 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I want to thank each and everyone of you for providing such great feedback. As well as thank you for using outlook.com.

I wanted to let you know that there is indeed an easy way to delete all items from the “Other” inbox. To do this, do the following

1) Click On the Other Inbox icon at the top of the message list.
    2) Click the little circle that is to the left of Focused. This will select all items in Other.
    3) Click Delete at the top or in the reading pane to the right.

Hope this helps!

9. Keyboard shortcuts not working

I'm trying the new open beta. In this preview, the keyboard shortcuts are not working. Even tried with different kb-shortcuts like Outlook.com, Gmail, ... It is set to Outlook (not Outlook.com) by default. The shortcuts were working in the old layout. Please fix ASAP.

492 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

275 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Missing recover deleted items in beta

I would like it you put the feature back for recover deleted items. I now have to switch out of Beta twice to undelete a message that I deleted by accident

476 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

61 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for using the Outlook.com beta! We are happy to announce that the “Recover deleted items” feature has now been added.

To access it, please switch to your “Deleted items” folder, and then click “Recover items deleted from this folder” below the Deleted items folder header.

11. Make it easier to make Safe Sender

In older versions of Hotmail, it was very easy to mark a sender in junk to be on the white list. Now it is extremely involved to mark a sender as safe. What little functionality there is for this just does 1 mail not the actual sender. Additionally, the fancy new addons with java script make it more difficult to get the email address of the sender you want to mark as safe making a messy workflow even more cumbersome. Outlook has some best filters of any email service but this functionality has gone from bad to worse over the…

443 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can now add senders to your safe sender list by clicking into an email, then click the “…” menu located at the top right of the email, and selecting “Add to Safe senders”.

You can also view and add multiple senders to your Safe senders list at a time by going to Settings → Mail → Junk email → Safe senders and domains → Add.

12. Still not opening PDF attached to emails.

The only way to see them is to download them to OneDrive's email attachment folder (direct download of attachment don't working either).

440 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

65 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. It is not functional, it disperses me, before I found everything much faster. I do not like. Thanks for letting me comment.

It is not functional, it disperses me, before I found everything much faster. I do not like. Thanks for letting me comment.

413 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

14. Where is the block button in junk mail?

Where is the block button in junk mail? I used to be able to instantly block an address, now I have to open the email, cut and paste the address, and go to settings to block?! I thought updates were supposed to make things easier, not add more work.

408 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

140 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for using Outlook.com!

To block a user from the junk email folder, either:
    - Select one or more emails and click the “Not Junk” dropdown in the top menu bar → “Block”
    - Right-click on an email and select “Block”.

Note: In non-junk folders, the option to block a user is under the “Junk” dropdown in the top menu bar

15. Beta version is good but too slow. I don't like messages organized by month, it's difficult to diferentiate between new, flaged and old msgs

Beta version is good but too slow. I don't like messages organized by month, it's difficult to diferentiate between new, flaged and old msgs

403 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

128 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off I would like to thank everyone for providing all of this great feedback. We truly do read every piece of it and discuss how we can incorporate it into outlook.com

I did want to address the feedback about the date separators in the message list. There have been a variety of people wishing that they can disable these.

I am happy to say that we now support this!

To disable them, do these simple steps

1) Click on the Gear in the top right hand corner.
    2) Disable the Group messages by Date

Once you have done that it will get rid of all of the date headers.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

David Los

16. add attendee

There is no way to add someone to a meeting in the edit menu. Seriously?!?

402 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

173 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 399 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

130 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! We really appreciate this usability feedback. The reply/reply-all/forward options are there under a menu in the upper right corner of an email, but we understand they are not discoverable enough for you and we are considering several solutions. We will reply when we have an update.

Update August 17: We are working on making the individual buttons readily available.

Update August 18: We have fixed this. Please don’t stop giving us your feedback on the Outlook.com beta!

18. Small message displaying area

The screen is divided into four parts where the message displaying area looks small, it feels congested to me. The round icon colour for the contacts can be darker so it would blend in with the UI. The fonts look good, spam filter is awesome, surfing speed is good, and ads on the right side is not that annoying till now for me.

388 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

208 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experiences with the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working to adjust the experience based on all of your feedback. Since we have introduced some settings, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of them.

When you are signed in, you can click on the gear in the top right hand corner. From here it will load the quick settings pane. This pane will allow you to disable/enable features that will make it feel more like the old experience.

Specifically I want to call out the Reading Pane. The old experience had the reading pane defaulted to OFF. What I would recommend doing is trying to hide it and see if that helps improve your experience.

Hope this helps

David Los

19. Love Dark Mode

Its fantastic to use dark mode for outlook mail and I hope that you will provide dark mode to other services such as One drive, One note and tasks etc

382 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

105 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. back to inbox

When I delete an email, I don't want to go to previous or next email. I want it to go back to my inbox. When I select do nothing, it stays on the deleted email and I have to click on Inbox to verify it was deleted and get back to inbox. The old version just went back to inbox.

356 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that you can change this setting yourself by taking these steps:

1. Go to Quick Settings (gear icon in the top right) → View full settings → Mail → Layout
    2. Scroll to the Reading Pane section
    3. Under the option: “What do you want to happen when you move or delete the item you are viewing?”, pick the option: “Return to the message list”

If this is the mode you prefer, go right ahead and personalize your Outlook.com that way!

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base