OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Beta has changed the format of my outlook email, formerly hotmail. I cannot use it adequately. Please help.

If your users are dissatisfied, it would make sense to change back because BETA is causing headaches. Dissatisfied users will jump ship.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

2. Want Classic Back too!

The colors on Classic were dark and distinct. Every entry I made was categorized and I could easily tell an appt, from something related to my daughters school to a simple reminder. Now with Beta the colors are all muted, pastel and on some entries, don't even exist. Why would you change it? It looks weak. At least bring back the vibrant colors option.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! We have just released an option to switch to more saturated calendar colors in the new Outlook.

If you would like to try out this experience, please click on the gear icon in the top right of your calendar module to access your settings, and toggle “Bold event colors”.

3. Restore email address to message header

The sender's email address has been removed from the header so that only the display name is disclosed. I know I can click on the display name but that is work.

It also opens the door for spoofing if an attacker includes an email address in his display name though I have not tried to see if there is a mitigation in place.

718 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. In the beta version, "Create rule..." from message is not available. Bummer.

When I get an email, in the existing version of outlook web, I can just select the message and "Create rule..."
    to send that message to a folder or forward it to another email ID

In outlook.com Beta, I do not see that feature.

688 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re happy to say “Create rule” from a message is now in the beta! Same as the regular version, simply right-click on any message and select this option. You can also view your entire list of rules (including those you created in your regular Outlook) by going into Full settings > Mail > Rules.

Currently you can only create a rule to move messages from selected senders to a folder, however, more options are coming soon!

5. show from

When writing an email, I'd like the option to always display the FROM line as a default. I use several email addresses and this would let me know which one is in use at any time.

156 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

104 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you very much for providing the valuable feedback and for using Outlook.com. We truly do appreciate it!

I did want to let you know that based on your feedback, we have added back the FROM drop down on the compose form when you have multiple email accounts/aliases.

We hope that this helps improve the new Client experience for everyone.

Please keep the feedback coming!

Thanks

David Los

6. Missing emails

Now that emails have somehow been prioritised, other emails seem to be missing or extremely hard to find. The previous list of ALL emails in order of when received seems much simpler.

140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

209 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I would like to personally thank you all for using outlook.com and for providing all of the great feedback.

It seems that there are a couple of issues that got reported on this topic. They are that some people seem to be missing email that they saw previously, or are not seeing new emails that are coming in. And secondly, they want to view their email in one list instead of the Focused Other view.

Both of these should be a simple fix.

To disable Focused Other follow these simple steps

1) Login to your outlook.com mailbox
    2) In the top right there is a Gear icon, This is settings click it.
    3) This opens up the quick settings view. From here you can disabled Focused Inbox.

Once you have it disabled you will go back to the old view where everything is in a single Inbox view.

7. Manage Subscriptions

Manage Subscriptions: Unable to delete many unwanted subscriptions. Some delete easy, some delete after re-routing to webpage (annoying), some won't delete at all (receive error message).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

8. Account Verification: I am trying to verify and the verification puzzle is stalling. I cannot send an important email.

I am trying to verify and the verification puzzle is stalling. I cannot send an important email.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. New feedback

I do NOT like the "new look" you have forced us to use for Outlook. It's supposed to be email, not a messaging app. I much prefer the Classic version.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

10. Beta version is good but too slow. I don't like messages organized by month, it's difficult to diferentiate between new, flaged and old msgs

Beta version is good but too slow. I don't like messages organized by month, it's difficult to diferentiate between new, flaged and old msgs

403 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

129 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off I would like to thank everyone for providing all of this great feedback. We truly do read every piece of it and discuss how we can incorporate it into outlook.com

I did want to address the feedback about the date separators in the message list. There have been a variety of people wishing that they can disable these.

I am happy to say that we now support this!

To disable them, do these simple steps

1) Click on the Gear in the top right hand corner.
    2) Disable the Group messages by Date

Once you have done that it will get rid of all of the date headers.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

David Los

11. I liked the old hotmail from the late nineties better.

Hotmail keeps getting more non-user friendly with each update. There's no need for Focused and Other folders. The constant pop-ups to announce new mail is annoying. I've also had mail to inadvertently disappear into the Deleted folder while I'm trying to read it. I used to get emails to announce appointments from the Calendar. Now I just get a temporary pop-up that I often miss. Also, I cannot delete old contacts that I no longer wish to have. Please let me have the version from the late nineties when Hotmail was use-friendly.

560 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off…

12. With the new Beta version I am not abl eto download attachments - please help!

With the new Beta version I am not able to download attachments - please help!

229 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

88 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Hey, can't seem to find my whitelist settings in beta, needed because all non whitelisted emails go to junk as default.

Hey, can't seem to find my whitelist settings in beta, needed because all non whitelisted emails go to junk as default.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

14. calendar colors changed

Why would you change the colors from one version to the next. Keep the colors the same in the new version.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! We have just released an option to switch to more saturated calendar colors in the new Outlook.

If you would like to try out this experience, please click on the gear icon in the top right of your calendar module to access your settings, and toggle “Bold event colors”.

15. Hate the page set up. Like the other way better.

Hate the page set up. Like the other way better

135 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re sorry to hear you’re not enjoying your current experience. You can change your layout view by:

1. Going to Settings (Gear icon in the top-right)
    2. Reading pane > Hide (it’s a radio button)

You can also further personalize many elements of your view by:

1. Going to Settings (Gear icon in the top-right)
    2. View full settings → Mail → Layout

16. The colours to choose are so ugly and not enough of them anyway.

The colours to choose are so ugly and not enough of them anyway.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17. It's to har do block junk mail domains

Since number of same mails from not so serious senders are sent from a number of different domains. i would like to have a button to block the domain directly in the UI. It is quite cumbersome to copy domain and add it to the block domain list.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

18. New feedback

This format is ridiculous - not user friendly

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

19. Missing recover deleted items in beta

I would like it you put the feature back for recover deleted items. I now have to switch out of Beta twice to undelete a message that I deleted by accident

476 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

61 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for using the Outlook.com beta! We are happy to announce that the “Recover deleted items” feature has now been added.

To access it, please switch to your “Deleted items” folder, and then click “Recover items deleted from this folder” below the Deleted items folder header.

20. colors suck

brighter colors on bata now that we are forced onto it.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 2 5 7 9 95 96
  • Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base